PDA

View Full Version : Help!! How do I remove Polishing Compound ?????

Katmandu
06-01-2007, 07:42 PM
Just had a disaster with my car's finish. Like a dumb azz, I foolishly took it thru a local automated car wash. Not the kind with that scrubs the car with rollers or those long strips of cloth, but the kind that goes around the car spraying it.

After I got home, I saw the damn car wash had severely OXIDIZED my car's paint job! :cussin: :cussin: :cussin: :cussin: :cussin: :cussin:

I'm not sure why this happened, but I suspect my car's clear coat finish "may" be worn off and the car wash chemicals reacted with the base coat paint. I dunno fuggin know at this point. :confused: :confused:

Anyways, I knew it needed rubbed back out and for some reason, I chose to use Turtle Wax Polishing Compound.

Now that the TWPC is DRY'd, I'm having an very hard time removing it from my car's finish! :cussin: Also, the TWPC is not bringing out my car's shine.

How the heck do I get this crap off my car and restore the finish ???

Sparky
06-02-2007, 09:09 AM
Try a wax&grease remover. You might find it at the parts store, if not go to an auto paint store. If a car wash bleached out your paint that badly....you might not have a clearcoated paint job. When you rub on the car, does the rag have color on it? I have never liked anything made by turtle wax, except their old chrome polish. It's like waxing a car with modeling clay. If your car has a single stage paint on it, try a color restoring wax. Meguiar's has a good one for about 8 bucks, and (I know what I just said but it kinda works) turtle wax has one too. The ultimate thing to do would be to buff the oxidation out of it. But, if I was doing it myself and wanted to hand rub it out I would try the Meguiar's or Zymol. If you try Zymol, READ THE DIRECTIONS.....it does not go on or come off like the other brands. It is an awesome, night and day difference,long lasting wax. You might work your ass off with it, but it would be my choice. The Zymol would be my choice also if your car has a clearcoated paint job.

Katmandu
06-02-2007, 09:22 AM
If a car wash bleached out your paint that badly....you might not have a clearcoated paint job. When you rub on the car, does the rag have color on it? Yes it does.

I bought it last year, so I don't know the history of the paint on it.

Is it possible there WAS a clearcoat on it and it was rubbed off (over the years) ?

Also, is it possible to have a clearcoat sprayed over it again ?

Katmandu
06-02-2007, 09:24 AM
BTW, here's some pics of it a few months ago.

http://www.katmanduonline.net/albums/My91GTVert/

http://www.katmanduonline.net/albums/My91GTVert/photos/photo4.jpg

08 Vette
06-02-2007, 09:44 AM
Love your car! Use Dawn to remove the old and new wax, it won't hurt your finish!
Call a body shop and ask them if they have any ideas. If they Don't or won't help you let me know, I have a few buddys that will have the answers you seek.:)

331TwistedWedge
06-02-2007, 09:52 AM
3M Products ...... You have to go to a paint store ... KOI has it around here ... A bit pricey, but not too bad ... Its worth it :bigthumb

Sparky
06-02-2007, 03:39 PM
To my knowledge, Ford used single stage paint on all of their solid colors on the fox bodies. It would be impossible to rub the clear off that evenly without burning through to the sealer. LR 01 Cobra has a good idea too, Dawn does an excellent job of stripping wax. If it is oxidized too badly, you will have to buff it back up with some good polish. I don't recommend using an actual rubbing compound, your paint might be too thin as it is. There's a chance you will burn through in some places. If you can find a good detail shop, or someone that uses Car -Brite detailing products, they have something called Phaze Glaze. I have used this stuff religiously to bring back paint from the dead. Rub it in with a buffer using a wool pad , and wax right after. It should make that red paint glow. Whatever you end up doing, keeping a good coat of wax on the car will keep this from happening again. I wax my stuff every other time I wash . The two waxes I recommended in my first response will do the best job for maintaining shine as well. If you do find a place to get Car -Brite stuff, they also have a good paste wax called Easy Off. I have seen it bead water after 6 washes. It really seems to like the Phaze Glaze too. I hope you get 'er straightened out.

Katmandu
06-02-2007, 05:45 PM
Roger that.

I'm heading out to Advance Auto right now to see what they have.

I'll report back with the results. :HYF:

Katmandu
06-02-2007, 11:22 PM
Well I picked up some Dawn and some Maguier's Polish and Wax.

I headed over to a local pressure wash car wash (Manual!) and hosed my car down. This alone took off alot of the old Polishing Compound. I followed it up with a hand bathing with Dawn soap.

I just started with the Maguier's Polish and it appears to be bring out the shine once again! :bigthumb Only did the trunk lid and the RR 1/4 panel, so I still have ALOT to do.

I'm going to finish it up with the Maguier's wax to protect all my work! :eek:

I appreciate the input you folks gave! :bigthumb

08 Vette
06-03-2007, 08:11 AM
Glad to see it's working out for you!:bigthumb