PDA

View Full Version : Cant get the rear wheels off my van!!!

50dan
05-11-2007, 04:28 PM
I have a '99 E250 conversion van and it has the American Racing Nitro wheels from the factory. I took it to Tire Discounter to get them balanced and rotated and the rear wheels are corroded the the f*cking brake drum so bad they won't come off :mad: . Any suggestion on getting these off? Anyone have this problem before and what did you do/use? Tried the small sledge hammer without breaking something and they won't budge!!!! :confused:

Black Horse
05-11-2007, 04:53 PM
Loosen the lugs slightly (1/2 turn) start it up, drive forward (or backwards) a couple of feet, slam on the brakes! Spray a little rust buster against the drum will help too.

Timido
05-11-2007, 05:14 PM
Big dead blow hammer does wonders also.

orangedemon331
05-11-2007, 07:39 PM
Big dead blow hammer does wonders also.

Yes, The big hammer is your friend!!!:D

Jeff88coupe
05-12-2007, 10:42 AM
Once you get them off...coat the studs and brake drum surface that contacts the rim with anti-sieze.

Dirtyd0g
05-12-2007, 11:36 AM
I always take all but one lugnut off and loosen that one. Then smack the tire with the biggest BFH (or sledgehammer if really stubborn) I can find.
Alan

mustangboy
05-12-2007, 12:10 PM
When I worked at Tire Discounters we would crawl under the rear(obviously after it is jacked up) and smack the back of the tire with a big sledge. If that did not do the trick we would do what Dave suggested and loosen the lug nuts and drive a few feet and hit the brakes. Like Jeff said use a liberal amount of anti sieze so it does not happen again but before you do sand the old corrosion off the wheel and the brake drum/rotor. If there is enough corrosion it could cause the wheels to not seat correctly which could cause them to eventually come loose.

ADaughen
05-15-2007, 12:54 PM
Block of wood and a BFH to the back of the wheel.

Did a brake job on a friend's mom's car... she hadn't rotated her front wheels in 6 years (they were bald). The front left it took a big heavy pry bar, my "little" hammer in my go-bag wasn't big enough. Beat the crap out of it from the inside.

My wheels come off every 5k miles for rotations and can still stick from time to time.