PDA

View Full Version : Anyone need a hand installing a cam/heads on their 5.0??

5.0calypso93lx
05-29-2007, 06:59 PM
I'm just looking to see if anyone is going to be installing heads, or a cam in their 5.0/5.8 based engines. I'd like to be able to help/watch someone do it, and maybe learn a couple of things before I get my hands dirty. PM me and I'll shoot you my cell number.

PaulFiveOh
05-29-2007, 07:03 PM
your not going to tear apart your fresh 306 are you??

5.0calypso93lx
05-29-2007, 07:07 PM
your not going to tear apart your fresh 306 are you??

:D :D I'd like to do a cam VERY soon. But I do plan on some twised wedge heads, tfs stage 1 cam, and a holley sissymax intake in the near future.

fst 5pto
05-29-2007, 07:11 PM
:D :D I'd like to do a cam VERY soon. But I do plan on some twised wedge heads, tfs stage 1 cam, and a holley sissymax intake in the near future.

Now that's what im talking about.... let me know and Ill get my hands dirty helpin ya.... :bigthumb

5.0calypso93lx
06-04-2007, 12:16 PM
Bump this up guys, landed some valve springs over the weekend, so if anyone doing:

-cam
-heads
-valve springs

hit me up if you need a hand, i'll be toolbitch, whatever.

331TwistedWedge
06-04-2007, 10:03 PM

now thats a nice little combo ... you might punch 300 to the wheels :bigthumb

5.0calypso93lx
06-05-2007, 08:30 AM
now thats a nice little combo ... you might punch 300 to the wheels :bigthumb

I hope so, but I gotta figure out how to put them on first!!

331TwistedWedge
06-05-2007, 10:37 AM
I hope so, but I gotta figure out how to put them on first!!

let me know once you get everything ... i will guide you through it and even adjust your rockers ... make sure you get a set of stud mount 1.6 rockers, trick flow makes a set as well ...

you better do it soon, while i have a week or 2 off ..... i have 95redstangs project to finish ... :bigthumb

5.0calypso93lx
06-05-2007, 11:00 AM
let me know once you get everything ... i will guide you through it and even adjust your rockers ... make sure you get a set of stud mount 1.6 rockers, trick flow makes a set as well ...

you better do it soon, while i have a week or 2 off ..... i have 95redstangs project to finish ... :bigthumb

It won't be anytime soon. I'll let you know though. I'll help you with your brake swap and you can help me with h/c/i. Ever degree'd a cam before?

Silver Bullet
06-05-2007, 11:37 AM
It won't be anytime soon. I'll let you know though. I'll help you with your brake swap and you can help me with h/c/i. Ever degree'd a cam before?

If you want, you can help me do a brake swap....lol I ordered my brakes, and I have never ran brake line or even put in a line lock...... The brakes and rotors themselves should be no trouble, ooopsss did I say that out loud.... now I've did it!

5.0calypso93lx
06-05-2007, 12:07 PM
If you want, you can help me do a brake swap....lol I ordered my brakes, and I have never ran brake line or even put in a line lock...... The brakes and rotors themselves should be no trouble, ooopsss did I say that out loud.... now I've did it!

I've never done a strange setup before or a line lock, but I'd be willing to help out. Where are you located?

Silver Bullet
06-05-2007, 12:08 PM
I've never done a strange setup before or a line lock, but I'd be willing to help out. Where are you located?

The Eastside off Beechmont....

5.0calypso93lx
06-05-2007, 12:12 PM
The Eastside off Beechmont....

Pm me when you are wanting to do this.

331TwistedWedge
06-05-2007, 12:53 PM

well get a hold of me when you get everything, i will help out as much as i can ... depends on how busy i am ... dont worry, it will be done right ... we can go as far as degree-ing your cam and port matching your lower for a perfect fit ... if you want to go further, we can get 2 different pushrods for the intake and exhaust sides ...

i seen this combo dyno'd with the smaller trick flow intake (idle to 5500) and it made 280 to the wheels ... (horsepower tv - years ago) ... i think we can push 300, with things done a hair different ((they used a small mass air meter, 65mm tb/spacer, high flow cats & 3 chambers)) ... dont waste money on fuel injectors, your 19's will be just fine ... *make sure you buy the holly systemax intake* ... we will probably pop your cam in straight up (i did), but we will see how things look ... :bigthumb

Twisted Wedge Heads
Trick Flow Stage 1 Cam
Holley Systemax Intake
Hardened Pushrods (I Can Look Up My Notes For The Sizes I Used - Just Have To Find Them)
1.6 Trick Flow Rockers
Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator & Gauge
75 MM Throttle Body / Spacer (Because That Is Your Opening On The Systemax)
A Larger Mass Air Meter (You pick the size and brand)
Gaskets

Go See Craig On All Of This, He Is Now A "Trick Flow" Dealer ... I Think He Can Still Get The Holley Intakes ...

5.0calypso93lx
06-05-2007, 01:31 PM
well get a hold of me when you get everything, i will help out as much as i can ... depends on how busy i am ... dont worry, it will be done right ... we can go as far as degree-ing your cam and port matching your lower for a perfect fit ... if you want to go further, we can get 2 different pushrods for the intake and exhaust sides ...

i seen this combo dyno'd with the smaller trick flow intake (idle to 5500) and it made 280 to the wheels ... (horsepower tv - years ago) ... i think we can push 300, with things done a hair different ... make sure you buy the holly systemax intake ... we will probably pop your cam in straight up (i did), but we will see how things look ... :bigthumb

I'll let you know, and I appreciate it.

