PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice on How To Wire in a New Head Unit....

Katmandu
05-15-2007, 03:01 AM
Car in question is a 1991 GT with Premium Sound system.

The head unit crapped out and I need to swap it out. I have another aftermarket head unit that I wish to install, but I'm clueless on how to wire it in.

Here's a few pics I took of my setup and the head unit that I want to install.

http://www.katmanduonline.net/pics/Stereo_Install/index.html

BTW, I tried some of the pre-fabbed wiring harnesses from a local parts store (looked up in the Chart) and the wiring was NOT right. I figure since this is the Premium system (for 91) with the EQ/AMP, the wiring HAS to be different some how.

How do I go about figuring this wiring stuff out ????

I'd appreciate any advice!

Sharad
05-15-2007, 06:09 PM
It's super easy to run wires into the doors of a fox body. I'd tap the factory harness for power and run new speaker wires. (that's what I do in all of my Mustangs) It's simple, easy, and better for the system. (upgrading the puny factory wiring)

If you have more specific questions, let me know!

Katmandu
05-16-2007, 04:48 AM
It's super easy to run wires into the doors of a fox body. I'd tap the factory harness for power and run new speaker wires. (that's what I do in all of my Mustangs) It's simple, easy, and better for the system. (upgrading the puny factory wiring)

If you have more specific questions, let me know!

Thanks man. :cool2:

How do I wire in the factory eq/amp with the new head unit ? :confused:

Black Hole
05-16-2007, 08:35 AM
Thanks man. :cool2:

How do I wire in the factory eq/amp with the new head unit ? :confused:
I wouldn't.....

Newer headunits are LIGHT YEARS ahead of that EQ.....most have built in EQ's and those that don't are still better. JMO.

Sharad
05-16-2007, 07:56 PM
yep. What he said. Bypass as much of the factory stuff as possible!

Katmandu
05-18-2007, 09:55 AM
I wouldn't.....

Newer headunits are LIGHT YEARS ahead of that EQ.....most have built in EQ's and those that don't are still better. JMO.

I think I'll go ahead and just do that. Only problem is the EQ/AMP bracket is RIVETED to the radio. I don't want a big hole beneath my new radio, and I think I'll keep the EQ/AMP there to plug up the hole.

Guess I'll just drill out the rivets. :confused:

Any other ideas on how to do this better ??? :confused:

Sharad
05-18-2007, 10:13 PM
just buy a mounting kit! Probably ten to fifteen bucks at your local circuit city or best buy?

Katmandu
05-19-2007, 04:30 AM
just buy a mounting kit! Probably ten to fifteen bucks at your local circuit city or best buy?
I have one in my garage..... SOMEWHERE !!! :lol:

Guess I'll need to buy another one! :HYF: :cool2: