PDA

View Full Version : School me on rebuilding an axle

satan jamez
05-03-2007, 10:58 AM
If I can't find a whole 8.8 than I may just rebuild my 8.8. I need a DIY on upgrading to a 31 spline trac-lock, axles, and complete bearings and races. Will my current 3.73 gear work with everything.

Thanks for your help,
Bob

quik lx
05-03-2007, 12:59 PM
Very simple except the set up of the gear (backlash) I would buy a rebuild kit anyway, Craig at Cincy Speed has them for about 90 bux. Pull the wheels and brake drums off. Pull the diff cover off and drain fluid. Check the backlash with a magnetic dial indicator and write it down somewhere! Push the axles in towards the center of the car, and pull the C clips out with a magnet. Slide the axles out.Unbolt the carrier caps (mark them somehow so they go back in the same place) drop the carrier out,(its heavier than it looks!) keeping track of the amount of shims on both ends of the carrier. If your using the same gear you dont need to pull out the pinion gear. Transfer your ring gear over to your 31 spline carrier, press new bearings onto the carrier. Install the new carrier with all the shims in the same places (for a baseline on backlash). Check the backlash and adjust shims to get it back to what it was when you started(assuming your gear was set up right). Slide in your 31 spline axle's, replace c clips if you didnt go with c-clip eliminators. Reinstall cover,drums, and wheels. Top off the fluid. That is a quick rundown of how to do it!

I have a very low miles 31 spline carrier that shows no wear on the spider gears if you need one.

Dirtyd0g
05-03-2007, 01:15 PM
To do it right you are going to need more tools than the job will cost to do. Save yourself the trouble and take it to Andy @ outlaw racing
I do them from time to time but I really just don't always have the time for them and I am sure Andy has done more of them than me. I do more of the IRS units than jsut about anyone. Solid axle cars I would say the same for Andy.
Alan

glassman
05-03-2007, 10:34 PM
+1 for Andy he can do them in his sleep/blindfolded.
OUTLAW Motorsports
513-732-3244

satan jamez
05-04-2007, 10:20 AM
+1 for Andy he can do them in his sleep/blindfolded.
OUTLAW Motorsports
513-732-3244

Called him yesterday to set it up :bigthumb He did my gear last year and I never thought of him to do this job for me. Thanks guys, it was a good call :)