PDA

View Full Version : Major cooling problems (radiator hose keeps coming off)

SWEET GT
05-15-2007, 09:23 PM
Back in December, I put on a Canton aluminum expansion tank, and a chrome/stainless corrugated hose. This hose connects to the thermo housing via 2 rubber sleeves with 2 hose clamps. One sleeve slides over the thermostat housing, the other is inside the hose and slides over the sleeved thermostat housing and tightens down with 2 hose clamps.

Back in mid April, I took it out for the first time since it was in Calvacade. Im about at my destination and the hose pops off at the thermostat housing. I pull over, see the issue, get some premix at a gas station and tighten down the clamps...get it home, and it pops pulling in my driveway again. I get it cleaned up and really tighten everything down, add coolant..and the next day I take it all the way from Finneytown to Eastgate to Quaker steak for their sunday cruise ins. I noticed i was running hotter than 210 almost to 220 at times..which to me seemed a bit high, as the car never gets that hot.

Fast forward to tonight. I open the expansion tank and add more coolant, since it seemed to be a bit low. I take it up to about 1.5 inches from the top of the expansion tank (this tank has no high/low marks). I let it idle in the drive..gets to 210..fan kicks on...stays there. So I decide to drive a bit to see if the temp stays down...not even a block from my house...the hose pops again...

I have no clue..if its this new hose, or if I have too much coolant in the system.. This is really pissing me off...the engine bay in this car is VERY clean..and this is the 3rd damn time in 1 month that it has had coolant sprayed all over it...

Can you guys offer some advice? I am afraid to even drive it..

Here is a pic of the hose and tank for reference.

http://photos.sweetgt.com/Mustang/Engine%20Dress%20Up/01230001_std.jpg

Mr.Moontang
05-15-2007, 09:25 PM
I dont know what to tell you about the problem but, Let me know if you get rid of the tank I want one.

01cobra
05-15-2007, 09:54 PM
Same here I want the PS reservoir to. Did you get both of those from canton? Sorry I dont have any suggestions on the coolant problem. You could get a pressure tester and pressurize the system to see what it takes to blow the hose off. Then you could install the stock hose and repeat the test. Maybe you will see something when doing this. Does not explain why it is running hot though,

SWEET GT
05-15-2007, 09:57 PM
well i figure if i didnt have enough coolant in the system that it would run hot..so I added more..everything was fine before I added the tank and new hose.

The hose is a pep boys hose...

I also have the PS resevoir, its nice.

mustangboy
05-15-2007, 11:45 PM
I think I would start by putting a stock hose on it and see what it does. If it still does it I would put the stock tank back on and check again.

SWEET GT
05-16-2007, 06:24 AM
the weird thing is, is right before i went to bed last night..I went down and tested how tight the hose was with my hand...i tugged and tugged and tugged..actually getting the body of the car to move and the hose wouldnt come off...I guess something happens when the car gets hot..I think the fact that there are 2 rubber sleeves is the issue...they may lose their grip and slide off eachother when the engine is hot.

Black Hole
05-16-2007, 08:40 AM
I think I would start by putting a stock hose on it and see what it does. If it still does it I would put the stock tank back on and check again.
That's what I would do...:bigthumb

bobtsgt
05-16-2007, 09:23 AM
sounds like the rubber couplers are getting thermo expansion and popping off on you. Is there any sort of lip to where the hose goes on to? You could roll a lip or tack a couple of beads around the end and use a T bolt clamp to keep it on. To me getting stuck somewhere out it bufu with a bad hose is a bad thing. Keep a stock one in your trunk if you keep the fancy one just incase. also everytime your hose comes off you are allowing air in the system which needs to be bled out

SWEET GT
05-16-2007, 10:51 AM
there is a lip/bead on the housing..but i think that is what the hose butts up to..not slide over...maybe it does need to slide over that

bobtsgt
05-16-2007, 11:11 AM
I would still find a T bolt clamp and try that first. You can put more pressure with a T bolt then a worm gear