PDA

View Full Version : Need help working the new car bugs out!

5.0calypso93lx
04-30-2007, 02:07 PM
Finally took the car out for the maiden voyage yesterday to the cruise. Went pretty smooth overall, but there are definately a couple issues that need to be worked out.

1) The speedometer/odometer don't work all the time. After cruising down the highway, they just decided to stop working, but worked later on shortly, and then quit working again. Is there a bolt that holds the cable into the transmission? I also need to put my white gear on at some point.

2) When I was getting on 75 south from cincy dayton, I pushed the clutch in to go around the turn getting on the on ramp, and the car died??? Not sure what thats all about.

3) The dipstick does not seat all the way down into the block. I looked down in there last night, and it appears there might be something down in the block, maybe the old dipstick broke off? What is the best way to get that out, without having the drop the pan? Would an easy out work?

4) My buddy that was driving with me, said he noticed the car smoking a little bit, and I found out when I got home that I didn't do such a good job of sealing the back of the lower intake manifold to the block, so looks like that is coming back off and getting resealed. I'm also wondering if this would be a good time to throw a cam in, since I'm gonna have to pull the lower manifold anyway??

fst 5pto
04-30-2007, 02:12 PM
You don't have the balls to put a cam in :flipoff:

5.0calypso93lx
04-30-2007, 02:17 PM
You don't have the balls to put a cam in :flipoff:

We'll see about that :evilgrin:

PaulFiveOh
04-30-2007, 02:57 PM
You have to take the timing cover off as well to change a cam....its not that easy with the engine in the car IMO.

fst 5pto
04-30-2007, 03:18 PM
You have to take the timing cover off as well to change a cam....its not that easy with the engine in the car IMO.

Don't give him any doubts.... then he may have a somewhat "credible" excuse to back out! :lol:

Timido
05-01-2007, 09:52 AM
I dont use the cork on the intake gaskets. I only use the side gaskets and silicone on the front and rear of the intake

5.0calypso93lx
05-01-2007, 10:01 AM
I dont use the cork on the intake gaskets. I only use the side gaskets and silicone on the front and rear of the intake

Yea, thats exactly what I did, I guess I just didn't do a good enough job :confused:

I used to high temp orange silicon, is that the right one to use, or should I use the regular black silicon?

Timido
05-01-2007, 11:32 AM
I just use black silicone just dont use too much. Do you have the pcv breather back there? it could be leaking also.

5.0calypso93lx
05-01-2007, 12:17 PM
I just use black silicone just dont use too much. Do you have the pcv breather back there? it could be leaking also.

I'll check that out also, but I'm pretty sure I put a brand new PCV valve back there. I already have the orange hi temp silicon, is it ok if I just use that, or should I go get the black stuff?

Gearhead
05-01-2007, 12:43 PM
Finally took the car out for the maiden voyage yesterday to the cruise. Went pretty smooth overall, but there are definately a couple issues that need to be worked out.

1) The speedometer/odometer don't work all the time. After cruising down the highway, they just decided to stop working, but worked later on shortly, and then quit working again. Is there a bolt that holds the cable into the transmission? I also need to put my white gear on at some point.

2) When I was getting on 75 south from cincy dayton, I pushed the clutch in to go around the turn getting on the on ramp, and the car died??? Not sure what thats all about.

These both could be due to the same thing. Do you have your VSS (vehicle speed sensor) hooked up and working ?? The VSS keeps the RPM's up when you are slowing down and coming to a stop. Once you're stopped, then it should drop down to idle.
The speedo cable attaches into the VSS and is held in place with a small metal clip, the VSS is then attached to the tailshaft with a small bolt. Also, if you're using an aftermarket speedo gear, some of them are made pretty cheap with thin teeth and have a tendency to get chewed up easily, especially the 21 and 23 tooth gears.

5.0calypso93lx
05-01-2007, 01:11 PM
These both could be due to the same thing. Do you have your VSS (vehicle speed sensor) hooked up and working ?? The VSS keeps the RPM's up when you are slowing down and coming to a stop. Once you're stopped, then it should drop down to idle.
The speedo cable attaches into the VSS and is held in place with a small metal clip, the VSS is then attached to the tailshaft with a small bolt. Also, if you're using an aftermarket speedo gear, some of them are made pretty cheap with thin teeth and have a tendency to get chewed up easily, especially the 21 and 23 tooth gears.

Hmmm, what does this VSS look like? I have an extra sensor down by the tranny that I cannot figure out where it goes. It is threaded on the end, and has this little ball inside the tip, that I can press down with my finger. If thats it, no I don't have it plugged in :D :HYF:

5.0calypso93lx
05-01-2007, 01:12 PM
Also, if you're using an aftermarket speedo gear, some of them are made pretty cheap with thin teeth and have a tendency to get chewed up easily, especially the 21 and 23 tooth gears.

