Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
To the darkside i go, trying to find a Stang [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : To the darkside i go, trying to find a Stang

Camaro86SHOCKER
05-29-2007, 04:13 AM
Before i start...I am keeping my f-bodies as well but i am looking to finally get a Mustang i suppose, and i didnt post this in the for sale section because i have questions about the fox's.

the story...Right now i have a 98 gmc sonoma, that im just sick of driving. it only has 92k, v6, Auto, longbed etc... but i just want something fun.

I have it on CraigsList right now as a trade for 5-speed 5.0 mustang.

I cant afford an ls1 (98+) camaro and i dont want another 3rd gen camaro (already have 2) so i was looking for something else. I decided on a clean fox and or sn95.

My questions are...How dependable are these cars? obviously im not going to go out and buy one with an ass ton of miles, and i want it to be in pretty good shape. Also what kind of fuel mileage do they average? this will indeed my daily driver.

I want a 5-speed v8, thats pretty much my requirements. Just wanting something fun to drive and get back into a stick shift for an everyday car. I'm trying to even trade my truck right now for one,or maybe even throw in some cash with the trade, anyone want to help me out and be the one who converted the Camaro guy?

If i end up selling the truck i'll probably get around 3500-3800 for it since thats a little less than what its worth but the bed is kinda beat up, can i buy a nice/dependable car for this or am i being unreasonable?

bobtsgt
05-29-2007, 07:53 AM
sounds like a plan. as long as you don't beat it and the motor is in good condition you should see 20+MPGs. bout time you realized you need something dependable :D

dedpedal
05-29-2007, 07:56 AM
Keep in mind that these cars are 15 to 20 years old and most likely will have the typical things to go bad. They are generaly dependable otherwise. 250k miles is not to far out of the norm for daily drivers either. Just look at Holly's coupe.

Holly
05-29-2007, 08:25 AM
Just look at Holly's coupe.

340k miles and still running strong. :bigthumb

331TwistedWedge
05-29-2007, 10:19 AM
i've seen them supercharged with 200,000 + miles ... you will probably get rid of your camaros when you see how cheap it is to get them running ... i've driven both, no comparison ... too each his own ... welcome to the other side and way to step out of the closet, lmao ... jfwy ... :bigthumb

bestracing
05-29-2007, 10:47 AM
I cant afford an ls1 (98+) camaro and i dont want another 3rd gen camaro (already have 2) so i was looking for something else. I decided on a clean fox and or sn95......

I want a 5-speed v8, thats pretty much my requirements. Just wanting something fun to drive and get back into a stick shift for an everyday car. I'm trying to even trade my truck right now for one,or maybe even throw in some cash with the trade, anyone want to help me out and be the one who converted the Camaro guy?

Nice choice, I would do the same for a fun car. I've got a 3rd gen for show and cruising. It would be fun to have something from the other side of the fence too.

I've always liked Mustangs and that was my first choice when I was looking for my fist car back in 83, Just wound up with a better deal on a Camaro and learned a lot about what makes a chevy run so I've stuck with it through the years.

Good luck on your hunt for a nice Fox body.

85_SS_302_Coupe
05-29-2007, 12:24 PM
I used to be "that Camaro guy", but believe me, you won't regret it, even with 50 less cubes. It's just plain old more fun on the winning side :D

Ryan218
05-29-2007, 02:19 PM
after you get a mustang...i bet you sell you camaro's so you can make your fox ultra fast.

PonymanfiveO
05-29-2007, 04:01 PM
get a stang, then you can ebay all your Journey, Billy Squier, Skynard, and Boston cassette tapes for money to buy go fast parts. :bigthumb

Just kiddin bro. Hope you find something you like.

Camaro86SHOCKER
05-29-2007, 06:03 PM
well anybody that knows me knows how attatched i am to my 86, it was my first car and ive made it everything it is today, I'll never sell that car. It will go to my kids when i die before id sell it. my 90 though i might consider one day selling just not right now.

I'm guessing im gonna have to sell the truck and buy a stang, i'm really looking forwa4rd to haveing a fun everyday car and a backup UMTR car :coo1:

85_SS_302_Coupe
05-29-2007, 06:10 PM
I drove my uncle's tuned port IROC for a while back before i ever got a Mustang. It was an ok car but honestly nowhere near as fast as a stock 5.0/5 speed Fox. Then i've got a cousin who raced a '79 Z28/454ci Camaro for years, and i grew up in love with that car, then he got a really nice '68 with a super rare paint job....white with pearl white SS stripes, and that car was nearly original and of course i loved it too.

THEEEEEN a buddy of mine got an '89 LX 5.0 5 speed and all it took was one trip around Old 74/R32 and i was hooked. 6 months later i bought an '88 GT and i haven't been without a Mustang since, and haven't sat in a Camaro since either.

One of my dream cars will always be a '70 1/2 split bumper Camaro, but what i learned is that when you grow up on one side of the fence, you listen to people around you and you form an opinion that's not necessarily true....like 302s being slow just because they're 50ci smaller than a 350. If you think about it, the Mustang has pretty much outsold the Camaro/Firebird every year since day 1, but it's also pretty much always had less power. There's a reason for that..

Mista Bone
05-29-2007, 10:42 PM
Lets see, what car started to pony wars, then again what car started the rebirth of muscle cars?

Mustang.

bestracing
05-30-2007, 07:42 AM
......but it's also pretty much always had less power. There's a reason for that..

It's been a battle back and forth with the power ratings and I'll be the first to say that the GM 305 motor, the biggest motor put into f-bodies from 82-86, is a piece of crap. When I first got into cars SBC stuff was always way cheapier than Ford stuff and more options to choose from. Ford also had many different bell housing patterns which when swaping engines, didn't make things easy. My bothers 65 Mustang had a 200 straight 6 in it when he first got it. Nothing would bolt up to the 260 he bought for it he had to swap out the whole drive line. Going to a 302 he is going to have to swap out the bell housing and trans again. At least GM had a standard bolt pattern for the transmissions which made things easier and cheapier to swap out. But now that the aftermarket industry got a kick in the head back in the 90's and the popularity of the Fox bodies performance Ford parts have gotten a lot cheapier and easier to get. It use to be you would see a hell of a lot more GM's at the strip than Fords, there was a reason for that, but not any more since you can build a Ford just a cheap as an old SBC.