PDA

View Full Version : Nice exhaust

jaystang44
05-24-2007, 11:54 PM
I was looking around for a after market exhaust that will give my stock GT 2002 a little more gerrrrr to it. I dont have much to spent but anyone have any good ideas that i could look in to buying? Just keep in mind I DONT HAVE A LOT OF MONEY TO SPEND!

Just looking for ideas and the meaner the rumble the better :)

MADMOD
05-25-2007, 08:23 AM
If you want just the sound and not a whole cat back DynoMax Bullets will do the trick. I think they are like 30 something a piece. I think is about as cheap as you can get with out buying used

Black Hole
05-25-2007, 08:52 AM
I loved the old "offroad H and Flowmaster" sound on my 00 GT, but it's a common sound.....everybody has it. I had the mufflers welded into the stock catback, but I'll never do that again...

I've ran Bassani on my 01 and 03 Cobra's and I like it even more.....more of a higher pitch because of the X pipe.....still loud, sounds good, but different from a lot of the Flomaster stangs around.

Here's a link for a SLP catback that's forsale in the classifieds. (http://www.stangbangerz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27759)

Here's a link to a Bassani X pipe that I'm selling. (http://www.stangbangerz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21137)

jaystang44
05-25-2007, 11:11 AM
Any body heard of cherry bombs they any good?

Carl
05-25-2007, 11:14 AM
Any body heard of cherry bombs they any good?

:eek: HELL NO! Unless you want to be back woods redneck, please do not put Cherry Bombs on your car. I heard one the other day down here and it sounded like poo.

Black Hole
05-25-2007, 11:15 AM
Uhhh....not unless you have an old Chevy truck. ;)

I'd stay away from the glasspacks. Go with a known muffler. Even if you just pickup some Flows from Craig and have someone weld em in for $75.

jaystang44
05-25-2007, 11:25 AM
What kind of muffler should i look into buying? I like the sound of Bassani but I dont know I dont really know much about the exhaust system

Black Hole
05-25-2007, 11:34 AM
What are your current mods?

Exhaust tone preference varies from person to person.

Bassani is one of the more expensive brands, but I like the quality, sound, and performance.

I prefer a full catback because of the mendrel bends and the larger diameter pipe. Magnaflow/Bassani/Dynomax/SLP/Flowmaster/MAC - each has their own sound and you're paying for the quality. Even the aluminized systems these days don't really rust, so anything is better than stock.

I'd listen to people's cars and make your decision that way.

85_SS_302_Coupe
05-25-2007, 12:00 PM
I've got some used Race Bullets i'll sell you for $40...you'll have to get them welded in but they're perfectly usable and that's pretty cheap. PM me if you're interested.

jaystang44
05-25-2007, 01:02 PM
See I would be interested but why would you have to weld them in and is that ok to do.

See I would love to get a full catback system but it cost too much.

My stang is all stock and I did listen to some sound clips off the internet and I loved the steeda or Bassani they seem to have more of the deep rumble. Flowmaster and magaflow are the most popual atleast I think and there alright. I just dont have the money to spend for a full catback system :( Because if i did trust me i would get one

Black Hole
05-25-2007, 01:13 PM
Back in the day, I did the whole "buy a couple of mufflers from Summit and have em welded in by a local shop" thing to my 00 GT. Afterwards I added a Flowtech offroad H that I picked up from Jegs while I was in Columbus one weekend.

Did it sound good? Yeah....
Did I leave power on the table by not upgrading to a 2.5" mendrel bent system? I'm sure I did.
Did it look good? Not really....the welding wasn't that great, the stock tips were uneven and began to rust before they were even 4 years old...

And it cost me a little over $200 for the mufflers and the welding when I could have bought a full catback for a little more.

I'd try to find a full system used....or maybe just a mid-pipe (you'll pickup more power with a midpipe on those cars than a catback). A midpipe will increase the volume of your current exhaust and help you pickup a little power.....the catback will give you a little more power, but they are mostly for sound.

Listen to some systems in person.....you can't get a realistic sound clip on the net.

jaystang44
05-25-2007, 01:20 PM
See dont get me wrong I love/need the power but I am looking for more of the sound for now in till i start co-oping and I have money. I dont think I want to do any of the welting crap. Anybody know of or selling a catback system for "cheap" PLEASE. I would look but im too lazy right now lol. I am looking for good sound and I have a 2002 GT all stock.

Ill look later but just seeing if i could get some responses..

bobtsgt
05-25-2007, 05:52 PM
the usual is flowmaster 40 series 2 chambers and a o/r H pipe. Macs are cheap in price for their H pipes. The H will sound deeper then an X. Go to mustangexhaust.com and listen to the clips. might give you an idea of what to look for. To do it easy you can weld up any set of mufflers and either connect the old pipes for now or dump it.

strokercobra
05-27-2007, 01:14 PM
or maybe just a mid-pipe (you'll pickup more power with a midpipe on those cars than a catback). A midpipe will increase the volume of your current exhaust and help you pickup a little power..

the usual is flowmaster 40 series 2 chambers and a o/r H pipe. Macs are cheap in price for their H pipes. The H will sound deeper then an X.

