PDA

View Full Version : They F you with the cell phones

Paul408Notch
05-18-2007, 10:07 PM
I've had a Sprint Treo 650 for almost 2 years now. It's worked fine for me up until about the last month, when it started going into roaming quite a bit, and the internal earpiece speaker has gotten really crackly. I have no clue why it's happening, but it's kind of annoying.

So tonight I call Sprint and ask them what I can do about upgrading to the new Treo that came out this week. When August rolls around, I'll be eligible for a $150 discount for the contract renewal thing, but apparently even though I'm having some problems with this phone, they want me to pay full retail for the new one. $600!

I understand companies are out there to make money, but I thought maybe they'd cut me a bit of a deal since I've been a Nextel/Sprint customer for so long. I doubt any other companies are much better, but I may switch to a different one just out of spite. Assholes.

Gene
05-19-2007, 01:29 AM
You would think that now that you can take your phone number with you, cell phone companies would be a little more concerned about keeping a customer happy.

YouGotJunk
05-19-2007, 01:41 AM
yeah I think pretty much all of them are the same..I had the same problem with nextel a while back..ended up just buying a used phone...but I couldn't go without my walkie talkie, lol

Paul408Notch
05-19-2007, 03:26 AM
I just don't get it. Instead of going ahead and making the customer happy 2 months early, but still locking me into another 2-year contract, they say tough luck and make me want to leave as soon as my contract is up.

Another situation where I wonder who's in charge, and what the hell they're thinking.

PonymanfiveO
05-19-2007, 05:14 AM
can you hear me now?

mustangboy
05-19-2007, 08:39 AM
I've heard other people bitch about them but the whole no contract thing is why I've stayed w/ Cincy Bell for so long. I also just have a cheap Nokia which I've never had any problems with. I just don't need all the fancy stuff of the newer phones.

DeckerEnt
05-19-2007, 08:44 AM
I used to be with T-Mobile. Then we got a good deal with cincy bell and wrapped up the business lines with cells too. The problem I have now is I have this t-mobile razr phone and it is locked to t-mobile. I was going to put my daughter's sim card in it and let her have it but noooo. Now it is going to be an expensive target.
Keith

IWRBB
05-19-2007, 08:50 AM
I went to Cincinnati Bell to get a new cell phone since my old Nokia wouldn't charge worth a crap. They looked up my account and said I had that phone for over 2 years so I could get the "new customer" price on a replacement. Picked a Samsung out that was $20 after a mail in rebate. Works and charges great over a year later.

They did jack the rate up $5 a month a few months ago though, that kind of pissed me off.

Black Hole
05-19-2007, 11:12 AM
Sprint did that same kind of shit to me about 2 years ago......I had been with them for over 7 years at that time.

I switched to Verizon and other than my last phone getting wet and not having the insurance to cover a new phone (I had to pay full price ~$250 for a new one), they've done me good.

I just picked up a new Samsung SCH-u740 for nothing after my rebate. :D

FireStang02
05-19-2007, 01:23 PM
Ok...I had a friend with a connection at Sprint that let me in on a little secret.....I will share it with you all. It has worked twice for me in the last year.

1.Figure out which new phone you want at Sprint.com or at the store. figure out what the new customer price is with the huge rebates.
2. Call Sprint, *2 from your phone.
3. Just say representative to the automated voice until it patches you through to a live person.
3. Ask to be transferred to the retention department.
5. When retention person comes on...explain that your phone has been malfunctioning. Tell them you went into a Sprint store and the person there was very rude and told that you had to buy a new phone at full price because you weren't at the 18 months to qualify for the new phone rebates. Explain you are a loyal customer and just want a new phone because yours is now useless. If you have to pay full price you might as well cancel the contract and get the same phone through a different company cheaper.
6. Be courteous and polite....keep saying things like you like Sprint and it sucks your phone is crap.
7. Tell them which phone you would like.
8. They will almost always sell it to you at the rebate price. They ship it overnight and don't charge you anything. They waive the activation fee. You can pay for the phone then or they can add it to your next bill.

