Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
OH/KY/IN Law on driving without doors or mirrors [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : OH/KY/IN Law on driving without doors or mirrors

Black Hole
05-11-2007, 02:27 PM
I picked up a '97 Jeep TJ for my daily driver. With the beautiful weather we've had recently, I've had all of the side windows out and the top down.

I've had the doors off a couple of times, but as some of you know the mirrors are bolted to the doors so you loose the mirrors on both sides. I picked up a cheap mirror that I can stick to the corner of the windshield with a suction cup for the mean time. Some people buy bicycle mirrors or motorcycle mirrors and bolt them through the hinges for the doors.

I know some older cars didn't come with mirrors on the passenger side, but I think that a mirror on the driver side is required.

So here is my question......are there any Ohio, Kentucky, or Indiana laws that prohibit driving with the doors off and if not, are there any laws requiring outside mirrors?

Gene
05-11-2007, 02:36 PM
No tech on it, but I've seen plenty of Wranglers running around with no doors, so I doubt you'll get in trouble. It's probably not a bad idea to bolt on an auxiliary mirror, though.

I probably have an old Sigma Alpha Mu hat laying around the house somewhere that you can borrow for when you're driving it. You did get a new Abercrombie credit card so you can stay fully stocked with proper driving clothes, right? :cool2:

PonymanfiveO
05-11-2007, 02:48 PM
I probably have an old Sigma Alpha Mu hat laying around the house somewhere that you can borrow for when you're driving it. You did get a new Abercrombie credit card so you can stay fully stocked with proper driving clothes, right? :cool2:

:rolleyes: :HYF: :flipoff: :bigthumb

Black Hole
05-11-2007, 02:55 PM
Okay Audi-boy...atleast I still have my Cobra. :flipoff:

My buddy had a YJ a few years ago and I loved rolling around in that....then he got sensible and traded it for a Cherokee Sport and now a Hyundai Elantra. (His wife went from a late 90's Eclipse & YJ Jeep, to a Mountaineer, and now she's driving a Hyundai Tucsan.:rolleyes: ) We used to have the doors off his Jeep all the time, but it was a YJ and he had the mirrors mounted on the windshield.

I wanted something "FUN" to drive every day, and I've found it (temporarily.....I expect that within a year I'll upgrade to something a lil newer with the 6 cyl and hopefully the optional axles. ie Rubicon that'll receive a larger lift and bigger tires :rockon: ).
There's nothing like rolling around with the top down, doors off, music blasting. I don't even care that a 10 speed mountain bike would kill this thing in the 1/4 mile.....it's FUN.....I just don't feel like getting pulled over for no mirrors.

I now have a slammed, 490 rwhp Cobra.....a lifted, slow as hell Jeep.....and the sensible family vehicle that the wife drives. Once I find a FOX body in good shape to play around with, I'll be set until I get the urge to buy a bike. :lol:

fst 5pto
05-11-2007, 02:58 PM
You'll be fine... my buddy did that with one of his trucks, we rolled next to a cop and he asked him if it was legal and the cop said yea... he never got stopped for it.

Gene
05-11-2007, 03:03 PM
Lol...hit a sore spot, didn't I. :)

I just talked to a buddy of mine who is really into Jeeps (old CJ restoration project, new 4-door Wrangler). He said that as long as the doors are designed to come off (like on a Jeep), then it's legal to drive is with the doors off in any state. He wasn't sure about the mirrors though.

You don't have to justify your purchase. I like Jeeps, but much like a Corvette, I couldn't own one because of the image that goes with ownership. They are fun to drive, though. :D

REDHOTGTGIRL
05-11-2007, 03:08 PM
I wanted something "FUN" to drive every day...
There's nothing like rolling around with the top down, doors off, music blasting.

Hell yeah! Jeeps are an absolute blast, I miss AJ's. I love my truck and it's a great commuter (gas mileage aside), but I really miss having something fun to drive...hopefully here soon I'll have that resolved! ;) As for the legality thing, I don't have a clue, but have driving!!!

Black Hole
05-11-2007, 03:20 PM
Lol...hit a sore spot, didn't I. :)
Nah...not at all.

You don't have to justify your purchase. I like Jeeps, but much like a Corvette, I couldn't own one because of the image that goes with ownership. They are fun to drive, though. :D
I sorta see what you're saying, but I don't think Jeep owners are anywhere as bad as Corvette peeps.....either way, fugg it. The thing is fun as hell.:bigthumb

Most people stereotype us Mustang guys too, so I'll just add another stereotype to my name....that list is gettin pretty long. :flipoff:

I didn't think the doors would be a problem.....it's the mirrors that worry me.:confused: I mean, I can spend $20-30 on a mirror or two, but why bother if it doesn't matter? Like I said, I spent $3 on a 3" suction cup mirror that allows me to see 90&#37; of what the usual exterior mirror does on the drivers side.

dedpedal
05-12-2007, 07:27 AM
The cheap mirrors might prevent you from side swiping some soccer mom that rolls up in the next lane.

mach_u
05-12-2007, 08:59 AM
Man I really do miss my Jeep! Those things are so much fun - regardless of the "image." :lol: Thankfully I see another opened-aired car in the near future. :)

02mingryGT
05-12-2007, 09:41 AM
I believe it's just the drivers side mirror you need.

