PDA

View Full Version : E85 in the stang?

quik lx
05-09-2007, 09:47 PM
I keep hearing more about this stuff, Last months 5.0 magazine had 2 articles on it. One showed a new carb for E85 and talked about it's 105 octane raring as well as the fuel needing more "flow"?. And in the King of Street article Dan Schoneck has a 306 with trickflow heads and a procharger running on this stuff. They mentioned the 105 octane rating agan! If I dump 91 octane in the coupe and add a octane booster I'm not coming close to that, and it's cheaper! I heard it eats rubber parts, but other than all the o rings there isnt any rubber in the system..so why cant we run this in our cars? Anyone know anything else about it?

Evil_Capri
05-09-2007, 09:52 PM
I don't know much about it, but I did stumble on this site (and related link).

http://www.e85mustangs.com/index.html

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=826071

dedpedal
05-09-2007, 09:59 PM
It takes more fuel to produce the same power as gasoline as we know it. Mileage (like we really care) also goes down, so it means more trips to the pump.

Paul408Notch
05-09-2007, 10:26 PM
Yeah, other than needing E85 compatible fuel components, you just need injectors that'll handle about 30% more flow for the same hp level.

ricmcusa
05-10-2007, 12:43 AM
I heard ethanol doesn't eat rubber like alcohol. I am thinking about converting as well. All I need is metering blocks from quick fuel?(Carburetor) But I wonder about the rest of the fuel system? Wonder how it is with nitrous to? The only way I would do it is if I built an engine that had more compression.

Drivermod
05-10-2007, 06:36 AM
Craig (they guy that bought my procharged coupe in middletown) is running on E85 and that thing is flying. I'm not sure if he posts on here or not but he could probably answer any questions.

Joe, for you I would think that much octane would hurt more than help.

89notch
05-10-2007, 07:41 AM
I keep hearing more about this stuff, Last months 5.0 magazine had 2 articles on it. One showed a new carb for E85 and talked about it's 105 octane raring as well as the fuel needing more "flow"?. And in the King of Street article Dan Schoneck has a 306 with trickflow heads and a procharger running on this stuff. They mentioned the 105 octane rating agan! If I dump 91 octane in the coupe and add a octane booster I'm not coming close to that, and it's cheaper! I heard it eats rubber parts, but other than all the o rings there isnt any rubber in the system..so why cant we run this in our cars? Anyone know anything else about it?
Joe dont waste your money on the octane booster. For every bottle of octane booster you put in 18 gallons of gas it raises it very little like a tenth. It will take 91 octane to 91.1 octane you are better off to find a sunoco station local and fill it up with 94

Jeff88coupe
05-10-2007, 09:13 AM
I'm seriously considering running E85 in my coupe once I get it back up and running. My 347 is 10.8:1 compression....I use to run it on the street and race it n/a on just pump 93...but I would run a 50/50 mix of pump 93/race gas when I ran nitrous. The biggest issue with running E85 in a late model mustang is fuel volume flow....it takes 40% more E85 at WOT vs. gas to get the same air fuel ratio. So you need to have plenty of fuel pump (intank 255 would work fine for a milder motor)..and injectors (probably at least 30's on a N/A 302). I'm going to be running a Aeromotive A1000 pump with 42lb injectors on my 347...I've been told the injectors may be a bit small..but will not know till I get it on a dyno with a wideband. Also you can use it with a nitrous kit...but if it's a wet kit you just have to adjust your fuel jet size up (need 40% more area..not diameter).

Black Hole
05-10-2007, 09:25 AM
http://www.stangbangerz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28060&highlight=Ethanol

http://www.stangbangerz.com/forums/search.php?searchid=197201

cstreu1026
05-10-2007, 09:40 AM
What is E85 going for right now? I know last year whole sale ethanol prices were right around $3 per gallon because production couldn't keep up with demand. Remember that that 30-40% increase in required fuel flow means that you will also see a similar drop in fuel economy...so it may make sense for a race car but not so sure on most street cars.

CAPRISTANG
05-10-2007, 11:41 AM
Joe just call me and i'll get you some unleaded-gt 104 octane cost around $6.00 and will not hurt anything. E-85 is not the answer. The petrolium company's are even wondering about. It will do wonder's on rubber,and start eatin away on the metal's it will be in contact with. The new car's are able to use the allternitive fuel because there equipt to. You come to me i'll give you special juice. See ya Saturday

bobtsgt
05-10-2007, 11:45 AM
You come to me i'll give you special juice. See ya Saturday

how can you say no to that statement :lol: meet him in the back of the parking lot. look for a white panel van :D

Sparky
05-30-2007, 11:43 PM
Didn't Ford build a flex fuel Mustang that had like over 500 horses? It was a aqua/blue and white sn95 car called the "Super Stallion" or something. I specifically remembering it had some kind of dual tank setup to where it would switch from gas to alchohol with the flip of a switch....literally. Or do I just have some really weird dreams at night?

Evil_Capri
05-31-2007, 06:57 AM
Didn't Ford build a flex fuel Mustang that had like over 500 horses? It was a aqua/blue and white sn95 car called the "Super Stallion" or something. I specifically remembering it had some kind of dual tank setup to where it would switch from gas to alchohol with the flip of a switch....literally. Or do I just have some really weird dreams at night?

Sure did, and had a supercharger you could turn on/off a la Mad Max.:cool2:

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/concept/superstallion/

Sparky
05-31-2007, 07:42 AM
Yep! That was it!

noslo50stang
05-31-2007, 08:20 AM
E85 is an answer for more power. and it surprises me that Capristang would say not to got that route with him once being in the fuel buss.

E85 has a great advantage for performace esp with turbo, and blower cars.. Like Kevin Im too most likely going to set up the new motor to run E85, it burns much cooler than gas, and the octane rating is fairly high as well.. both good advantages over gas in a performce motor..