PDA

View Full Version : Best Heads

codeysgt
04-30-2007, 10:24 PM
i was wondering what kind of heads you guys would recommend for my 4.6 SOHC motor i have a set of patriot but i am wanting to make more power and i talked to fox lake and they have a stage 3 head out now so i was wondering how there quality was and if they make some good power? thanks codey

bobtsgt
05-01-2007, 08:28 AM
fox lake, VT and MMR make some great head stages. Patriots are crap due to quality. I know a couple people like them but there is also a lot of horror stories behind their work as well. your best bet would be to call up Fox Lake and explain everything you want to do to the car. Then they can guide you in the right direction of what heads and cams to look into. The biggest ported heads may not be your best choice unless you have other things to go with the combo.

02mingryGT
05-01-2007, 09:29 AM
fox lake, VT and MMR make some great head stages. Patriots are crap due to quality. I know a couple people like them but there is also a lot of horror stories behind their work as well. your best bet would be to call up Fox Lake and explain everything you want to do to the car. Then they can guide you in the right direction of what heads and cams to look into. The biggest ported heads may not be your best choice unless you have other things to go with the combo.

Patriot does have a bad rep but have done better lately. Their stage 2 heads make just as much power as Fox Lake and VT's. I'm actually leaning hard towards getting some stage 2 heads from them. But to each his own.

But Bob's right you need to talk to Fox Lake/VT and find what would be best for your combo. What stage heads are you running and what cams? Stock bottom end?

codeysgt
05-01-2007, 08:01 PM
its a fully buit motor and it has a procharger on it i making 8psi and will soon be making 14-15 psi i just bought a new pully and plain on boring out a year from now so thats why i was leaning towards the stage 3.

codeysgt
05-01-2007, 08:02 PM
oh and i was seeing who you guys what heads to go with thanks codey

e5shea
05-02-2007, 12:33 AM
Wouldn't you be better off to have the stock heads ported by somebody that knows what they're doing....it would be a lot cheaper with just as much, if not more gain than even a stage III head.

2-8-1
05-03-2007, 03:17 PM
On that note, where is a good place in the southern Ohio/Northern KY region to port heads?

codeysgt
05-04-2007, 06:56 PM
well i decided to just take my heads to a guy named dave layer he is up out of dayton ohio he does real good work and he is going to work them out thanks though

Mr.Moontang
05-05-2007, 11:38 AM
For what it's worth I love my Foxlake stage II heads

Dirtyd0g
05-05-2007, 12:28 PM
I've seen quite a few different sets. The fastest cars run heads from a guy down in florida. I don't remember the name of his shop. If you are serious about getting some heads done get ahold of me and I'll see if I can hook you up.
Alan

Timido
05-05-2007, 07:57 PM
Modular performance, Boss330 Al Pipito, And Fox Lake make good power and are good people!

na svt
05-08-2007, 10:01 AM
The fastest cars run heads from a guy down in florida. I don't remember the name of his shop. If you are serious about getting some heads done get ahold of me and I'll see if I can hook you up.
Alan

The "guy" in Florida gets more press, but his heads are not the best. I'g go with VT, Fox Lake of Modular Performance. Fox Lake does lot of MPs heads but MP also does some of their own for their race engines. Don't forget about Heads Up, they do a lot of heads for NHRA and IHRA stock class cars and they are highly respected...and local.

A lot of HP can be lost by incorrect valvetrain setup so make sure that whoever you choose knows how to correctly setup the lash.

Dirtyd0g
05-08-2007, 04:36 PM
The "guy" in Florida gets more press, but his heads are not the best. I'g go with VT, Fox Lake of Modular Performance. Fox Lake does lot of MPs heads but MP also does some of their own for their race engines. Don't forget about Heads Up, they do a lot of heads for NHRA and IHRA stock class cars and they are highly respected...and local.

A lot of HP can be lost by incorrect valvetrain setup so make sure that whoever you choose knows how to correctly setup the lash.

You are thinking of someone else. The guy I use named Chris builds the heads for many of the fastest cars that saying those names will start flame wars. Everyone uses his product and claims it as their own. I don't know who you are thinking of.
Alan

na svt
05-08-2007, 05:52 PM
You are thinking of someone else. The guy I use named Chris builds the heads for many of the fastest cars that saying those names will start flame wars. Everyone uses his product and claims it as their own. I don't know who you are thinking of.
Alan

Not Chris.