PDA

View Full Version : POS wont start now

Ryan218
06-01-2007, 08:17 PM
ok i have no idea what the **** is going on...drive down the that gas station put 40 in gas in it.(premium) and drive it home..on the way there it was bucking like a wild bronco...its got nonthing in it..slower then a mother****in model t..get it home...pull in drive way..it dies...starts smoking real bad from where something was dripping on the h-pipe..(oil i think)...im at a loss...i cant pull codes and cant drive the car anywhere and we have no truck big enough to pull a car this size or a trailer anymore...

any ideas?

YouGotJunk
06-01-2007, 09:04 PM
is this your new project vert your talking about??

Ryan218
06-01-2007, 09:59 PM
is this your new project vert your talking about??

yes...i should of waited longer and bought one more sound in the engine department...that or bought one that was carburated...fuel injection owns me...to many dang wires... :( it either getting to much fuel ot not enough...i have no idea how to change this..or the air/fuel mixture is off...again no idea how to change this... or somthing bigger..

i got it to start..surging idel from 500 to 750 and back and fourth...hell i dont know...stupid me...thought this would be a quick fix...throw a new set of injections a fuel pump set that time and i would be good and then be back for paint by now...

no i saw the 5.0 and jumped on the chance to get one...this after i bought this a few others that were cheaper and in better shape started popping up...

i know it a project in all and that's what i wanted...but my dad has made this miserable for me..thought a father son project would be good for us...guess not....:doh:

btw...40 bucks for 11 gallons of gas is bull shit..

Pops Fun
06-01-2007, 10:28 PM
I would recheck all the vacuum connections, I had trouble like that when I started mine last time..

Pops

Ryan218
06-01-2007, 10:52 PM
I would recheck all the vacuum connections, I had trouble like that when I started mine last time..

Pops

i looked over them all..checked for cracks... ect..i replaced alot of them when i swapped injectors

Ryan218
06-01-2007, 11:23 PM
i looked over them all..checked for cracks... ect..i replaced alot of them when i swapped injectors

ill double check them..

Stangman
06-01-2007, 11:35 PM
whats your fuel pressure??

Ryan218
06-01-2007, 11:36 PM
whats your fuel pressure??

i dont know... i need to get a gauge... :mad: maybe that is what ill do saturday.....

but what should fuel pressure be at?

Stangman
06-01-2007, 11:41 PM
someone correct me if i am wrong, but u should get 35psi at idle and like 40 or so on the gas... someone told me to take the vacuum hose off the regulator and see if its sucking up fuel, if it is, replace the regulator. also, dont waste your time and 40 bucks on a pressure check guage, go buy an on the rail autometer gauge for like 25 bucks, well worth it, you can tell your pressure at ANY time just by lifting the hood.

Ryan218
06-01-2007, 11:46 PM
someone correct me if i am wrong, but u should get 35psi at idle and like 40 or so on the gas... someone told me to take the vacuum hose off the regulator and see if its sucking up fuel, if it is, replace the regulator. also, dont waste your time and 40 bucks on a pressure check guage, go buy an on the rail autometer gauge for like 25 bucks, well worth it, you can tell your pressure at ANY time just by lifting the hood.

then all i got to do is pull the upper intake off again and instal that on the rail and then all back together and start it and see what it says?

if it reads low then what? i replaced injectors already?

RACEME
06-02-2007, 05:38 AM
The injectors don't have much to do with fuel pressure unless one is stuck wide open. If it is low, then you need to trace it backwards. It would be one of 3 possibilities that I can think of this early after only one cup of java.

1. weak/bad fuel pump
2. bad/dirty/backwards fuel filter
3. the fuel line is crushed someplace.

Sparky
06-02-2007, 09:15 AM
Is the engine light on? If it is, you can pull the code with a test light, as long as its EEC-IV

Stangman
06-02-2007, 11:24 AM
then all i got to do is pull the upper intake off again and instal that on the rail and then all back together and start it and see what it says?

if it reads low then what? i replaced injectors already?

