PDA

View Full Version : single or twin

bobtsgt
05-17-2007, 11:53 AM
I'm thinking of doing a turbo kit this winter along with a forged bottom end but can't decide on doing a single or twins. I plan on fabricating everything from scratch cause hell thats half the fun. I've already got all the fuel system stuff worked out. So what should I do??? Please vote then explain your vote and mabey list some possible turbos to look into. I want a oil cooled set up. Don't feel like running water lines. Also I have been researching over on turbomustangs and they have some helpful stuff over there. So let me hear it guys.

theyallslow
05-17-2007, 12:27 PM
you still got nothing. twin

Bluecrew07
05-17-2007, 01:25 PM
Twin duh

mustangrfast88
05-17-2007, 01:45 PM
put twins on it if i ever built a turbo car it would be twins

IEATLT1
05-17-2007, 01:46 PM
2 smaller turbos are cheaper than one great big one...

5.0calypso93lx
05-17-2007, 01:52 PM
2 smaller turbos are cheaper than one great big one...

I voted for single. When you have twins, that also means you have two WG's and two BOV's, and the extra required plumbing. That adds up, and I think in the long wrong, its probaby cheaper.

For what you are doing bob, by fabbing this up yourself, I would have to say single.

mustangboy
05-17-2007, 02:39 PM
I agree with the single idea. If you are doing this yourself and it is your first attempt I would stay with the single. I think it will much cheaper and simpler for a first time build.

89notch
05-17-2007, 02:41 PM
Single Masterpower T70 best deal out there.

bobtsgt
05-17-2007, 02:53 PM
there are a bunch of T70s out there for sale and being used. I'm still trying to figure out the maps and which A/Rs are best for my combo

OrangeStang04
05-17-2007, 04:09 PM
Isn't it a lot harder to tune twin turbo's than it is to tune a single??

That and James is right...there is a ton more fabrication with a twin set-up, but if you think you can swing it... do it!!!

I voted for single....

bobtsgt
05-17-2007, 04:12 PM
when it comes time I'm going to see if I can borrow somebodies for a day and look at all the different placements. There isn't that much of a difference in tuning one or two. I'm going to talk to some turbo guys while were down in Florida.

OrangeStang04
05-17-2007, 04:19 PM
when it comes time I'm going to see if I can borrow somebodies for a day and look at all the different placements. There isn't that much of a difference in tuning one or two. I'm going to talk to some turbo guys while were down in Florida.

There is a guy on the Louisvillemustangs Forum, his screen name is Newt-Rod he custom makes turbo kits and has his own business called Quicktime Turbo Systems (website: www.quicktimeturbosystems.com )... I would track him down if ya needed some info....

bobtsgt
05-17-2007, 04:21 PM
thanks. he has a crazy looking set up but I bet its fun to drive

OrangeStang04
05-17-2007, 04:31 PM
Yep Yep... I am waiting for him to start fabrication on his 99-04 modular set-ups

Da Natti
05-17-2007, 05:24 PM
i voted single but if you get a deal on twins! then i would go with that! the only reason i said single is price it is alot cheaper!

glassman
05-17-2007, 05:49 PM
There is a guy on the Louisvillemustangs Forum, his screen name is Newt-Rod he custom makes turbo kits and has his own business called Quicktime Turbo Systems (website: www.quicktimeturbosystems.com )... I would track him down if ya needed some info....

I've talked to him his name is Bernard he seems pretty straight up with ya and his price is not bad. They build the hole kit ( not fliped shortys) and powder coat to your specs if ya want. He will take credit cards if need be and was 7 or 8 kits out. He will do custom work and install for $350.00.This is not his full time job he works for Jim Beam. I left him a message and he called me back about 3hrs later when he left work. I have not seen any negative post about his kits he is also on the corral.

orangedemon331
05-17-2007, 06:30 PM
I say single, mostly because it is alot easier to package one!!:bigthumb

01cobra
05-18-2007, 07:14 AM
I said single as well for all the reasons previously stated. Another reason is in theory a single will always out perform a set of twins assuming you are comparing apples to apples. That can be a tough comparison since there seems to be a never ending list of turbos to choose from. Think of a big single that moves 100# a min. and twins that move 50# each. There will be more mass to get moving with the twins. And I would suggest getting a water cooled unit as well. Whats a couple water lines if you are going to fabricate everything else. IMO twin setups are good when you dont have room for a big single but both are pretty sweet. Ive done several turbo setups now but only 2 on a late model mustang one a 2v and now my own 4v. Im trying to get my car domain page setup now. I got pics of my hot side there so i will attempt to link it for you. Once there click on my one and only friends link and that is the 2v single setup we did. http://www.cardomain.com/id/matts01cobra

01cobra
05-18-2007, 07:16 AM
Well for some reason you cant see all of my pics there. Im gonna try to fix that now.

dedpedal
05-18-2007, 07:34 AM
Id go with a decent sized single Bob. Half the parts and half the headaches.

