PDA

View Full Version : SN95 timing problem

89notch
06-02-2007, 12:43 PM
my little brotgher picked up a 95 cobra and when we picked it up it was detonating under full throttle. The guy we bought it from said he put 87 in it on the way to deliver it to us. Well we ran that out put 94 in it and still detonates the same as before. I check the timing and it only has 8 degrees base timing in it so I'm assuming this is why they sold the car. I have always heard the computers in these cars are junk and its best to convert them to 89-93 a9l's. Has anyone else had this problem on these cars? I'm thinking I will just pull the spout and set full advance timing at like 26 and seeing if that fixes it.

Thanks Kelly

Timido
06-02-2007, 12:52 PM
Carbon knock?

Paul408Notch
06-02-2007, 01:40 PM
I've heard the exact same thing numerous times about the computers in those. I think they're the T4M0 or something. Out here where you can't get better than 91 octane at the pump, and it's some shitty blend in the summers, those computers are REALLY bad. From what I've heard, it's pretty easy to convert to an A9L, and you just have to switch a few pins around in the harness.

Aside from being heavier, I think the computer is one of the only drawbacks to having an SN95 over a fox.

95vertstang
06-02-2007, 05:31 PM
dont andvance it to 26 degrees 12 is the highest i think you can take the 94 95's but i have had the same problem in mine with the detonation at full throttle it comes and goes with mine i dont know what it is though

Paul408Notch
06-02-2007, 05:38 PM
dont andvance it to 26 degrees 12 is the highest i think you can take the 94 95's but i have had the same problem in mine with the detonation at full throttle it comes and goes with mine i dont know what it is though

If you leave the spout out, it locks the timing across the board at whatever you set it at. With the spout in, the computer will advance the timing to whatever it's programmed to in addition to the 10 or 12 degrees you give it initially.

kennebellcobra
06-02-2007, 09:26 PM
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=843291&highlight=pinging
I would also make sure the balancer hasn't spun. I still run a stock computer and works great after KenB tuned it:D