Give this a shot. It has worked for me twice. The first time my phone was only 8 months old. The next time it was a year old. The retention employees get paid based off how many customers they can make happy and retain. The only downfall is they make you sign a new contract. If it doesn't work, tell them thanks for nothing...Hang up and try again.

EVLORNG
05-19-2007, 01:40 PM
Sprint service is the devil. I to have had my share of problems. Although it helps to have someone who speaks english at customer service. I can honestly say people at the Sprint store DO NOT give a damn.

Paul408Notch
05-19-2007, 03:38 PM
Ok...I had a friend with a connection at Sprint that let me in on a little secret.....I will share it with you all. It has worked twice for me in the last year.

1.Figure out which new phone you want at Sprint.com or at the store. figure out what the new customer price is with the huge rebates.
3. Just say representative to the automated voice until it patches you through to a live person.
5. When retention person comes on...explain that your phone has been malfunctioning. Tell them you went into a Sprint store and the person there was very rude and told that you had to buy a new phone at full price because you weren't at the 18 months to qualify for the new phone rebates. Explain you are a loyal customer and just want a new phone because yours is now useless. If you have to pay full price you might as well cancel the contract and get the same phone through a different company cheaper.
6. Be courteous and polite....keep saying things like you like Sprint and it sucks your phone is crap.
8. They will almost always sell it to you at the rebate price. They ship it overnight and don't charge you anything. They waive the activation fee. You can pay for the phone then or they can add it to your next bill.

Give this a shot. It has worked for me twice. The first time my phone was only 8 months old. The next time it was a year old. The retention employees get paid based off how many customers they can make happy and retain. The only downfall is they make you sign a new contract. If it doesn't work, tell them thanks for nothing...Hang up and try again.

I may have to give this one a try. Hopefully they don't try to hammer it to me too badly.

Thanks man!

venomous_svt
05-19-2007, 05:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjJfMUWaOC4

lol, check this shit out

Kelly Pelrine
05-19-2007, 07:11 PM
Dont feel bad, my 1 year date is tomorrow and my phone has been acting up lately. I called Verizon yesterday to see if they could bump it up 2 lousy days .......NOPE! I have to wait till tomorrow before i can get the discount! Such BS. But other than that they've been pretty good.

Matt how are you liking that u740? Thats the one i was thinking about getting.

Camaro86SHOCKER
05-20-2007, 03:38 AM

Yeah thats cute. I work at a sprint store. So when you lie and say someone was very rude to you and they ask you which store, do you just lie again so we get our asses handed to us by our district managers and lose out on good opportunities...THANKS :HYF:

furthermore...while i agree with you that the whole contract thing and the no discount on the phone thing is b.s your leaving a part out. If your eligible for $150 in august it means your eligible for $75 off right now. Cell phone companies lose their ass on the cell phones we sell. we lose money with every phone we sell. the rebate is meant to keep you in a new phone every couple of years if you want to sign your agreement. Why is it sprints fault your treo isnt working out for you, were just a service provider. Call treo and bitch at them i bet they replace the phone. i know blackberry will.

Your best bet is to call customer care (in the daytime) so you dont get those damn outsourced indians.
Customer care will bend over backwards for you. But please do not call them up and make up a lie that we were assholes to you like stated above, it doesnt help your cause and it only hurts us. We as a store cant do much for you were only a dealer, customer care will help you.
If you dont want to deal with this again. get the $7 protection. you will get a new phone if you ever have a problem with it.