IWRBB
05-12-2007, 10:10 AM
Yea, I still see new cars without passenger side mirrors. Usually the cheapest POS sold.

93hulk
05-12-2007, 10:26 AM
I have an 05 Wrangler and drive mine with the doors all the time. I had a local officer here in town tell me you must have a drivers side mirror or you could get a ticket. I buy alot of my jeep stuff from this web site quadratec.com. They sell mirror relocation brackets for all Jeeps that bolts the mirror to the windsheild.

Black Hole
05-12-2007, 03:12 PM
I have an 05 Wrangler and drive mine with the doors all the time. I had a local officer here in town tell me you must have a drivers side mirror or you could get a ticket. I buy alot of my jeep stuff from this web site quadratec.com. They sell mirror relocation brackets for all Jeeps that bolts the mirror to the windsheild.
Thanks Mark....I've been spending some time on jeepforums.com and I've seen their site recommended a bunch.

I think I'm gonna pick up something that will bolt up to the empty door hinge.....

venomous_svt
05-12-2007, 05:54 PM

:popcorn: :D :bigthumb that's funny right there, I dont care who you are.

FireStang02
05-13-2007, 12:30 PM
My buddy sitting here with me, (a ky police officer) says that you only need a rear view mirror. He says no doors is ok as long as you have a mirror mounted on the windshield. Don't forget the seat belts too.

BadBirdLT1
05-13-2007, 10:50 PM
And yeah I live in IN and have had my doors off all the time never even stole a look from a cop.

ponyboystroker
05-14-2007, 01:49 AM
My buddy sitting here with me, (a ky police officer) says that you only need a rear view mirror. He says no doors is ok as long as you have a mirror mounted on the windshield. Don't forget the seat belts too.

yup, I was going to say that if I remember correctly from driver's education the only mirror required by law is the rear view mirror in the passenger's compartment.

Don't worry about the pass. side mirror. I have a CJ-7 and it came with both mirrors. The CJ mirrors mount to the windshield hinges, which makes the pass side useless anyway, hell I took my pass. side off and I don't miss it any.

Do you have any pics posted of your new Jeep?

Black Hole
05-15-2007, 03:03 PM
Pics from my pos work camera phone (1.3 MP)

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/4818/image00045nd8.th.jpg (http://img264.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image00045nd8.jpg)

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/8162/image00046nj3.th.jpg (http://img264.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image00046nj3.jpg)

Jeep is filthy.

1997 TJ SE
4 cyl
5 spd
31"x10.5" tires on 15" American Alloy wheels
2" lift
6.5" Delta Offroad Lights
Trimmed stock front bumper with tow hooks
Pioneer MP3/CD-RW headunit
Polk 6.5" two way's in the sound bar
Polk 5.25" two way's in the dash
Bestop Instatrunk (on the way)
MTX Thunder 282 Amp (waiting for sub and trunk)
JL Audio 10" sub (on the way...custom down-firing box will be built once everything is here)
Carpet removed (stuff was nasty as hell....thinking about just leaving it out)

This week I'm planning on an oil change, new plugs, new wires, new cap, and new rotor.

Next week my buddy (mechanic) will be replacing the exhaust manifold with an uncracked version :rolleyes: and addressing my converter that's rattling like rocks in a tin can.

I have a new(er) Bestop with a tinted rear window that I can install since my current top is getting old.

I need some seatcovers for my stockers as they're tearing at the seams.

The wife would like a "step" to help her get up into the Jeep....I was thinking about adding a handle to help her out too.

I'm trying to only add mods that could be removed and re-installed on a newer version....I love this thing, but I want a newer TJ already.....definitely with the 6 cylinder though, and hopefully with the optional axles (Rubicon). ;)

SS ETR
05-15-2007, 03:48 PM
LET ME KNOW WHEN YOUR SELLING FOR A GOOD PRICE TO UPGRADE... I AM LOOKING FOR A BEATER....

Black Hole
05-15-2007, 04:01 PM
LET ME KNOW WHEN YOUR SELLING FOR A GOOD PRICE TO UPGRADE... I AM LOOKING FOR A BEATER....
It's gonna be a while...I just got it a week ago.;)

It's currently MY beater....

ponyboystroker
05-15-2007, 04:10 PM
Pics from my pos work camera phone (1.3 MP)

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/4818/image00045nd8.th.jpg (http://img264.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image00045nd8.jpg)

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/8162/image00046nj3.th.jpg (http://img264.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image00046nj3.jpg)

Jeep is filthy.

The pictures don't look too bad. Aren't Jeeps supposed to be filthy? LOL! :lol:

Do you like the tires that are on it? Do they make much noise on the highway?

You may want to look into some Bestop seat covers. I have them and they are pretty nice for the price, they fit well, and you can get them in the same color as your top.

What about some nerf bars? You can bolt them on so you can remove them and put them on your next Jeep. Plus they will make your Jeep look tougher and give you some side protection.

Is the 2" lift a suspension or body lift.

Black Hole
05-15-2007, 04:50 PM
The pictures don't look too bad. Aren't Jeeps supposed to be filthy? LOL! :lol:

Do you like the tires that are on it? Do they make much noise on the highway?

You may want to look into some Bestop seat covers. I have them and they are pretty nice for the price, they fit well, and you can get them in the same color as your top.

What about some nerf bars? You can bolt them on so you can remove them and put them on your next Jeep. Plus they will make your Jeep look tougher and give you some side protection.

Is the 2" lift a suspension or body lift.
It is dirty....it's just that it was sooooo sunny today when I took the pic (and I didn't setup the camera for outside/sunny weather) that it looks clean. I haven't had an opportunity to get her "muddy" if that's what you're lookin for. ;)

The tires are okay.....they're a no-name brand that I've never heard of. (Spare is actually a different, smaller tire than the other 4) They're rather old (starting to dry rott between the tread and I have small cracks on the sidewalls that I noticed last night.) and they're about half-life or so. (The Jeep only saw maybe 1000 miles in the last 16 months.) They make some noise, but honestly the wind noise and the radio usually washout the tire noise. I don't mind the tire noise though....it's sorta like the exhaust on my Cobra. If I decide to keep this Jeep for a while, I may upgrade the gears from the stock 4.10's to 4.88's and upgrade to 33" BFG's. :bigthumb

I'm looking at the Bestop covers....they seem to be the best buy of a good set of covers....it's crazy what some of these COVERS cost!!! :confused:

I've looked at Nerf bars/Rock sliders. When I was looking at my TJ, the other Jeep was a 95 YJ that had em. (It was a 2.5L, 5 spd on 33" BFG AT's) I could care less, but she wants a step to help her get in the thing.....I'll probably add one of those soft "oh shit" handles to help her get in too..LOL :lol:

The lift is a spacer lift. The guy claimed it was a 3" lift, but it looks smaller than 3"....could be 2.5" I guess. I'll probably add a 1-2" body lift if I go with the 33's. I won't do much more than just fix the exhaust and give it a tune up......unless I find some deals on a couple of axles and a V-8 and tranny that'll work. (I know the Chevy 350 is a popular swap, but I've heard of 5.0 swaps too.)

What kinda Jeep do you have?

85_SS_302_Coupe
05-15-2007, 04:59 PM
I just saw a 4 Runner yesterday with no doors....and that's a truck that never had a removable door option like the Wranglers have.

ponyboystroker
05-15-2007, 05:24 PM
My Jeep started out as an '81 CJ-7. It has a rebuilt '74 AMC 304 w/ a few Edelbrock parts, an '80 frame, '82 wide-trac axles (3.55 w/posi), '84 T-4 trans, '81 Dana 300 Xfer case, and a '91 YJ tub.

Mine had a straight six in it until it got the new frame, then my friend and I put in the 304. In hind-sight I wish I would have done an EFI 5.0 or possibly a small block Chebby. I still may do one of them in the future, although an aluminum headed 347 crossed my mind today. :evilgrin:

If you are looking into upgrading your tires and getting something more aggressive I highly recommend The Mickey Thompson Baja Claw Radials. They are really aggressive off-road and the road noise isn't too bad for an off-road tire. Plus they look pretty damn mean. Mine have over 10K miles on them and they still have plenty of tread. The BF Goodrich Mud Terrain is an old "technology" tire. I had a set of the BFG MT before the Mickey's. The BFG's are just as loud, if not louder and no where near as aggressive off-road.

Hopefully I get a new and better job soon so that I can start putting money into my Jeep again. :bigthumb

ponyboystroker
05-15-2007, 05:28 PM
I have attached some pics of my Jeep after a fun filled day in the woods with a bad ending; it started knocking, but that's a whole other story.

Black Hole
05-15-2007, 06:18 PM
Looks good guy!

I'd like to check it out sometime.

ponyboystroker
05-15-2007, 06:54 PM
Looks good guy!

I'd like to check it out sometime.

alright, sounds good.