PDA

View Full Version : Trunk Mount Battery Box Kit ... Good Idea?

331TwistedWedge
06-03-2007, 09:01 PM
Thinking about getting the optima battery relocated to the trunk ... I would love to have the 38lbs over the passenger rear wheel and off the nose ...

~ What is a good kit thats out there? ... I had a kit 4 years ago from summit and my car wouldn't start half the time, granite i wasn't using the red top optima battery that i have now ...

~ Some people are running 2 ground (negative) wires, well from what i've read on other forums?

~ Is this a good idea to do, or will i have starting issues (20 ft of 2 gauge wire) ... do i need to double ground? ...

~ What Battery Box Kit brands are you guys running?

Thanks for any info ......... :bigthumb

Carl
06-03-2007, 09:12 PM
I have a Taylor kit that used to be in the GT, now it is waiting to be installed in the coupe.

I had mine grounded right when it came out of the box but with my new install I am going to run the ground all the way back to the block.

331TwistedWedge
06-03-2007, 09:15 PM
I have a Taylor kit that used to be in the GT, now it is waiting to be installed in the coupe.

I had mine grounded right when it came out of the box but with my new install I am going to run the ground all the way back to the block.

ok ... one of the kits im reading about right now only gives you 3 feet of negative wire ... i was thinking about grounding it to the frame ...

i've been through this rear mount relocation and it was a nightmare, i just want the battery over the wheels and off the nose ... i've seen some people with no issues at all - so give me some good feedback, lol ...

quik lx
06-03-2007, 09:21 PM
I"ve put about 10 of these in. Moroso's vented box is the easiest (plastic case) and cleanest looking. As long as you clean the area that your bolting the negative battery cable to bare metal...and making sure your engine to chassis grounding cables on the back of the heads are in good shape...you'll never have any trouble. You still need that wiring done?

Blowpastyou
06-03-2007, 09:46 PM
I ran the 0 gauge ground from the battery to the quad shock mount. and it kept blowing starter solenoids, when it wasnt blowing starter solenoids it was struggling to crank. And im using 0 gauge for the power wire. so I ran another 2 gauge ground to the block too... and its good to go. I have a taylor kit with an optima and it looks good.

331TwistedWedge
06-03-2007, 09:53 PM
I"ve put about 10 of these in. Moroso's vented box is the easiest (plastic case) and cleanest looking. As long as you clean the area that your bolting the negative battery cable to bare metal...and making sure your engine to chassis grounding cables on the back of the heads are in good shape...you'll never have any trouble. You still need that wiring done?

thanks joe, sounds like im getting the moroso kit ... yes i cleaned the ground area very well the last time i did this ... i will buy the kit and give it hell ... where is a good spot to mount the box? ... i hit a rubber fuel line last time and i thought it was in a safe place to mount it - wrong :HYF: had to drop the tank and fix that issue - And yes i would like my engine compartment rewired one day, but i want to get my k-member and new horsepower parts in first ... i will pm you about a good time to do this ... thanks ...

I ran the 0 gauge ground from the battery to the quad shock mount. and it kept blowing starter solenoids, when it wasnt blowing starter solenoids it was struggling to crank. And im using 0 gauge for the power wire. so I ran another 2 gauge ground to the block too... and its good to go. I have a taylor kit with an optima and it looks good.

i just spoke with jeff88coupe about the 0 - 1 - 2 gauge wires ... he said find some welding/welders wire 0-1 gauge ... maybe i had issues last time because of the 2 gauge :confused: i will just get the kit and figure it out before the next UMTR, hopefully ... thanks to you guys for the info! :bigthumb

5.0calypso93lx
06-03-2007, 10:29 PM
Ricky, not sure if you have seen it yet, but you can go to the junkyard and buy a license plate bracket off a caprice, so you can hide your on and off switch, to complete the package. Looks awesome and sleeper.

Not sure if you are a member on corral, but this is everything you need to know:

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=887666&highlight=battery+relocation

Joe, If I ever get some money saved up and buy a nice battery relocation kit, I'm gonna give you a call and see if you wanna install the kit and hide my engine bay wiring.

331TwistedWedge
06-03-2007, 10:47 PM
Ricky, not sure if you have seen it yet, but you can go to the junkyard and buy a license plate bracket off a caprice, so you can hide your on and off switch, to complete the package. Looks awesome and sleeper.

Not sure if you are a member on corral, but this is everything you need to know:

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=887666&highlight=battery+relocation

Joe, If I ever get some money saved up and buy a nice battery relocation kit, I'm gonna give you a call and see if you wanna install the kit and hide my engine bay wiring.

thats a slick set up that kevins89notch5.0 did ... flip down tag ... sweet :bigthumb

331TwistedWedge
06-03-2007, 10:57 PM
this basically sounds like a big pain in the ass ... battery box - moroso $96.88 ~ 1 gauge wiring (because 2 gauge wont work) $64.99 to $96.88 ~ Battery Disconnect Kit $50.00 - $78.88 and a vent tube to stay legal ... i see a bunch of holes in my coupe and possibly $300.00 just to move 38lbs to the trunk ... screw this, lmao ... im keeping that bitch up front ...

or i could spend $69.95 on the summit kit (plastic box) (2 gauge wiring) and have starting issues ... this doesn't include the battery disconnect or vent tube ... i wouldn't be NHRA legal - not that the techs at E20 or Tri-bumps would care ...

Jeff88coupe
06-04-2007, 06:41 AM
Could always get you a dynabatt....it's a smaller ~15lb dry cell 12V battery that you can mount up front in the stock location. I ran one for a few years in my f/s car...then Kevin ran it for a few more. It it good enough to start your car a few times...but don't leave an electric fan/bottle heater on in the pits...it will be dead in no time. It worked well for me..saved me about 20lb's off the nose.

Jeff88coupe
06-04-2007, 06:41 AM
Could always get you a dynabatt....it's a smaller ~15lb dry cell 12V battery that you can mount up front in the stock location. I ran one for a few years in my f/s car...then Kevin ran it for a few more. It it good enough to start your car a few times...but don't leave an electric fan/bottle heater on in the pits...it will be dead in no time. It worked well for me..saved me about 20lb's off the nose.

orangedemon331
06-04-2007, 07:35 AM
I had a kit from CincySpeed, I ran 1 extra ground from the motor mount to the sway bar mount, and the one from the battery to the quad shock mount and I had no problems at all!!!