PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth earpiece ideal for a Jeep with top/doors off?

Black Hole
05-20-2007, 11:16 PM
I just picked up a new Samsung phone and I got the Bluetooth package for it. Using the salesman's advice, I chose the Plantronics 330Z (http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessoryPopup?item=accessoryMart&accessoryId=25356)earpiece http://cache.vzw.com/images_b2c/accessories/lg/plan_330_blue_heads.jpg which does pretty well under normal conditions, but doesn't cancel out all of the wind/tire/other noises (so basically it's useless when I'm driving which is the reason that I want it).

Does anyone have any recommendations that Verizon sells (http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=accessoryMart&action=viewBluetoothAccessories&model=Capable Devices&make=Bluetooth@reg;)(I have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee where I can return this one and choose another one or get my money back )?

Black Hole
05-20-2007, 11:36 PM
I've read some good reviews of the Plantronics 510 and something called the "Jawbone". Anyone have any experiences with either of them?

PaulFiveOh
05-20-2007, 11:43 PM
Scala Brand.

http://cardowireless.com/products.php

Has an independent mic just for noise cancellation

Gene
05-20-2007, 11:44 PM
I have the Jawbone. It works really well...I can use it in the 911 with the windows down and sunroof open, so you shouldn't have a problem in the Jeep.

Katmandu
05-21-2007, 04:45 AM
I have the Jawbone. It works really well...I can use it in the 911 with the windows down and sunroof open, so you shouldn't have a problem in the Jeep.

Would it work as well in a convertible ya think ??? :confused:

Black Horse
05-21-2007, 07:21 AM
Wear a helmet!

KenB
05-21-2007, 07:28 AM
Bluetooth earpieces are gay. When did we all become so important that we needed a phone implanted into our heads every waking hour?

dedpedal
05-21-2007, 07:31 AM
Bluetooth earpieces are gay. When did we all become so important that we needed a phone implanted into our heads every waking hour?

Its the Borg man. Theyre trying to assimilate mankind a little at a time and these sheep are lining up to become one with the borg!

I get really iritated when someone is talking to me and someone else with one of these things. Hell, I wouldnt have a cell phone if my boss didnt insist on it as well as pay for most of it.

mach_u
05-21-2007, 07:40 AM
I hear ya! I have a super nice motorolla earpiece that the old man picked up with my work phone and I haven't charged it in months. It's one thing to use it while drive for safety I guess - but I can't stand seeing people walking through stores talking on them or worse the ones that come in to O'Charleys while I'm working with them on, not even talking on them - but still leaving them in their ears!

02mingryGT
05-21-2007, 07:53 AM
I have one but I only use it when I'm driving or working on the car. But like everyone else has said walking around with it on and not using it is GAY.

PaulFiveOh
05-21-2007, 08:52 AM
I hear ya! I have a super nice motorolla earpiece that the old man picked up with my work phone and I haven't charged it in months. It's one thing to use it while drive for safety I guess - but I can't stand seeing people walking through stores talking on them or worse the ones that come in to O'Charleys while I'm working with them on, not even talking on them - but still leaving them in their ears!

Lol AJ, wanna give me a deal on it?

Black Horse
05-21-2007, 09:11 AM

I agree! Sometimes I want to slap a few folks on the head just to dislodge the damn things. Its like zombies walking around talking to themselves or just trying to look im-po-tant. I might agree a small amount that they are beneficial when driving so at least you have 2 hands on the wheel while you still drive completely distracted.

Matt: Are you sure you are having wind noise across the earpiece or is it the sound of the wind rushing over your ear opening? Does it make a sound like blowing across an empty beer bottle?

Black Hole
05-21-2007, 09:21 AM
I only plan on using it while driving.....both because I don't have a 3rd hand AND even though I have an awesome phone with really good sound quality, it's hard to hear with all the wind noise around with the top and doors off (which is how my Jeep will be 99% of the time until October or so).

When I have a day full of meetings, I need to be able to check messages and return calls in between and a lot of times I only have the "drive time" between meetings.

I can't stand the people who walk around all day long with the damn thing in their ear...

Gene, where'd you get the Jawbone from?

Hey Dave...:flipoff:

Gene
05-21-2007, 09:41 AM

I only use it when driving. A manual transmission and no power steering make it a bit tough to drive and talk at the same time. Also, the noise-cancelling makes it a lot easier to hear someone than talking through the receiver.

Oh, and some of us actually ANSWER our phones when people call them. ;) :HYF:

Gene, where'd you get the Jawbone from?

www.jawbone.com

Sharad
05-21-2007, 10:03 AM

Some of us drive performance cars. One of the tenets of performance driving is "keep both hands on the wheel." A bluetooth earpiece allows me to keep both hands on the wheel while talking on the phone, if a call comes through. It also keeps me legal. Many places have laws against holding a handset while driving.

I also have the jawbone. It's pricey, but it does work with the windows down. Good luck!

5.0calypso93lx
05-21-2007, 10:56 AM
I love mine. I need to get a better quality one as mine sometimes breaks up(I have a low end motorola). I don't wear it all the time, but I like to wear it when driving, and especially in the garage, so instead of having to open my phone and use a hand to hold it, I just hit a button on my ear and I can keep working.

I also got a discount from my insurance company for wearing one while I'm driving.

Black Hole
05-21-2007, 11:11 AM
Sounds good....looks like I'm gonna take the Plantronics piece back tonight and order a Jawbone... :bigthumb

mach_u
05-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Lol AJ, wanna give me a deal on it?
It's not mine so I can't sell it. If you had stuck around long enough to sell some PCs you may have been given one of your own. :tongue2:

Rick93coupe
05-21-2007, 08:38 PM
my buddy was complaining about his Jawbone ear piece today, said it didn't work like the commercials said it did, he still has a bunch of wind noise on his. He drives a jeep by the way.

Sharad
05-21-2007, 10:08 PM
I've taken phone calls while mowing the lawn!

I sometimes wear mine outside the car because I have a bunch of mp3s on my phone and the jawbone will play them through my phone.