I've actually looked in to port matching the lower to the heads, and they are actually fairly close out of the box. But to make them match perfect we would have to do some work to both the heads and the lower, as the dimensions are:

Intake port dimensions

TFS TW heads: 2.0 x 1.2"
Holley Intake: 2.11 x 1.14" (per Holley tech line)

So I think I'm just gonna put them on as they are out of the box. I'd be happy with 300rwhp, with some other supporting mods. I'm REALLY liking the SCT BA2400 meter too.

5.0calypso93lx
06-05-2007, 01:54 PM
Twisted Wedge Heads
Trick Flow Stage 1 Cam
Holley Systemax Intake
Hardened Pushrods (I Can Look Up My Notes For The Sizes I Used - Just Have To Find Them)
1.6 Trick Flow Rockers
Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator & Gauge
75 MM Throttle Body / Spacer (Because That Is Your Opening On The Systemax)
A Larger Mass Air Meter (You pick the size and brand)
Gaskets

Go See Craig On All Of This, He Is Now A "Trick Flow" Dealer ... I Think He Can Still Get The Holley Intakes ...

Yea thats basically the setup I want to go with. I have heard of several people complain about the noise of the trick flow rockers though, so I've been looking at the crane golds, scorpions, and harland sharps. I do need a FPR. I have a guage on the fuel line already, and I'll need to pick up an accufab 75mm meter also.

331TwistedWedge
06-05-2007, 02:34 PM
Yea thats basically the setup I want to go with. I have heard of several people complain about the noise of the trick flow rockers though, so I've been looking at the crane golds, scorpions, and harland sharps. I do need a FPR. I have a guage on the fuel line already, and I'll need to pick up an accufab 75mm meter also.

you want to hear those rockers, buy a thicker valve cover (trick flow makes one, i use them) - if it bothers you ... you want the rockers at zero lash, more horsepower ... install them loose, you want to be able to twist the pushrod ... too tight and there goes some ponies! ... i think i have learned from one of the best when it comes to the valve train :bigthumb

another option on your combo, find a wrecked mountaineer or explorer (yank the engine) ... i have seen some low 12's out of those cammed up ... look at "12seclx" combo ....... mountaineer motor with a stock mustang cam - 12.30's ... just depends on how fast you want to go ........

i think the dedpedal guys (timido, jeff88coupe & ian) would have some good info for you, going that route ...

5.0calypso93lx
06-05-2007, 03:02 PM
you want to hear those rockers, buy a thicker valve cover (trick flow makes one, i use them) - if it bothers you ... you want the rockers at zero lash, more horsepower ... install them loose, you want to be able to twist the pushrod ... too tight and there goes some ponies! ... i think i have learned from one of the best when it comes to the valve train :bigthumb

another option on your combo, find a wrecked mountaineer or explorer (yank the engine) ... i have seen some low 12's out of those cammed up ... look at "12seclx" combo ....... mountaineer motor with a stock mustang cam - 12.30's ... just depends on how fast you want to go ........

i think the dedpedal guys (timido, jeff88coupe & ian) would have some good info for you, going that route ...

I already have some polished FRPP valve covers that are pretty thick. I hope I can still use those. I mean, I figure if I'm not buying the trick flow top end kit, I'm going to have to buy rockers anyway. Why not put up the little bit of extra change for the best rockers???

As good and cheap as an exploder motor is, I figured I might as well continue to use my brand short block. Maybe I should start another thread about a combo.

NXcoupe
06-07-2007, 12:37 AM
I am getting ready to put valve springs on and set up installed height, etc. I am also ready to degree a camshaft. You are welcome to get with me and come up on the days I am doing this stuff at the shop. Let me know. We get a lot of hci jobs in the shop, so if one comes up I will let you know.

dedpedal
06-07-2007, 12:44 AM
Ill be taking the boosted bitch to the track soon and probably popping another head gasket. When I do, Ill let you know and you can be my bitchboy when I pull the heads.

92coupe
06-07-2007, 12:49 AM
Ill be taking the boosted bitch to the track soon and probably popping another head gasket. When I do, Ill let you know and you can be my bitchboy when I pull the heads.

That's awful nice of you Kev. :lol:

dedpedal
06-07-2007, 12:56 AM
That's awful nice of you Kev. :lol:
I thought so.....

5.0calypso93lx
06-07-2007, 08:48 AM
I am getting ready to put valve springs on and set up installed height, etc. I am also ready to degree a camshaft. You are welcome to get with me and come up on the days I am doing this stuff at the shop. Let me know. We get a lot of hci jobs in the shop, so if one comes up I will let you know.

That would be AWESOME. Problem is I work 8-5, monday-friday.

You have a pm.

5.0calypso93lx
06-07-2007, 08:57 AM

Gee thanks! Wait a minute, if you're popping head gaskets, should you be showing me how to do this??? Haha j/k.:D

5.0calypso93lx
07-01-2007, 03:20 PM
TTT, still would like to help some people out with this.