PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this N/A combo??

5.0calypso93lx
06-05-2007, 04:07 PM
Hey guys. I've been doing a little research on an engine combo/top end combo for my car. I'm not going to list a horsepower/torque number because a)I don't want to limit myself, and b)I don't want to dissappoint myself, so whatever the combo makes, it makes. Here is what I have come up with so far, let me know what you guys think, whether it be agreement/criticism.

-My stock shortblock(save for cam), stock block, .030 over 306, with keith black hypers
-Trick Flow stage 1 cam, .499/.510, 221/225 @.050, and a 112 LSA, degreed
-Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads, with stud mounts, box stock
-Holley Sissymax Intake Manifold, box stock
-SCT BA2400 mass air meter
-Accufab 75mm tb and egr
-Crane gold, scorpion, or harland sharp 1.6's
-ARP head studs
-gaskets
-new push rods

quik lx
06-05-2007, 04:59 PM
I'd just add a 125 shot of spray and go mid 11's easy:D

85_SS_302_Coupe
06-05-2007, 05:29 PM
Well i know one experience doesn't necessarily speak about a company's reputation, but a friend of mine had 3 KB hyper pistons break after only about 2k miles, all N/A driving (no spray or anything) and not even so much as a launch on slicks.

I know money doesn't grow on trees but i would go with forged pistons if you can swing it. That's just cheap insurance in the long run for the life of your engine. Think about what a chunk of broken piston can do to an aluminum head..

cstreu1026
06-05-2007, 05:29 PM
Why not use the trick flow intake instead? I know rscoupe has had good luck with the TFS packages he has sold.

orangedemon331
06-05-2007, 05:40 PM
I think it sounds pretty good!!:bigthumb

Jeff88coupe
06-05-2007, 05:57 PM
If your gonna build a 306...buy decent forged pistons..like probe or SRP's. They are only a bit more than the KB hyperjunks. An since your not going to be limited on valve lift by stock pistons....put a real cam in. There are plenty of OTS cams that will give you a good bit more power than a tfs stage 1.

Timido
06-05-2007, 06:23 PM
112 lobe seperation is not much of an NA cam. Think 108-110 for an NA cam

orangedemon331
06-05-2007, 06:48 PM

Not on a stock computer, tight lob sep will make it not very friendly to drive, especially in a 5 speed!

JonS
06-05-2007, 07:03 PM
The Holley intake probably isn't your best bet on a NA 306, unless you have future plans. The trick flow intake would probably be a better choice.

PaulFiveOh
06-05-2007, 08:14 PM
Also, I noticed you talked about upgrading your meter....

....what about injectors to work with the meter?

I'm no expert but it sounds like your application calls for 24lb/hr injectors.

331TwistedWedge
06-05-2007, 09:53 PM
If your gonna build a 306...buy decent forged pistons..like probe or SRP's. They are only a bit more than the KB hyperjunks. An since your not going to be limited on valve lift by stock pistons....put a real cam in. There are plenty of OTS cams that will give you a good bit more power than a tfs stage 1.

they are correct, if you're not using stock pistons - i know a great cam that will match up with these parts ... its a custom grind, schneider ......... basically my setup, but you will have a 306 not a 331 ... the systemax intake flows better than the trick flow track heat (that i have) ...

19lb injectors should work up to 400 horsepower ... you could call MD and ask Ken some (instances) or (combos) with stock injectors ... i know yougotjunk ran 19's with his combo ((11.70's @ 115mph))

tim c
06-05-2007, 10:03 PM
I'd just add a 125 shot of spray and go mid 11's easy:D

:agree:

Jeff88coupe
06-05-2007, 10:39 PM
Not on a stock computer, tight lob sep will make it not very friendly to drive, especially in a 5 speed!

Humz..I ran a 110 and a 108 lobe seperation cam on my stock A9P computer just fine with a 5 speed. You can get away with a alot more cam with a 5 spd vs. an auto.

PaulFiveOh
06-05-2007, 11:20 PM
on my stock A9P.....
......more cam with a 5 spd .

I thought the 5spd was an A9L ?

Carl
06-06-2007, 12:14 AM
A9L is a 5 spd ecm, but Jeff ran a 5 spd with an A9P i believe.

And definitely get forged pistons! It is worth the extra time if you are saving up for it, don't cheap out and end up have to bebuild because of a failed piston.

ibstrokin
06-06-2007, 01:10 AM
I think your combo sounds fine. It seems your building more of a cruiser than a racecar,which makes your choices fine, very driveable. But, one thing to consider is switching to a windsor, If you still have to buy all of these parts, it won't cost much more to do a windsor, more power, more torque,more stength, and just as driveable and reliable. Many guys that run windsors can run 11's with mild h/c/i, and 10's with more aggressive parts, and still get decent fuel economy and great reliability.

5.0calypso93lx
06-06-2007, 08:50 AM

Jeff, I'm going to be using the current short block that is in my car right now, and that is the 306 with kb hypers. I'm just looking to do a top end right now.