Paul408Notch
05-20-2007, 04:42 AM
Yeah thats cute. I work at a sprint store. So when you lie and say someone was very rude to you and they ask you which store, do you just lie again so we get our asses handed to us by our district managers and lose out on good opportunities...THANKS :HYF:

furthermore...while i agree with you that the whole contract thing and the no discount on the phone thing is b.s your leaving a part out. If your eligible for $150 in august it means your eligible for $75 off right now. Cell phone companies lose their ass on the cell phones we sell. we lose money with every phone we sell. the rebate is meant to keep you in a new phone every couple of years if you want to sign your agreement. Why is it sprints fault your treo isnt working out for you, were just a service provider. Call treo and bitch at them i bet they replace the phone. i know blackberry will.

Your best bet is to call customer care (in the daytime) so you dont get those damn outsourced indians.
Customer care will bend over backwards for you. But please do not call them up and make up a lie that we were assholes to you like stated above, it doesnt help your cause and it only hurts us. We as a store cant do much for you were only a dealer, customer care will help you.
If you dont want to deal with this again. get the $7 protection. you will get a new phone if you ever have a problem with it.

Obviously you're a bit biased though since you work for them.

When I went to the stores on Tuesday to try to get things worked out, the first store's sign said they opened at 10, and by 10:15, the door was still locked. The guy I talked to at the second store only took his eyes away from text messaging once for the entire time I was in there. A bunch of pros they hired for those two stores.

The woman I talked to sounded like she was in Atlanta or something. I told her my situation, and she didn't mention the $75 off thing even once.

Maybe you're a stand-up employee, but that doesn't mean that everyone else in the company is.

mach_u
05-20-2007, 09:59 AM
Obviously you're a bit biased though since you work for them.

When I went to the stores on Tuesday to try to get things worked out, the first store's sign said they opened at 10, and by 10:15, the door was still locked. The guy I talked to at the second store only took his eyes away from text messaging once for the entire time I was in there. A bunch of pros they hired for those two stores.

The woman I talked to sounded like she was in Atlanta or something. I told her my situation, and she didn't mention the $75 off thing even once.

Maybe you're a stand-up employee, but that doesn't mean that everyone else in the company is.
Justin's a good dude - he just hooked me up with this (http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/PhonesAccessories/PhoneDetails.jsp?navLocator=%7Cshop%7CphonesAccess ories%7CallPhones%7C&selectSkuId=samsungM620&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1476015&CURRENT_USER%3C%3EATR_SCID=ECOMM&CURRENT_USER%3C%3EATR_PCode=None&CURRENT_USER%3C%3EATR_cartState=group) bad boy! :bigthumb Sorry about your phone Paul. As he said you should definitely be eligible for that $75 - I know Rachel was and her contract isn't up untill Feb. next year. Good luck!

Black Hole
05-20-2007, 12:24 PM
Matt how are you liking that u740? Thats the one i was thinking about getting.
I like it.

I was debating between the u740 and the new RAZR, but the Samsung was $100 cheaper, so I went that route.

Speaker quality/clarity is awesome....fast browser allows for quick internet browsing and text messaging, full keyboard, 2 way flip, MP3 capable with a memory card. :bigthumb

The ONLY thing that I don't like is the small normal buttons when using it as just a phone.....but 99% of my calls are out of my contacts, so it's no big deal.

Paul408Notch
05-20-2007, 12:58 PM
Justin's a good dude - he just hooked me up with this (http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/PhonesAccessories/PhoneDetails.jsp?navLocator=%7Cshop%7CphonesAccess ories%7CallPhones%7C&selectSkuId=samsungM620&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1476015&CURRENT_USER%3C%3EATR_SCID=ECOMM&CURRENT_USER%3C%3EATR_PCode=None&CURRENT_USER%3C%3EATR_cartState=group) bad boy! :bigthumb Sorry about your phone Paul. As he said you should definitely be eligible for that $75 - I know Rachel was and her contract isn't up untill Feb. next year. Good luck!

I'm sure he is, and I don't have any problem with him, I'm just saying he's going to be biased since he works for them.