Its been a while since i worked on my deceased foxbody but i dont think u have to pull the upper intake off, there SHOULD be a schrader valve on the rail probably close to where the fuel lines meet the rail.... i think... if not i believe there is a valve on the lines that are coming up thru the engine bay, right near the motor.... but again, its been a long time...

Ryan218
06-02-2007, 11:47 AM
The injectors don't have much to do with fuel pressure unless one is stuck wide open. If it is low, then you need to trace it backwards. It would be one of 3 possibilities that I can think of this early after only one cup of java.

1. weak/bad fuel pump
2. bad/dirty/backwards fuel filter
3. the fuel line is crushed someplace.

fuel filter is on the right way...fuel pump i belive is fine :confused:

Is the engine light on? If it is, you can pull the code with a test light, as long as its EEC-IV

no lights not on

Its been a while since i worked on my deceased foxbody but i dont think u have to pull the upper intake off, there SHOULD be a schrader valve on the rail probably close to where the fuel lines meet the rail.... i think... if not i believe there is a valve on the lines that are coming up thru the engine bay, right near the motor.... but again, its been a long time...

ok

RACEME
06-02-2007, 11:57 AM
Go to autozone and do their free tool rental for a fuel pressure gauge/tester. That thing just screws on at the schrader valve on your fuel rail. Turn the key to the on position and it should go up to 35-45 psi +/-. You also want to moniter how fast the pressure bleeds off. The pressure will bleed off in several minutes, but not real fast.

Ryan218
06-02-2007, 12:40 PM
Go to autozone and do their free tool rental for a fuel pressure gauge/tester. That thing just screws on at the schrader valve on your fuel rail. Turn the key to the on position and it should go up to 35-45 psi +/-. You also want to moniter how fast the pressure bleeds off. The pressure will bleed off in several minutes, but not real fast.

? ok...

RACEME
06-02-2007, 12:44 PM
The schrader valve is the thingy that looks like the air valve for putting air into tires. It is on the fuel rail that the injectors plug into. There is usually a plastic cap on it. This is just like checking air in a tire except it is checking fuel pressure in the line.

Am I helping any?

Here is a picture of my 94/95 fuel rails. The schrader valve is circled.

dedpedal
06-02-2007, 12:51 PM
on the 86, the schrader is on the rail, for 87-93 its on the line from the chassis to the rail, behind the alternator.

Ryan218
06-02-2007, 01:03 PM
on the 86, the schrader is on the rail, for 87-93 its on the line from the chassis to the rail, behind the alternator.

yup i see what you guys are talking about...

Ryan218
06-02-2007, 01:07 PM

called them...they dont rent them anymore...if i buy a fuel pressure gauge dose it install into the schrafer valve?

dedpedal
06-02-2007, 01:30 PM
you need the fitting to adapt the gauge to the schrader, but first, you need to take the valve itself off the line. it threads in and can be removed with 2 wrenches. Dont just crank on the shrader as you can bend the line. Dont forget the teflon tape or pipe dope to seal the threads.

Ryan218
06-02-2007, 01:31 PM
you need the fitting to adapt the gauge to the schrader, but first, you need to take the valve itself off the line. it threads in and can be removed with 2 wrenches. Dont just crank on the shrader as you can bend the line. Dont forget the teflon tape or pipe dope to seal the threads.

what fitting is this?

dedpedal
06-02-2007, 01:37 PM
what fitting is this?

When you put a gauge on the line, you need an adapter that threads into the line where you removed the shrader valve. This fitting has female threads on the other side for the gauge to thread into.

Ryan218
06-02-2007, 01:42 PM
When you put a gauge on the line, you need an adapter that threads into the line where you removed the shrader valve. This fitting has female threads on the other side for the gauge to thread into.

ok so need a new fitting to thread into the fuel line that threads onto the fuel gauge?

sorry..i know im a pain in the ass to deal with..

dedpedal
06-02-2007, 01:59 PM
that is correct. I think the gauge is around 30 bucks and the fitting is about 10

Ryan218
06-02-2007, 02:02 PM
ok...