I have a white aftermarket gear that I got from Craig, but have yet to install it. I'm not sure how many tooth it is, but its supposed to be the one for 3.73's.

Gearhead
05-01-2007, 03:49 PM
Here's what the speed sensor looks like, the speedo cable goes into the opening on the left and your speedo gear attaches on the right side with a small clip.

5.0calypso93lx
05-01-2007, 03:51 PM
Here's what the speed sensor looks like, the speedo cable goes into the opening on the left and your speedo gear attaches on the right side with a small clip.

Ahh ok, well I do have that in the trans, but I'll have to check it out, and see if I actually bolted it to the trans.

Any idea what that other sensor could be?

8NO4CYL
05-01-2007, 06:34 PM
Might be the sensor that threads into the trans for the reverse lights. Not sure why it would have been unthreaded not unplugged. ???

5.0calypso93lx
05-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Might be the sensor that threads into the trans for the reverse lights. Not sure why it would have been unthreaded not unplugged. ???

The reverse lights work fine though?? Thats what's weird. That plug seems to have no function whatsoever. I'm gonna go snap a pic real quick.

5.0calypso93lx
05-01-2007, 09:52 PM
Ok, here's two pics of that plug:

http://files.tagworld.com/794ab2a1ebfe4b178ea18989b8382ee6.jpeg

http://files.tagworld.com/c7605ca5c1f7415a9feb70da2daf5888.jpeg

Any idea what this is? I got it off of a car a guy was parting out, and it came with one other plug. Both plugs plugged into the factory harness. The other plug was the one with the looped ignition wire, and allowed me to start the car by the key. I have no idea what this other plug is for thougH???

Also got a couple minutes to start tearing off the intake manifold to find exactly where my oil leak was coming from. Turns out the PCV valve was broken off !!:HYF:

http://files.tagworld.com/a294bbbeeb4c4a2eb7af54661949b91e.jpeg

http://files.tagworld.com/20f4b33756304d3f9967377743e5119b.jpeg

I'm really glad I'm doing this though, so I can take my time this time. Before I was so rushed just to get it running, that most of the hoses on the back of the intake as well as the throttle cable were routed very poorly. I also found a bolt broken off that bolts the fuel rail down in the lower manifold, so going to have that drilled out tomorrow. After I borrow some fuel line disconnect tools and a distributor wrench, I'll be able to get the lower all the way off.

Also gonna clean up the entire engine bay, after I had a little mishap with a fuel line spraying gas everywhere...

8NO4CYL
05-02-2007, 05:47 AM
That threads into the side of the T5 kinda in the middle.

5.0calypso93lx
05-02-2007, 09:00 AM
That threads into the side of the T5 kinda in the middle.

Ok, any idea what its for?

Timido
05-03-2007, 10:48 AM
I think that sensor on some years told the eec the car was in nuetral it should go into the top cover that all the shift rails are on. If you have a different year trans it might not have the correct cover. If the car runs right I would just leave the sensor unplugged.

5.0calypso93lx
05-03-2007, 01:46 PM
I think that sensor on some years told the eec the car was in nuetral it should go into the top cover that all the shift rails are on. If you have a different year trans it might not have the correct cover. If the car runs right I would just leave the sensor unplugged.

That would definately make sense. This trans did not come out of this car, and I couldn't even tell you what year car it did come out of. I believe I got the sensors from a 91 or 92 car. It was a guy off here that was parting his car out up where Kisor's used to be.

I did get the lower intake off last night, and the PCV valve actually looks to be fine. There also wasn't any real noticeable gap where there was no sealant, so that is worrying me a little bit.

5.0calypso93lx
05-05-2007, 10:40 PM
Got the intake back on the car, and did it right this time! Thanks for the extra hand brandon. Car is running great now. Got to lean on it a little bit, and it feels pretty good. Now I just need to get issues 1-3 fixed.

88ssp
05-05-2007, 10:50 PM
So what do you think of that TMoss intake?

fst 5pto
05-05-2007, 10:57 PM
Got the intake back on the car, and did it right this time! Thanks for the extra hand brandon. Car is running great now. Got to lean on it a little bit, and it feels pretty good. Now I just need to get issues 1-3 fixed.

No problem man, just glad it got done and right this time :bigthumb Now I gotta order that proportioning valve eliminator.... on to Cincy Speed Monday morning :D

5.0calypso93lx
05-05-2007, 11:13 PM
No problem man, just glad it got done and right this time :bigthumb Now I gotta order that proportioning valve eliminator.... on to Cincy Speed Monday morning :D

Here's the part number:

FMS M2450 plug

fst 5pto
05-06-2007, 01:23 AM
Here's the part number:

FMS M2450 plug

Excellent thanks!