PDA

View Full Version : Want to put cams in

Bluecrew07
05-28-2007, 12:57 PM
Want to get some cams. but dont know anything about them whats a good size? How much power do they add? I want big ones so that i can hear them. would like to have the cam effect of the car just about staling out but doesnt.

bobtsgt
05-28-2007, 08:43 PM
you can always pull a vacuum line and get that almost stall feeling :lol:

Bluecrew07
05-28-2007, 10:06 PM
you can always pull a vacuum line and get that almost stall feeling :lol:
na was thinking more of the real thing

Dirtyd0g
05-29-2007, 12:06 AM
I suggest vt stage 2's or comp 270's for you. You have enough stall and gear for it.
Alan

cstreu1026
05-29-2007, 10:25 AM
don't forget the valve springs. You will need to upgrade those as well.

Bluecrew07
05-29-2007, 11:12 AM
do i have to do heads also or can i just do cams and springs

cstreu1026
05-29-2007, 11:41 AM
you can do just the heads and springs and as far as I know the swap can be done with the heads on the engine in the car if you have the OTC tool.

KenB
05-29-2007, 11:57 AM
you can do just the heads and springs and as far as I know the swap can be done with the heads on the engine in the car if you have the OTC tool.

I wouldn't recommend using the tool. I'd say about 1 in 20 guys that have used the tool have destroyed their engines with a chain that slipped. The swap can be done with the heads on the engine in the car without the tool, just takes longer.

I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself unless you are very confident you know what you are doing. There was a time where we would get 3 calls a week from guys who tried it themselves and wiped out their valves.

The 270's from comp would also be a stretch. They fit but they are tight and would require a bit more attention to be sure they will work problem free. They are my favorite off the shelf cams though, that is what was in my car waaay back when.

bobtsgt
05-29-2007, 12:08 PM
its not that bad in the car just have to take off the front cover so you know everything lines up right the first time. I agree that the tool is junk. Taking the cover off is not that big of a deal to do plus lets you look at how everything works inside. I wouldn't do it by yourself though Josh. The car will be down for awhile but it can all be done in a long days time.

cstreu1026
05-29-2007, 12:16 PM
Maybe I was thinking of a different tool. Doesn't OTC have a tool that is required to remove the springs?

Bluecrew07
05-29-2007, 12:25 PM
its not that bad in the car just have to take off the front cover so you know everything lines up right the first time. I agree that the tool is junk. Taking the cover off is not that big of a deal to do plus lets you look at how everything works inside. I wouldn't do it by yourself though Josh. The car will be down for awhile but it can all be done in a long days time.
like an all nighter on my bday thing, then hop in the pool occasionally with a drink

bobtsgt
05-29-2007, 12:32 PM
Maybe I was thinking of a different tool. Doesn't OTC have a tool that is required to remove the springs?
yeah there is one that makes it easier to swap them. you also have to put air in the cylinder to keep the valve up too.

like an all nighter on my bday thing, then hop in the pool occasionally with a drink

It would be more of a start early and hope it all goes well before midnight type of thing. thats if you have everything you need right off the bat plus a good assortment of tools and a air ratchet. Plus you have to decide if you want to degree them or not which is another job in itself.

Mr.Moontang
05-29-2007, 12:55 PM
I have the 262's from Comp Cams and I like them alot.

Bluecrew07
05-29-2007, 02:18 PM
It would be more of a start early and hope it all goes well before midnight type of thing. thats if you have everything you need right off the bat plus a good assortment of tools and a air ratchet. Plus you have to decide if you want to degree them or not which is another job in itself.

Tools are a go. i wont start it untill i have everything that i need. i just need to get a list of parts and prices. maybe someone on here is selling some cams maybe

Bluecrew07
05-29-2007, 02:18 PM
I have the 262's from Comp Cams and I like them alot.
is there a big diff between 262 and 270?

bobtsgt
05-29-2007, 02:20 PM
hope you got atleast $500 saved up for the swap

Bluecrew07
05-29-2007, 04:59 PM
hope you got atleast $500 saved up for the swap
not yet but i will. gotta figure out what exactly i need

Dirtyd0g
05-30-2007, 01:44 AM
I don't trust the tools either. For aftermarket cams you really need to degree them. With 262's you'll be ok if you don't 270's will definately require it. For street use the 262's will probably do more for you but the 270's will give you better hp. I went 262's on my motor because I need vacuum for brakes.
Alan

04comporangegt
05-30-2007, 08:58 AM
I put comp cams XE274H's in my car. I wanted the sound also and they had a .500 lift so nothing would hit. My car is making 289 to the wheels with all the other bolt ons. I was happy with the power and sound.

Bluecrew07
05-30-2007, 10:28 AM
i want to get all the parts before my birthday so that i can do it on or the day before my birthday

Lt. Dangle
06-09-2007, 12:46 AM
Josh, I would personally suggest sending the car out to MD, or if Bobby is willing and able, have him come over and help you do this, because a camshaft swap is NO easy task to someone with minimal mechanical inclination.

02mingryGT
06-11-2007, 09:08 AM
I just put in VT Stage II N/A Cams. I went with those instead of the Comp 270's because of the fact the cams would have to had been degreed. MD has those cams I believe, though I bought mine straight from VT. IF you decide to do this yourself you need to take you time and triple read the instructions. It's really not that difficult if you read the instructions. I believe you can rent the spring tool at Autozone. IF you decide to do it, take your time. I can't stress that enough. DO NOT go into it with a fixed deadline your trying to make. If it takes 2-3 days instead of one then that's what it takes.

Bluecrew07
06-17-2007, 09:20 PM
I think that im gonna do a Intake Manifold first. cost a lil less:D