PDA

View Full Version : Stinking header bolts!!! I need advice...

PaulFiveOh
04-28-2007, 06:44 PM
So on the driver side, header bolt number 2 starting from the front of the car, wont even begin to thread, i got most of the others ones in there tight, like bolts 3 and 4 next to it, and bolt 1 on the very front, but for the life of me cant get number 2 to thread....what gives? they are one piece long tubes so its not its an allignment problem....at least i think.

Any advice?

Gearhead
04-29-2007, 09:02 AM
You might want to loosen up all the other bolts, so that you can move the header around a little. Then, try to thread the bolt. Usually, on a header install it's better to get all the bolts in very loosely first, then tighten them all up....

85_SS_302_Coupe
04-29-2007, 09:13 AM
Is this on a 5.0? Either way....i don't know what style bolts you're using but i'd advise you to take a trip to Lowes or another hardware store with a good selection of bolts, and match up the bolts you have with some good high quality allen head bolts. This will allow you to tighten them MUCH easier than with a socket, and you can usually get them started easier. You can even get an allen head socket if you still wanna use a ratchet, but the allen key makes it easier in tight spots.

dedpedal
04-29-2007, 09:22 AM
Ive had to cut a blt or two down in length to get them to fit around the curve of the header tube. Thats allways the third bolt I put in on each side (after the two outer bolts are started). I dont tigthen any of them till they are all hand threaded in either.

PaulFiveOh
04-29-2007, 09:28 AM
Whoops, forgot to mention 93 302W.

They are those Autozone locking bolts and they are cheesy because if i am just a hair off with the allen bit, it will strip the the inside of em out.....

and as far as modifying the actual bolt.....thats way outta my leauge!

What kind of issues will I see if I am only running lets say 6 out of 8 bolts?

dedpedal
04-29-2007, 09:30 AM
blown header gaskets and tons of noisy leaks. Not to mention the ecu will be freaked out trying to tune for the extra ait it sees in the exhaust,

89notch
04-29-2007, 11:10 AM
blown header gaskets and tons of noisy leaks. Not to mention the ecu will be freaked out trying to tune for the extra ait it sees in the exhaust,

he doesnt have any o2 sensors

wild87stang
04-29-2007, 02:03 PM
Man at least you have longtubes lol i just put my offroad h-pipe on my 92gt friday nite/saturday morning it was a bitch i snaped all four bolt to the flowtubes so had to go to tractor supply for that and i should have gotton new header bolts to but i had to tighten up the header bolts like 5 times and keep springy them with wd-40 and pb blaster i have it all tight for the most part but still have a small leak somwhere cause i can still smell the exauhst fumes! But if all else fells tap and die the thread hole and put in a slightly bigger bolt and nut!

GotTorque?
05-03-2007, 09:50 PM
Did you try taking all the other bolts out and starting that one first? I had to do that with my Flowtech headers.

PaulFiveOh
05-03-2007, 10:13 PM
I got em all in.....but there all to long....so it didnt seal. :( I have to start all over again.....boo.

GotTorque?
05-03-2007, 10:24 PM
I'd start with the trouble bolt, if you can. Tighten them, start the motor and let them warm up, then re-torque them (after it cools back down ;) ).

plated
05-03-2007, 10:33 PM
are they individual tube style or do they have a flange? if there individual type chances are the tubes are bent junk'em get a flange style header they will always be a pita

PaulFiveOh
05-03-2007, 11:51 PM
They are a one piece flange.