Before I really upgraded my exhaust I had a Mac pro-chamber mid pipe. It just bolted right in, no welding, do-it yourself. Getting rid of those pesky cats can give ya power and definitely more sound. It will even make those stock mufflers sound decent. Bang for the buck and ease of installation makes this option viable.

mach_u
05-28-2007, 11:39 AM
Before my longtubes I had an O/R Magnaflow X and a Magnaflow catback. I was real happy with the sound. Quiet just cruising around(no obnoxious drone) but real loud when I got into it - now with the LT's and the magnaflow catback it sounds a ton better though! ;) The wife had a hi-flow catted x-pipe with magapacks on her '03 that sounded sweet as hell too.

jaystang44
05-28-2007, 12:14 PM
hey guys thanks for all the feed back keep it coming....

FireStang02
05-28-2007, 03:08 PM
I have an 02 GT that is all stock. I just swapped out the stock cat-back with an SLP Loud Mouth catback. Sounds awesome with the stock h pipe. Plus the 3 1/2" polished tips look killer. Best thing is that I bought it used off MD for $150. There are way too many bargains to be found on the internet. I would never buy exhaust new. Just look around. You can come check mine out sometime if you wanna hear it.

2-8-1
05-28-2007, 08:45 PM
If you want just the sound and not a whole cat back DynoMax Bullets will do the trick. I think they are like 30 something a piece. I think is about as cheap as you can get with out buying used

They are 39.99 + handling from Jegs, I have a set on mine I'm taking off this week, would take 60+ Shipping, or meet to pickup.

I like the sound, but its a little too loud for me, I also have an o/r X and mandrel bent tails, so thats where the loudness comes from.

strokercobra
05-30-2007, 12:13 AM
They are 39.99 + handling from Jegs, I have a set on mine I'm taking off this week, would take 60+ Shipping, or meet to pickup.

I like the sound, but its a little too loud for me, I also have an o/r X and mandrel bent tails, so thats where the loudness comes from.

$80 new and you want $60 used :dunno: cut the kid a break. Maybe $50 would sound sweeter....:)

2-8-1
05-30-2007, 12:18 AM
They are like 95 shipped. I'll do $50.00 though. Fellow Stanger and all.

jaystang44
05-30-2007, 12:48 AM
So you think the bullets will sound ok with stock everything else?
I dont want something too too loud just a nice deeper rumble then stoch exhausts.

strokercobra
05-30-2007, 10:10 PM
They are like 95 shipped. I'll do $50.00 though. Fellow Stanger and all.

Good man 2-8-1, :sbowns:

So you think the bullets will sound ok with stock everything else?
I dont want something too too loud just a nice deeper rumble then stoch exhausts.

Shouldn't be too loud with the cats and all still intact. What do you think 2-8-1? Agree or disagree?

2-8-1
05-31-2007, 12:21 AM
Good man 2-8-1

I remember what it was like when I first started modding my GT, money was thin. Ive been helped out along the way by many fellow Mustang owners, Im just trying to keep the kindness in the family. Im sure Ill be buying stuff off members on here sooner or later, Ill make the $10.00 back somewhere along the lines lol!

With the cats and stock pipes, it will sound exactly like the SLP Loudmouth with stock cats and pipes. I loved the sound of them with stock everything on a friends car. Nice, deep, think Flowmaster's without the metallic sounds...very throaty, all V8.

I put mine on with 2.5inch off road x pipe, and 2.5 inch mandrel bent tail pipes. Very muscle car tone.

I love the sound, they are just too loud. I drive a LOT in the car, and they are just a little more than I bargained for. Will sound great on stock piping though.

Shouldn't be too loud with the cats and all still intact. What do you think 2-8-1? Agree or disagree?

Agreed

I doubt you will notice much of a sound increase with them. I ran for a long time with dumps on the stock H-pipe, no piping after the bolts. Wasn't loud at all.

jaystang44
05-31-2007, 12:59 PM
I dont know though if stock is 2.25" ad the mufflers are 2.5" in and out I dont want to have to weld anything so will it fit the stock exhaust????

I thank you for the great price I will have to give back to the family when I can ..... and pass the torch on :)

BillyBob
05-31-2007, 02:39 PM
If you recall hearing mine this is what I have... MAC offroad H-pipe along with a MAC catback.

jaystang44
05-31-2007, 04:22 PM
See I just want to know how it will sound with the stock mid-pipe and catback if it can even fit? Ever sound clip or car that has em has some sort of after market mid-pipe or catback. I just dont have the money to buy a mid-pipe or cat back or else i would.

2-8-1
05-31-2007, 05:56 PM
Have you ever heard a clip of the SLP Loudmouth? Same thing.

With the 2.25 you will need a few 2.5 to 2.25 reducers. They are not neccesary, any exhaust man that knows anything about welding can fit them on, your looking at only 1/8th inch of space difference from any angle and weld will cover that up. They will work fine with the stock pipes.

vypastang
06-06-2007, 08:02 PM
just stay away from flowmasters thats all i ask...i can just about look at a mustang and tell it has flowmasters, be different :bigthumb

jaystang44
06-06-2007, 10:40 PM
yea but flowmasters sound great thats y there so popular

Bluecrew07
06-07-2007, 12:17 AM
take a lil drive and come to soutside and they will hook you up they are in bethel