Ryan218
06-02-2007, 04:22 PM
its holding under 5psi..when you start it it is barley holding 10...on my dads is holding 50 and while his is running its holding close to 60...

its got to be the fuel pump to be holding that low...

back up on jackstands it gose...and to think..after there is a full tank of gas in it:mad:

Foxxx5oh
06-02-2007, 05:14 PM
check your fuel filter, you might have kicked up some junk in it and it could be blocking fuel flow...i know thats a hell of a lot easier than dropping a full tank...lol

Ryan218
06-02-2007, 05:27 PM
check your fuel filter, you might have kicked up some junk in it and it could be blocking fuel flow...i know thats a hell of a lot easier than dropping a full tank...lol

i cant get to the fuel filter without the tank being dropped...droping hte tank aint bad...its getting the gas out that takes the longest....

dedpedal
06-02-2007, 05:49 PM
The filter is in front of the tank. Its held in by a big worm clamp and hair pin clips on the line. If it is old looking, replace that first.

Ryan218
06-02-2007, 05:53 PM
tank out...off to get new fuel pump

5.0calypso93lx
06-02-2007, 07:12 PM
i cant get to the fuel filter without the tank being dropped...droping hte tank aint bad...its getting the gas out that takes the longest....

you might have replaced the wrong thing then, because the fuel filter is a 5 minute fix, and you do not have to drop the tank.

Ryan218
06-02-2007, 08:03 PM
got the new fuel pump in and started the car holds idle has no miss anymore..in other words..runs like a 5.0 should now...can revv the hell out of it...even lay some rubber with it now :D ...when we got it home after driving around the block real quick we shut it off and then went to start it 5 mins later and no go...it just clicks...i think the ignition switch crapped out on me :mad: like it did on my 83 and my t-bird...if it ain't one thing its another i guess :lol:

but we got the biggest problem fixxed now so that makes me happy...

5.0calypso93lx hey...your really good with brakes right? you know anything about the brake light switches on the fox?

Stangman
06-03-2007, 11:35 AM
hey it runs, awesome, i bet that the starter solenoid on the fender crapped out on you. if it wont start and u hear a clicking noise, see if it is coming from the solenoid, if it is, turn the key to the on position and get a WOODEN handle screwdriver and jump the two large terminals and see if it fires, then go buy you a nice new 17 dollar starter solenoid....

Ryan218
06-03-2007, 12:35 PM
hey it runs, awesome, i bet that the starter solenoid on the fender crapped out on you. if it wont start and u hear a clicking noise, see if it is coming from the solenoid, if it is, turn the key to the on position and get a WOODEN handle screwdriver and jump the two large terminals and see if it fires, then go buy you a nice new 17 dollar starter solenoid....

yeah replaced the starter soleniod and that wasent it...thought it was the ignition switch...that wasent it...im just going to wire in a push button start...that way i dont have to trace wires and everything..

but yeah..runs great...

Stangman
06-03-2007, 12:37 PM
where are you hearing the click?

Timido
06-03-2007, 04:58 PM
Dont just throw parts at it. See how checking the fuel pressure helped by showing that the car had a fuel pressure problem and then replace the pump. Same with the no start get out a volt meter or a test light with a wiring diagram and figure out the problem and replace the part that is bad. You save money in the long run.

Ryan218
06-03-2007, 08:11 PM
where are you hearing the click?

under the dash...drivers side....

5.0calypso93lx
06-03-2007, 10:07 PM
got the new fuel pump in and started the car holds idle has no miss anymore..in other words..runs like a 5.0 should now...can revv the hell out of it...even lay some rubber with it now :D ...when we got it home after driving around the block real quick we shut it off and then went to start it 5 mins later and no go...it just clicks...i think the ignition switch crapped out on me :mad: like it did on my 83 and my t-bird...if it ain't one thing its another i guess :lol:

but we got the biggest problem fixxed now so that makes me happy...

5.0calypso93lx hey...your really good with brakes right? you know anything about the brake light switches on the fox?

Sorry, luckily my brake lights worked, so I never even had to mess with them.