PDA

View Full Version : Solenoid question

Rich
05-22-2007, 07:45 AM
I am attempting to get my pice of shit to start. I am positive that I have everything hooked up properly on the solenoid. The problem is that I have no power getting to the "smaller" trigger wire that runs from one side of the solenoid to the starter. I can jump the 2 post and it will engage the starter.

There is a small post on the solenoid that has a small wire that runs to it. Should this be "hot" when the key is turned in the on position or when the car is being "started"?

dedpedal
05-22-2007, 07:51 AM
I am attempting to get my pice of shit to start. I am positive that I have everything hooked up properly on the solenoid. The problem is that I have no power getting to the "smaller" trigger wire that runs from one side of the solenoid to the starter. I can jump the 2 post and it will engage the starter.

There is a small post on the solenoid that has a small wire that runs to it. Should this be "hot" when the key is turned in the on position or when the car is being "started"?

The small post is hot only when cranking. If its not getting power in the crank position, check all your neutral safety switch wiring. Since its internal on an AOD, the harness that comes thru the floor must be connected in the fatcory wiring harness under the carpet. Again, I had the same issue.

Rich
05-22-2007, 07:57 AM
That's it....I just remembered that I still need the harness that runs from the neutral safety switch to the connector that plugs into the car's harness. I will need to source this from a junk yard.

Ded...you are officially hired as my "Rich is all screwed up, how can I help person"

Thanks

quik lx
05-22-2007, 12:05 PM
The small post is hot only when cranking. If its not getting power in the crank position, check all your neutral safety switch wiring. Since its internal on an AOD, the harness that comes thru the floor must be connected in the fatcory wiring harness under the carpet. Again, I had the same issue.

DAMN!!! Why am I doing your wiring?

5.0calypso93lx
05-22-2007, 01:22 PM
That's it....I just remembered that I still need the harness that runs from the neutral safety switch to the connector that plugs into the car's harness. I will need to source this from a junk yard.

Ded...you are officially hired as my "Rich is all screwed up, how can I help person"

Thanks

PM instantaction on here. His name is John, and he's up in dayton, and he is putting an automatic in his 93 hatch, and I remember seeing those two harnesses that you need, because I specifically remember how tough it was to find those two little harnesses back when I had the same problem, so I don't think he will need them. His car was originally a 5 speed, so those should be the right harnesses you need.

dedpedal
05-22-2007, 06:22 PM
Rich, if the car was originaly a 5 speed, you can put fuses in the connector for the clutch interlock, if it was originaly an auto, ind the open harness connector and jump the wire. I believe its red with a blue tracer. Youll still need to get the correct harness to be legal to race, or engineer a neutral switch that works.

juiced347
05-22-2007, 09:42 PM
i belivie i might have the harnesses i went from auto to stick post some pics of them and i can see if thet are them and i will just let you have them

Rich
05-23-2007, 12:42 AM
i belivie i might have the harnesses i went from auto to stick post some pics of them and i can see if thet are them and i will just let you have them

The car is an original auto 4cyl car....juiced347, that would be awesome!

01cobra
05-23-2007, 03:08 PM
Hey Rich when you gonna bring that POS down and let me stick a turbo on it for you? JK Im so busy right now I cant seem to get my own junk running. I got the hot side done and sent off to JetHot. Im am being sent to Japan for a couple weeks for work so the pipes should be back when I return. Then I still have to fab up the cold side and get it all in the car. Here is a link to my car domain so you can check it out. http://www.cardomain.com/id/matts01cobra I need your number again to I lost my cell and had to get a new one. Think I might have left it sitting on the bumper of my truck :HYF: