PDA

View Full Version : DAMN check engine light

BlazinEagle
05-24-2007, 06:46 PM
This is the second time the check engine light has come on in the mustang. I called Colerain Ford and got them to look at it the next day (wednesday) at 7 am. After waiting for an hour I ask what is going on and they tell me it is probably a fuel sensor, but it has to be delivered. They give me a ride home and say to call back at 1pm. I call and they tell me it is not the sensor and they have to replace the ecm! WTF a car less than a year old needs a new ecm? I ask them how long this will take and they have no idea because the ecm is coming from a vendor. I called today at 4:30 and they still have no idea how long this is going to take. I am stuck driving my father in-laws old car while my new car just sits at Colerain Ford! They offered to give me a rental, but having to take out insurance for the rental, just did not seem to make sense. I wanted to just tell them to steal a ecm off of one of their cars on the lot since they do not seem to be selling anything right now that doesn't get great gas mileage. Oh well the only bright side is I am not paying for premium gas and not racking up any mileage.

Ranger50
05-24-2007, 07:16 PM
Sounds like you got a Chrysler!

But seriously, PCM/BCM/TCM/etc..are now all vendor ship items. You have to have the "old" unit wiped clean before it can be tested against failure, which is a vendor only deal...Plus given all new modules require VIN's to be active, you can't just swap them out from another car anymore.....

Stangman
05-24-2007, 08:14 PM
Man i am right there with you, my engine light WILL NOT go away... but my car is a lot older than yours.... still sucks!!! :mad:

Black Hole
05-24-2007, 11:02 PM
This is the second time the check engine light has come on in the mustang. I called Colerain Ford and got them to look at it the next day (wednesday) at 7 am. After waiting for an hour I ask what is going on and they tell me it is probably a fuel sensor, but it has to be delivered. They give me a ride home and say to call back at 1pm. I call and they tell me it is not the sensor and they have to replace the ecm! WTF a car less than a year old needs a new ecm? I ask them how long this will take and they have no idea because the ecm is coming from a vendor. I called today at 4:30 and they still have no idea how long this is going to take. I am stuck driving my father in-laws old car while my new car just sits at Colerain Ford! They offered to give me a rental, but having to take out insurance for the rental, just did not seem to make sense. I wanted to just tell them to steal a ecm off of one of their cars on the lot since they do not seem to be selling anything right now that doesn't get great gas mileage. Oh well the only bright side is I am not paying for premium gas and not racking up any mileage.

Did you have a tune done after you installed the CAI and catback?

BlazinEagle
05-25-2007, 06:23 AM
NO, I installed the CAI and axelback when the car had 800 miles on it and now I have 10,500. Both the CAI and axelback said they did not require a tune.

bobtsgt
05-25-2007, 07:08 AM
Hope the new puter fixes everything. Since the light is on it goes into safe mode so gas mileage suffers. Hope its not a sensor they overlooked.

dedpedal
05-25-2007, 07:43 AM
I think dealerships are pretty good on things that they are giving for free to the customer, however if you are paying, they screw you as hard as possible and try to make you think that theyre doing you a favor.

Black Hole
05-25-2007, 08:41 AM
NO, I installed the CAI and axelback when the car had 800 miles on it and now I have 10,500. Both the CAI and axelback said they did not require a tune.
I wouldn't trust the manufacturer.....they won't spring for a new motor if something goes bad and a lean condition eats a piston.

Ask around......the '05+ cars need a tune for 99% of powermaking mods.....including something as simple as a CAI. I'd atleast get it on a dyno and have the A/F checked.

BigBadStang
05-25-2007, 09:39 AM
....They offered to give me a rental, but having to take out insurance for the rental, just did not seem to make sense...
it doesnt make sense because there is a 99% chance your existing insurance policy covers any vehicle you drive, unless you are underwritten by "Safe Auto", or "The General", or other gimmicky minimum coverage insurance company. its a way for the rental companies to make extra $$. call your agent, and I'm certain they'll tell you your covered.

mb88coupe
05-25-2007, 03:02 PM
i am a lesbian

mb88coupe
05-25-2007, 03:09 PM
i agree on that

02mingryGT
05-25-2007, 03:14 PM
:popcorn:

BlazinEagle
05-29-2007, 10:54 PM
Damnit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111 I got the car back and drove it for 4 days and I get the fucking check engine light again...This is the 3rd light since I bought it

Black Hole
05-29-2007, 10:59 PM
Damnit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111 I got the car back and drove it for 4 days and I get the fucking check engine light again...This is the 3rd light since I bought it
Put the stock parts back on and I bet the light goes away....

See my post above for other ideas. ;)

BlazinEagle
05-29-2007, 11:02 PM
I am going to do that tomorrow. I just do not know why it would act up after 10,xxx miles. They replaced a sensor and the pcm 4 days ago.

Black Hole
05-29-2007, 11:06 PM
I am going to do that tomorrow. I just do not know why it would act up after 10,xxx miles. They replaced a sensor and the pcm 4 days ago.

I dunno.

I've heard the 05+ computers are more sensative than the older ones.....that's why they need the tune to be adjusted for even minor mods.

Checkout www.modularfords.com for more info.

cj360v8
05-30-2007, 10:32 PM
Being a mechanic at a dealership (not ford), I can understand how this happens as unfortunately it has happened to me in the past. Whenever there is a major model change on a vehicle, such as the '05 and newer Mustangs, it can take some time, yes even a couple of years, before the "common" issues start to show themselves. Which means that sometimes you get to throwing parts at a car in hopes of a repair. I know it sounds stupid right. "Why don't you just take the time to test everything and make sure you know what's wrong?" If only it was that easy. For all of you not in the business, it's all comes down to time. Especially when dealing with cars under warranty. For example: your check engine light. Ford will pay say half an hour worth of diagnosis to find out what the cause is. Now if it takes the tech five minutes, or three hours, he gets paid half an hour worth of work. Now I don't know about you, but I don't work for free. So what happens is they do what they can with the time given and then make the best educated guess off of the information they've been able to collect. Now I don't know about Ford, but where I am, if you don't find a part in need of replacement, you don't get paid. Basically (and this is under warranty only) if a part is not faulty, there is no problem, so if there is no problem, you're not doing anything, and you don't get paid. It's stupid I know, but that's the system and you do what you can to make the system work for you. Everybody's gotta eat you know?

As for those that are not covered under warranty, from what I've seen at the dealerships I've worked in both here in Cincy and in Chicago, if a customer is paying out of pocket, more time and effort is put in by the technician to make sure they have a correct diagnosis.

To wrap it up, try and be patient with the dealer as frustrating as it can be. They are gonna be more pissed to see your car still broken than you will be taking it back to them. We like things to be smooth and easy so we can make more money. Problem cars are a waste of time and and a loss of money. And the cooler you are with your dealer, the cooler they'll be with you, both now and in the future.

Good luck though
-Pat-

BlazinEagle
05-30-2007, 10:38 PM
I am always polite with anyone who deals with my stuff. I uninstalled the flowmasters today and unhooked the battery to see if the CEL goes away. I will find out in the morning.
-Rodney

cj360v8
05-30-2007, 10:40 PM
Just out of curiosity, do you know what fault(s) your throwing?

BlazinEagle
05-30-2007, 10:43 PM
Not right now. last time they told me the fuel was running at 74psi...atleast thats what the sensor was reading.

Black Hole
05-31-2007, 09:16 AM
Not right now. last time they told me the fuel was running at 74psi...atleast thats what the sensor was reading.
Is the CAI still on there?

I would bet that it would cause more issues than a catback.....JMO.

BlazinEagle
05-31-2007, 03:45 PM
yes it is still on there. It is coming off today. I had to pick the factory air box up from my storage spot. I did drive around all day with just the Cai on and no lights so far.