PDA

View Full Version : Need your guys' opinion on trading my DD for a 99' Lightning??

5.0calypso93lx
05-07-2007, 04:44 PM
I would just like to get your guys' opinion on this. I've got an 04 Sentra, and there is a guy that wants to trade his 99 Lightning for my car, as he needs a four door family car, that has some pep to it. The Lightning is black, and has 89k miles on it. Is there anything I need to look for??

Also, how would you go about trading a car that you don't own? I'm still paying on the Sentra, so its not mine yet. Can I even do a trade still, if its not a dealer?

Kevin Doe
05-07-2007, 04:50 PM
Depending how far you drive to work, gas money could be a huge consideration.

5.0calypso93lx
05-07-2007, 04:52 PM
Depending how far you drive to work, gas money could be a huge consideration.

I drive from Union Center Blvd. straight down 75, and get off at paddock every day. Its about 13 miles each way.

I also just got a quote from my agent, and it knocks off $700 a year!!!

orangedemon331
05-07-2007, 04:57 PM
You would probably have to get a loan to pay your car off before you can trade, but other than that I would trade asap, I love my lightning!! The biggest thing that could go wrong with it is all of the lightnings before 03 have only 4 threads that hold the spark plugs in, sometimes they blow them out!!:eek:

BLWN
05-07-2007, 05:02 PM
Also make sure it had the intercooler fixed. Is it stock? Don't expect it to go anywhere in snow without at least some all season tires.

5.0calypso93lx
05-07-2007, 05:10 PM
Also make sure it had the intercooler fixed. Is it stock? Don't expect it to go anywhere in snow without at least some all season tires.

Its got an SCT programmer on it, but is otherwise all stock. Any other problems I should ask about? How are the trannies in these things?

5.0calypso93lx
05-07-2007, 05:13 PM
You would probably have to get a loan to pay your car off before you can trade, but other than that I would trade asap, I love my lightning!! The biggest thing that could go wrong with it is all of the lightnings before 03 have only 4 threads that hold the spark plugs in, sometimes they blow them out!!:eek:

So I just need to get a loan to pay the sentra off, and then after I get my actual title and trade, that new loan will be the loan for the truck then?

BLWN
05-07-2007, 05:17 PM
So I just need to get a loan to pay the sentra off, and then after I get my actual title and trade, that new loan will be the loan for the truck then?

It depends if he has the title or not as the bank probably won't loan you the money to pay off the sentra without the title for the lightning.

They don't have many problems, so if it was kept up on maintenance and it drives good than you should be okay. Like orangedemon mentioned, its a good thing to check the plugs regularly as they can loosed up and blow out.

MADMOD
05-07-2007, 05:23 PM
I tried to do this samething with DriverMods old car and the bank said that they do not put leans against cars that are over 7yrs old. I would have had to get a personal loan and the intrest was outrages.

white01
05-07-2007, 07:39 PM
Don't get the MOD bug with the Lightning. I've got one and they are not cheap to MOD. Good luck

Rich

85_SS_302_Coupe
05-07-2007, 07:45 PM
I'd do that trade in a heartbeat if you could work out the loan part.

DeckerEnt
05-07-2007, 08:01 PM
To trade vehicles, the sentra would have to be paid off. Go to your bank and see about a loan. Tell them what you are doing and maybe they could work something out. You would have to guarantee the loan with something other than the sentra since it will be transferred out of your name. What is the pay off? Is the truck worth it?
Keith

Gearhead
05-07-2007, 08:24 PM
I use my 04 Lightning as a DD and have had zero problems with it, just goes through tires real quick !! It gets about 13-14 mpg on the highway.

Gas prices are killing me right now, I have a 70 mile round trip each day.....

bobtsgt
05-08-2007, 08:26 AM
I would do it like yesterday. Unless you have to get an outrageous interest loan. Your Sentra is nice but a Lightning would be so much better :D

RACEME
05-08-2007, 08:31 AM
Do you have a good realationship with your bank? You might be able to do a collateral title swap without getting a new loan. It never hurts to just call and ask what your options are.

IEATLT1
05-08-2007, 08:54 AM
Ok... I just sold mine not to long ago.... Like stated before on the 4 thread heads. But I believe they changed the head in 2002 as my 2002 had the new style on it and was stock. anyways Tires are as stated 225+ cheapest I found then had to have them shipped and mounted. Make sure the f150 crusie control recall is fixed if not as soon as you get it take it in.

PaulFiveOh
05-08-2007, 08:57 AM
Ok are you serious!? A 400+ hp Supercharged Truck that can haul shit and possibly tow your ride and can run 13.50's out of the box for a sentra!
Am I missing something?

Hell yea I would man, After driving / riding in a '04 lighting for the entire last fall season, I can not say enough about them!

5.0calypso93lx
05-08-2007, 09:00 AM
Do you have a good realationship with your bank? You might be able to do a collateral title swap without getting a new loan. It never hurts to just call and ask what your options are.

Not really. I'm going to ask about the collateral title swap, because I don't have much credit at all yet, and that's what's killing me. I'm crossin' my fingers though, thanks for the help guys!

mustangboy
05-08-2007, 10:09 AM
I know everyone on here is crazy about Lightnings but as far as a year round daily driver goes the Sentra's are pretty damn fun cars. Just for shits and giggles I took one for a test drive and it surprised the hell out of me. It will get a ton better gas mileage and is alot nicer in the winter to drive. However a Lightning can pull a trailer and haul shit. Also there is no better feeling than when that boost kicks in. I think it is a tougher call than most of you guys make it out to be.