PDA

View Full Version : Replaced my injectors...still has a miss...

Ryan218
05-19-2007, 08:56 PM
pulled my injectors today.. 93GTosu came over and we got the timing set....

my injectors were all gummy..replaced them with a set for a 91 GT that a buddy of mine had...it has helped but it still has a miss...now i know for a fact the the alternator is no more...(ie not charging) so im thinking that not enough power is getting to the coil and thats why is causing my problem...

also it sounds like it is backfiring in the intake...like its not burning the fuel? this would be consitint to the coil not getting enough power? becasue it is just running off the battery...i think sunday ill replace the alternator and see what happens...

any suggestion? also Justin pluged in a scanner to my 88 and nonthing...wont light up...pluged it in to my dads...works fine..pluged it into his 93 GT worked fine...could my computer be fucked up as well?

8NO4CYL
05-20-2007, 09:14 AM
I would bet it is just a bad connection on your diagnostic plug. They get all corroded.

88ssp
05-20-2007, 11:06 AM
Yeah, the plug is probably bad. I just checked the codes in my car using a test light and I had to probe the wire going into the socket the scanner would plug into. Very easy to do if you have a test light and a paper clip.

Also, a great place for EEC help is www.sbftech.com (http://www.sbftech.com).

Ryan218
05-20-2007, 11:19 AM
Ok...ill try that in a few...

Stangman
05-20-2007, 03:22 PM
how many miles are on your vert Ryan? maybe the timing chain is wore out and that could cause some miss/backfiring issues, i doubt it because they are a roller chain but its possible. swap coils on it and see if that helps, also check the pickup inside the distributor, they can go bad, and the metal ring that is in the dist. that the pickup coil reads off of, might not be getting a great contact surface since it has sat forever. but on another note, i met a guy the other day with an early 88 GT, he started his up and it did the same thing yours did, so who knows, may just be the picky speed density :rolleyes:

Ryan218
05-20-2007, 06:22 PM
how many miles are on your vert Ryan? maybe the timing chain is wore out and that could cause some miss/backfiring issues, i doubt it because they are a roller chain but its possible. swap coils on it and see if that helps, also check the pickup inside the distributor, they can go bad, and the metal ring that is in the dist. that the pickup coil reads off of, might not be getting a great contact surface since it has sat forever. but on another note, i met a guy the other day with an early 88 GT, he started his up and it did the same thing yours did, so who knows, may just be the picky speed density :rolleyes:

replaced the alternator today( wasent charging) along with the coil...helped a little but still has the dang miss...hell at this point the only thing i can think of that could casue something like this is

maybe just driving it will help :shrug:

and theres 91,924 miles on it.. and no it hasent rolled over...

1: the dis
2: the computer (**** speed denisty)
3: my car hates me :bigthumb

mustangboy
05-20-2007, 06:56 PM
Did you ever run Seafoam thru it? If not I would still try that and take it out and beat on it. It may just need to be run good and hard.

Ryan218
05-20-2007, 06:59 PM
Did you ever run Seafoam thru it? If not I would still try that and take it out and beat on it. It may just need to be run good and hard.

yeah i cant beat on it though..it will die if i try to...

im going to go take the test for my temps monday and while im there i guess ill get a temp tag for the mustang...

88ssp
05-20-2007, 07:23 PM
Did you run codes or not? No sense throwing money to the car and guessing what is wrong. RUN YOUR CODES.

Ryan218
05-20-2007, 07:27 PM
Did you run codes or not? No sense throwing money to the car and guessing what is wrong. RUN YOUR CODES.

yeah i have tried.. tried with the scanner it wont work...tried the paper clip trick and i get nonthing... :(

88ssp
05-20-2007, 07:31 PM
You got no flashes? Did you jump the wire like on SBFtech.com and then use a test light or AVOM? You should have gotten at least a code 11 (all clear). If the plug won't work, did you probe the correct wire?

Ryan218
05-20-2007, 07:55 PM
You got no flashes? Did you jump the wire like on SBFtech.com and then use a test light or AVOM? You should have gotten at least a code 11 (all clear). If the plug won't work, did you probe the correct wire?

yeah..i tired...ill have my dad go back and try it to see if i did something wrong which is a great possibility becasue wiring owns me

Timido
05-21-2007, 11:05 AM
Try swaping distributors from anouther car. Wore out Dist body can cause spark scatter across the distributor.

Take a vacum pump or vacum source and apply vacum to the egr valve while the engine is running. When you put vacum to the egr valve the engine shoud studder run like crap and or stall. If it does not studder run like crap and or stall you egr valve is stuck open. Clean or replace.

Base engine tests are good to do also. Compression tests and leak down tests can help rule out jumped timing, Burnt valves, Bad valve springs, bent push rods, bad rings.

Ryan218
05-21-2007, 07:35 PM
]Try swaping distributors from anouther car. Wore out Dist body can cause spark scatter across the distributor. [/B]

Take a vacum pump or vacum source and apply vacum to the egr valve while the engine is running. When you put vacum to the egr valve the engine shoud studder run like crap and or stall. If it does not studder run like crap and or stall you egr valve is stuck open. Clean or replace.

Base engine tests are good to do also. Compression tests and leak down tests can help rule out jumped timing, Burnt valves, Bad valve springs, bent push rods, bad rings.

hmmm good idea

NXcoupe
05-21-2007, 08:05 PM
Also check your firing order, ford is #1 on passenger side front, then goes 234 on that side and driver's side is 5678 from front to rear. Distributor rotation is counterclockwise with #1 terminal being in the center rear usually. Go counterclockwise 13726548 . If the wires are all correct, then you probably have another issue, but I would bet from what you are describing that a wire maybe off. Also check your plug gap, and check the grounds on your battery. Hope this helps.

Timido
05-21-2007, 09:44 PM
Yup that counter clockwire has fooled everyone

Ryan218
05-21-2007, 10:39 PM
Also check your firing order, ford is #1 on passenger side front, then goes 234 on that side and driver's side is 5678 from front to rear. Distributor rotation is counterclockwise with #1 terminal being in the center rear usually. Go counterclockwise 13726548 . If the wires are all correct, then you probably have another issue, but I would bet from what you are describing that a wire maybe off. Also check your plug gap, and check the grounds on your battery. Hope this helps.

whats #1 on the Dis?

Timido
05-22-2007, 09:16 AM
#1 is marked on the cap.

Ryan218
05-22-2007, 03:44 PM
#1 is marked on the cap.

ok thanks :bigthumb