01cobra
05-18-2007, 07:42 AM
Ok got em on there. I will be spending some more time here soon to get the site more organized but at least you can view the pics now. My friend with the 2v has his site much better organized. We also took lots more pics especially of the header build on his.

bobtsgt
05-18-2007, 08:18 AM
I'm going to try to utilize the shorties so I can use the old H pipes flanges. Plus if I ever sell it I can just flip them back around and have a good NA set up again. After reading more and more over the past 2 days I think single is the best way to go right now. But the real question is what are some good singles for 400-500HP w/ good spool?

Da Natti
05-18-2007, 08:31 AM
01cobra your kit looks awesome i like how you split your dump witch will help you clearance issues early!

01cobra
05-18-2007, 10:53 AM
01cobra your kit looks awesome i like how you split your dump witch will help you clearance issues early! Yeah its a 4" into 2 2.5" We thought about returning the exhaust behind the coil springs before but thought it was to much trouble. Then I saw a guy over on the Mod Depot that did it and it looked good plus you get to use the stock K member. That should cut the cost way down plus you dont get the noise of coil overs. The 2v setup we did uses an aftermarket K member and coil overs with a single 3.0" down pipe and return.

white01
05-19-2007, 07:54 AM
I vote single also. I am currently installing a PT76GTS on my 01 Lightning. I'm using the factory water to air innercooler system. Good luck with your choice.

Rich

strokercobra
05-27-2007, 01:36 PM
Don't get the cart in front of the horse, bro. It's great that your researching your turbo options but I want to vote for worrying about getting your bottom end all forged and your compression perfect for the turbo first. If you want 500 rwhp you're gonna have to spool up bigtime (lbs).

'92Stang
05-27-2007, 05:35 PM
:fna: :agree: :bounce: , Can't wait to see it Bob:bigthumb

bobtsgt
05-27-2007, 05:41 PM
I could always play the stock shortblock game :D I plan on doing a lot of research before I start any planning on what to buy.

Da Natti
05-27-2007, 09:33 PM
have you went to boostang.com he did a single on a 2000 gt watch videos on 1320video.com his turbo sounds insane!!!

firestang70
05-29-2007, 10:54 PM
Bob are your new cams going to be turbo friendly? If so I'd say a single, easier cheaper and will be plenty fast enough.

bobtsgt
05-30-2007, 11:50 AM
I'm planning the build right now for a single unit and yes the cams should love the boost. If they don't then I'll just swap them with something else. I'm going to build the kit on the motor I have now while building the new shortblock.

dedpedal
06-01-2007, 07:31 AM
Heres a hint Bob, build the kit on the car and take into account all the accessories that you plan on keeping. Remember that theres going to be ALOT more heat under the hood so route the hot side piping accordingly. Just because it fits doesnt mean that its in the best place.

bobtsgt
06-02-2007, 09:25 PM
yeah I plan on wrapping all the hot side pipes and mabey get them coated to money allowing. I already took the AC stuff out so there is more flow going to the radiator now. Plus my hood is like yours where it lets the air in and flow it towards the back. I'm going to visit a couple of turbo shops down here and see what they have done to some of the local mustangs.

Supercharged331
06-05-2007, 03:54 PM
I've talked to him his name is Bernard he seems pretty straight up with ya and his price is not bad. They build the hole kit ( not fliped shortys) and powder coat to your specs if ya want. He will take credit cards if need be and was 7 or 8 kits out. He will do custom work and install for $350.00.This is not his full time job he works for Jim Beam. I left him a message and he called me back about 3hrs later when he left work. I have not seen any negative post about his kits he is also on the corral.

Yeah Bernard is a pretty good guy, hell i have know him for about 15 years and he's always been a pretty straight. If i was going to build a turbo car he would be the first person i would contact.