PDA

View Full Version : injectors dirty?

Ryan218
05-06-2007, 04:06 PM
ive been int he process of getting my 88 running for the past week...so far ive..

dropped the tank cleaned that out, replaced the fuel filter and started her up...she will run..but very rough..... it will idel perfect after about 3 mins of running but when i go to rev it it just wants to bog and die... you have to deep feathering it to get it up in the rpms...when im just sitting at 3k it will run fine there...then after i get it to 4k if i just put it to the floor it will rev up there fine...but from revving it from idel...it just wants to die....

if this dont make any sense to you then ill just get a video of it lol....having a hard time explains it..

this sound like an injector problem...

here is a video of it running...idels fine...

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t302/88Mustang302/th_885.jpg (http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t302/88Mustang302/?action=view&current=885.flv)

and yeah the water pump started leaking and the alternator is not charging...

Stangman
05-06-2007, 04:28 PM
ah, the joys of a project, lol!

have you ran any type of injector cleaner thru it?

I have had VERY good luck with a product that is called "Blaster fuel injector cleaner" its in a clear bottle and is a red liquid, like trans fluid red. From the packaging it appears to be made by the same company who make PB Blaster.

Pull your plugs and check them, regap if neccisary (sp)

check cap and rotor button, look for buildup on the contacts (especiailly if they are aluminum contacts) then inspect your plug wires.

hows the air filter? any creatures make a home in it since its sat?

I reccommend pouring in 2 bottles of the blaster cleaner to a half a tank of 93 gas, then run the whizz outta it,

spray out your Throttle body with air intake cleaner wipe it out with a clean rag, spray your mass air (if u have one which i think u dont)

lastly, get a can of Seafoam fuel treatment and let your car have a drink :bigthumb

do that by pulling off the large vacuum hose that comes off the check valve on the brake booster, get a bendable straw, and let the car suck about half of the bottle out. have someone keep the car from dying, and dont let it suck it all down at once, take it away from it every couple of seconds. then put the hose back on the booster, shut the car off, wait ten minutes, then start it back up and hold it at 2,000 RPM in a well ventilated area, you will know why :lol:

run it till the smoke clears, hopefully that helps :bigthumb

Ryan218
05-06-2007, 05:04 PM
ah, the joys of a project, lol!

have you ran any type of injector cleaner thru it?

I have had VERY good luck with a product that is called "Blaster fuel injector cleaner" its in a clear bottle and is a red liquid, like trans fluid red. From the packaging it appears to be made by the same company who make PB Blaster.

Pull your plugs and check them, regap if neccisary (sp)

check cap and rotor button, look for buildup on the contacts (especiailly if they are aluminum contacts) then inspect your plug wires.

hows the air filter? any creatures make a home in it since its sat?

I reccommend pouring in 2 bottles of the blaster cleaner to a half a tank of 93 gas, then run the whizz outta it,

spray out your Throttle body with air intake cleaner wipe it out with a clean rag, spray your mass air (if u have one which i think u dont)

lastly, get a can of Seafoam fuel treatment and let your car have a drink :bigthumb

do that by pulling off the large vacuum hose that comes off the check valve on the brake booster, get a bendable straw, and let the car suck about half of the bottle out. have someone keep the car from dying, and dont let it suck it all down at once, take it away from it every couple of seconds. then put the hose back on the booster, shut the car off, wait ten minutes, then start it back up and hold it at 2,000 RPM in a well ventilated area, you will know why :lol:

run it till the smoke clears, hopefully that helps :bigthumb

i have some injector cleaner running though it now...

has new plugs, wires, cap, and rotor.....

air filter is fine...

i have no way to get that much gas into the tank...it caint be driven....

sea foam...yeah have that to...but cannot use it becasue the car is backed int he garage and when since it doesnt like to be higher in the rpms is cant be moved... :mad: ive never pulled injectors so what do i do to do it?

Stangman
05-06-2007, 05:14 PM
you will have to yank the upper intake off, and there are 4 screws holding the fuel rails to the lower intake, first relieve the fuel pressure, so things dont get messy.

unplug each injector and wrap the plug on the harness with a piece of tape marked with #1-#8 to prevent confusion.

it may take some convincing, but the injectors will simply pop out of the bottom of the fuel rail, and it may take even more convincing to get them out of the intake, but just continually twist and wiggle them, they will come out, you will be pissed at em and about to go for a bigger "tool" right before they come out :lol: (a lil pb blaster helps)i should know, i just had to take the injectors out of the intake that came off my '89 GT

then soak them in something like parts cleaner or diesel fuel or whatever. then go to the parts store and get new injector o-ring seal kits, usually 1 kit does 2 injectors, atleast thats how they were sold when i was still with Pep Boys. you have to watch it because sometimes the o rings may come off the injector and get stuck in the rail or intake and u may not know it, and pay attention to the angle the plug was at when u took em out, they generally face one direction for easy plug in.

Ryan218
05-06-2007, 05:23 PM
you will have to yank the upper intake off, and there are 4 screws holding the fuel rails to the lower intake, first relieve the fuel pressure, so things dont get messy.

unplug each injector and wrap the plug on the harness with a piece of tape marked with #1-#8 to prevent confusion.

it may take some convincing, but the injectors will simply pop out of the bottom of the fuel rail, and it may take even more convincing to get them out of the intake, but just continually twist and wiggle them, they will come out, you will be pissed at em and about to go for a bigger "tool" right before they come out :lol: (a lil pb blaster helps)i should know, i just had to take the injectors out of the intake that came off my '89 GT

then soak them in something like parts cleaner or diesel fuel or whatever. then go to the parts store and get new injector o-ring seal kits, usually 1 kit does 2 injectors, atleast thats how they were sold when i was still with Pep Boys. you have to watch it because sometimes the o rings may come off the injector and get stuck in the rail or intake and u may not know it, and pay attention to the angle the plug was at when u took em out, they generally face one direction for easy plug in.

how to do i relive the fuel pressure? is there a way to check fuel pressure without buying a gauge? and diesel fuel is fine to soak them in for a bit?

Stangman
05-06-2007, 05:28 PM
how to do i relive the fuel pressure? is there a way to check fuel pressure without buying a gauge? and diesel fuel is fine to soak them in for a bit?

as for checkin without a gauge that would be tough, i bought a fuel pressure tester then just bought a fuel pressure gauge that goes on the rail from Cincy Speed yesterday, either way, u will spend 30 to 40 dollars there unless u rent a tester, but why rent when u could own? lol!

and I have heard of people soaking injectors in diesel fuel, bike chains in diesel fuel, it also makes quick work of grease and oil, so if the injectors are in there long enough it should dissolve the junk in em.

Ryan218
05-06-2007, 08:31 PM
as for checkin without a gauge that would be tough, i bought a fuel pressure tester then just bought a fuel pressure gauge that goes on the rail from Cincy Speed yesterday, either way, u will spend 30 to 40 dollars there unless u rent a tester, but why rent when u could own? lol!

and I have heard of people soaking injectors in diesel fuel, bike chains in diesel fuel, it also makes quick work of grease and oil, so if the injectors are in there long enough it should dissolve the junk in em.

i went out and got a video of what im talking about....

give me a few...its uploading...

edit...here we go...turn you volume up...you will hear it hesitate

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t302/88Mustang302/th_885-1.jpg (http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t302/88Mustang302/?action=view&current=885-1.flv)

Stangman
05-06-2007, 09:41 PM
took a while to load since i have dial up, i see what you mean on the sound, see if you have an extra coil laying around, swap it out with the one on the car and see if that changes anything, my friend Mike thought he was getting fuel cutout above 3,800 RPM, turned out his coil was going bad, u might try a coil before you tear the top of your engine apart

atleast that way you will know if it is or is not a spark issue.

Ryan218
05-06-2007, 09:52 PM
took a while to load since i have dial up, i see what you mean on the sound, see if you have an extra coil laying around, swap it out with the one on the car and see if that changes anything, my friend Mike thought he was getting fuel cutout above 3,800 RPM, turned out his coil was going bad, u might try a coil before you tear the top of your engine apart

atleast that way you will know if it is or is not a spark issue.

good idea...i will try that this weekend...along with pulling the alternator off and testing them.........

Stangman
05-06-2007, 09:54 PM
yeah hopefully you get sumthin figured out on it :bigthumb

Ryan218
05-06-2007, 10:18 PM
yeah hopefully you get sumthin figured out on it :bigthumb

i hope so...i want to have it running by the end of the month...then paint is after that...but that has to wait till i sell my supercoupe...which i dont think will ever happen :mad:

HRSEPWR
05-07-2007, 06:59 PM
Hey Ryan

I can't see your video since the computer I'm at now doesn't have a flash player, but anyway, another thing you might want to try that is relatively easy is the Idle Air Solenoid or sensor. It is mounted on the side of the throttle body spacer at the upper intake.. Try removing this and disassembling it, clean the inside as best you can then re-install. I've had lots idle problems from these when they get dirty. Most of the time I've had to replace this but you may be ok just from cleaning it.. Just a thought... Good luck

Ryan218
05-07-2007, 09:41 PM
Hey Ryan

I can't see your video since the computer I'm at now doesn't have a flash player, but anyway, another thing you might want to try that is relatively easy is the Idle Air Solenoid or sensor. It is mounted on the side of the throttle body spacer at the upper intake.. Try removing this and disassembling it, clean the inside as best you can then re-install. I've had lots idle problems from these when they get dirty. Most of the time I've had to replace this but you may be ok just from cleaning it.. Just a thought... Good luck

it idles perfect....im starting to think it may be the alternator and the coil....the alternator is not charging and i think that is causing the coil to cut in and out?

but hey ill try that after school tuesday and let you guys know what happens

Ryan218
05-08-2007, 03:33 PM
Hey Ryan

no change... :(

Ryan218
05-09-2007, 10:46 PM
im gonna try a new alternator and coil and see what happens....

mustangrfast88
05-10-2007, 01:25 AM
since the car aint charging that sounds liek ti might be your main issues since the battery can only run the car so long and make everything work so long before itself it to low to run everything correctly. i would get the alternator test and if be buy a new one. and then retest the car with the new alternator. if you still have a problem buy a msd blaster 2 coil. you dont want to change to many thing at once because you might have fixed the problem and created another problem

Ryan218
05-10-2007, 08:28 PM
ok..good idea..ill start with a alternator and then see what happens