My phone still technically works right now, I've just had some problems. I'll get it worked out soon enough.

Gene
05-20-2007, 01:10 PM
The very fact that you have to jump through hoops to get a deal on a new phone when you're perfectly willing to extend your contract is one of the reasons that I like T-mobile.

T-mobile's coverage isn't as good as Sprint or Verizon, but I've had nothing but good experiences with them from a customer service standpoint.

I lost my phone while out of town, and they offered to give a loaner (which I could had to return to that location) or let me buy a new phone that I could return within 14 days to any T-mobile location in the country if I found my phone.

Also, when I broke my phone while skiing, even though I only had it for 3 months, they sold me a new one at the discount rate. I had to extend my contact, but that didn't bother me.

I've had excellent service IN THE T-MOBILE STORE, and 99% of the time they can handle the issue without me having to call customer care.

I had Sprint before I switched to T-mobile (in 2003). After dealing with their customer service even back them, I'll never use them again.

one90gt
05-20-2007, 05:20 PM
I used to be with T-Mobile. Then we got a good deal with cincy bell and wrapped up the business lines with cells too. The problem I have now is I have this t-mobile razr phone and it is locked to t-mobile. I was going to put my daughter's sim card in it and let her have it but noooo. Now it is going to be an expensive target.
Keith

I wouldnt blow holes in that phone. It can be unlocked to be used on most networks. If you look around online you can figure out how.

Kelly Pelrine
05-20-2007, 10:29 PM
I like it.

I was debating between the u740 and the new RAZR, but the Samsung was $100 cheaper, so I went that route.

Speaker quality/clarity is awesome....fast browser allows for quick internet browsing and text messaging, full keyboard, 2 way flip, MP3 capable with a memory card. :bigthumb

The ONLY thing that I don't like is the small normal buttons when using it as just a phone.....but 99% of my calls are out of my contacts, so it's no big deal.

Sweet sounds like what im lookin for!

Camaro86SHOCKER
05-21-2007, 02:52 AM
I'm sure he is, and I don't have any problem with him, I'm just saying he's going to be biased since he works for them.

My phone still technically works right now, I've just had some problems. I'll get it worked out soon enough.

I never took at it as an argument i was just trying to help so no worries. Yeah your eligible for $75 right now.

I agree with Gene i actually still have a t-mobile account :D , they do the loaner phone program which is great but alot of stores do a used phone sale...I know my store imparticular will sell you a used phone to use while you wait on repairs, get a new one, wait for your contract to be up etc...and when i say that i mean thse used phones are cheap. Hell you could stop by and i'll sell you AJ's old taped up phone cheap...:bigthumb , just kidding we wont sell his its too bad but we do have nice ones we can.

All phones are usually repairable (unless water damage), usually treo,palm themselves will fix your phone for you.

But your best bet is to get that $7 plan on your newxt phone so you will never have to worry about this again especially on those smart phones, their like a computer they are just going to have problems and usually do.

Sorry about your luck with that store sounds like a bunch of d-bags...are they a corportate or indirect dealer? they shouldnt be texting at all. we do use our phones to help customers while were there so you will see us talking on them but nobody should be texting.

Actaully if your just in need of a phone til your contract expires i actually have a spare one laying around you can have.

Holly
05-21-2007, 09:03 AM
I just don't get it. Instead of going ahead and making the customer happy 2 months early, but still locking me into another 2-year contract, they say tough luck and make me want to leave as soon as my contract is up.

Another situation where I wonder who's in charge, and what the hell they're thinking.

Hava you tried going directly to the store? I have gotten new phones before my contract was up, and they have NEVER charged me the whole price, even if I was shy of the two years. But, I have been with Sprint since 1999, I don't know if that makes a difference. Never had my phone shut off because of non-payment or anything. I think you get better service if you go directly to the store instead of trying to do stuff over the phone.

Paul408Notch
05-21-2007, 12:50 PM
Hava you tried going directly to the store? I have gotten new phones before my contract was up, and they have NEVER charged me the whole price, even if I was shy of the two years. But, I have been with Sprint since 1999, I don't know if that makes a difference. Never had my phone shut off because of non-payment or anything. I think you get better service if you go directly to the store instead of trying to do stuff over the phone.

I went into two stores, but haven't gotten very far. Aside from the problems I listed above, none seem to have the Treo 755P in stock.

Maybe I'll just wait another month until the new-product hype dies down a bit, and try to pick one up for my birthday.

EVLORNG
05-21-2007, 01:32 PM
I may have to give this one a try. Hopefully they don't try to hammer it to me too badly.

Thanks man!

Been there, done that......contracts don't last forever.:smokin:

2-8-1
05-21-2007, 02:29 PM
So tonight I call Sprint and ask them what I can do about upgrading to the new Treo that came out this week. When August rolls around, I'll be eligible for a $150 discount for the contract renewal thing, but apparently even though I'm having some problems with this phone, they want me to pay full retail for the new one. $600!

Tell them that if they dont work with you, that you are leaving as soon as your contract is up. Sprint will do damn near anything to keep a customer. Even giving a free phone or two.

FireStang02
05-22-2007, 10:39 PM

I wasn't lying, I really have had some horrible experiences with a local Sprint store. I didn't find out about the retention department until I explained my first mishap to a friend. On the first occasion I had a very bad experience with the store personnel. They were rude and very unhelpful. They took one look at the phone and instantly wanted to blame it on the phone getting wet at some time. It was never dropped in any water or left somewhere to get wet. Maybe it got a rain drop or 2 on it a few times, but who lives in a bubble? They wouldn't do anything but be rude.

On the second occasion it was another phone on the same account that was over a year old but not quite at the 18 month mark. I mentioned something about the retention department after they would not help with much. They acted like they were mad that I even knew about it. They tried to say it didn't exist and lied and said I wouldn't get any help. They were wrong again.

I wasn't just trying to make some store person look bad to their management. Even after my bad experiences I never mentioned any names or store specifics. I just needed a new phone and have been a loyal Sprint customer for years. I got what I needed, just definately not at the store level. The retention department is very helpful and goes out of their way to help. The workers at my local store should take some lessons from them.

Foxxx5oh
05-22-2007, 11:18 PM
Tell them that if they dont work with you, that you are leaving as soon as your contract is up. Sprint will do damn near anything to keep a customer. Even giving a free phone or two.

i dont see that happening with a Treo...

hell, i've had issues with mine too, but mine is more signal fade than anything...the speaker crackle is an intermittent annoyance, but they can't replicate it...i would also suggest the insurance for the phones, my girlfriend get her phone stolen and within 3 days of calling and 50 bucks she had the same phone that got swiped...but i feel your Treo pain tho, its such a nice phone, but it is a PITA at the same time...best of luck to ya paul!!

Paul408Notch
05-23-2007, 02:47 AM
I talked to the guy in Retentions tonight, and he said they've been cracked down on, and can't really do much of anything for me. Apparently so many people have been calling and abusing the retentions program, Sprint put a hold on all discounts other than being able to knock an additional 75 bucks off the retail price of the phone. So the Treo that retails for 579 on the website would cost me 429. Gee, what a great deal.

I'm so tempted to just go somewhere else, but all the other companies shove it in with zero lube if you need a data plan. I guess I'll see how things go sometime down the road.

Black Hole
05-23-2007, 08:52 AM
Not me.....I was out of contract, had been with them for over 7 years, and they still wanted $150+ for a phone (basic flip phone with camera and color display) that I could get for free with Verizon. I ended up working with the manager of the store and he still wouldn't do anything.... :dunno:

I walked over to Verizon and got a phone for free (after $100 rebate) that would have cost me over $200 out of pocket at Sprint (for a similar phone).