I'm not sure what kind of valve reliefs these pistons have in them, if any at all, so I don't want to go with too big of a cam right now. Pretty much all I know about them is that they are KB hypers.

5.0calypso93lx
06-06-2007, 08:53 AM
I think your combo sounds fine. It seems your building more of a cruiser than a racecar,which makes your choices fine, very driveable. But, one thing to consider is switching to a windsor, If you still have to buy all of these parts, it won't cost much more to do a windsor, more power, more torque,more stength, and just as driveable and reliable. Many guys that run windsors can run 11's with mild h/c/i, and 10's with more aggressive parts, and still get decent fuel economy and great reliability.

Thats actually exactly my plan down the road, is to go 408.

Jeff88coupe
06-06-2007, 01:33 PM
Jeff, I'm going to be using the current short block that is in my car right now, and that is the 306 with kb hypers. I'm just looking to do a top end right now.

I'm not sure what kind of valve reliefs these pistons have in them, if any at all, so I don't want to go with too big of a cam right now. Pretty much all I know about them is that they are KB hypers.

Ah..I c...use what you have then. You can always measure your piston to valve clearance with the trickflow heads...then get a cam that will fit. You should be able to make 300hp/300+tq at the wheels with a very streetable combo.

331TwistedWedge
06-06-2007, 01:40 PM
Thats actually exactly my plan down the road, is to go 408.

I would have fun with what you have ... you're pulling almost 100 mph in the 1/4 ... do some suspension work (which you will need done anyway) and get some traction - you might end up hitting a good low 13 ... i did with a stock gt 13.05 @ 105 ... save your money and do your combo one time ~ 393 / 408 / 427 + (dart block) ... if i had to do things over again, i would have went with some cubic inches ... a semi aggressive 351W stroked out should put you in the 10's ... save your $$$ and do this one time!

5.0calypso93lx
06-06-2007, 02:12 PM
Ah..I c...use what you have then. You can always measure your piston to valve clearance with the trickflow heads...then get a cam that will fit. You should be able to make 300hp/300+tq at the wheels with a very streetable combo.

Yes, I will definately be claying the pistons to see how much room I have. I would love to go with a bigger cam, after hearing mustangmikes trick flow stage 3 :drool:

What's the minimum amount of room I need for ptv clearance?

5.0calypso93lx
06-06-2007, 02:21 PM
I would have fun with what you have ... you're pulling almost 100 mph in the 1/4 ... do some suspension work (which you will need done anyway) and get some traction - you might end up hitting a good low 13 ... i did with a stock gt 13.05 @ 105 ... save your money and do your combo one time ~ 393 / 408 / 427 + (dart block) ... if i had to do things over again, i would have went with some cubic inches ... a semi aggressive 351W stroked out should put you in the 10's ... save your $$$ and do this one time!

Ricky the 306 is whats in my car right now, so its not like I'm spending any more money on a combo. My dad traded some body work for this motor, so I don't even have anything in it. I just need to get some tires. I do NOT want a drag suspension at all.

I did find out though that I was only running 7 degrees timing when I went to the track, I forgot to set the timing again after I pulled the dizzy :HYF: So fst 5pto set it for me to 14 last night, and the car runs SOOO much better. I was having major issues with throttle response and that has been taken care of completely. I'm gonna take the car back to the track as is, and see if I can't get a 13 and 100+ traps.

331TwistedWedge
06-06-2007, 02:48 PM
Ricky the 306 is whats in my car right now, so its not like I'm spending any more money on a combo. My dad traded some body work for this motor, so I don't even have anything in it. I just need to get some tires. I do NOT want a drag suspension at all.

I did find out though that I was only running 7 degrees timing when I went to the track, I forgot to set the timing again after I pulled the dizzy :HYF: So fst 5pto set it for me to 14 last night, and the car runs SOOO much better. I was having major issues with throttle response and that has been taken care of completely. I'm gonna take the car back to the track as is, and see if I can't get a 13 and 100+ traps.

7 degrees to 14, you should see a big difference ... 2-3 mph or so ...

the drag suspension, well i said the same thing years ago :lol: look at me today ... coil overs 150's, 90/10's, uppers / lowers, mac rears & subframes - but slammed!!! ... probably a cage one day ... its amazing what the 1320 will do to you and your car :cool2:

5.0calypso93lx
06-06-2007, 03:07 PM
7 degrees to 14, you should see a big difference ... 2-3 mph or so ...

the drag suspension, well i said the same thing years ago :lol: look at me today ... coil overs 150's, 90/10's, uppers / lowers, mac rears & subframes - but slammed!!! ... probably a cage one day ... its amazing what the 1320 will do to you and your car :cool2:

Man I hope so, this thing feels like an entire new car :lol: I just don't want it to turn into a one dimensional car. It handles pretty damn good right now, and stops even better.

I apologize, I should have listed in my original post that the 306 w/ kb hypers is my current engine, and that I'm just looking to do H/C/I.

dedpedal
06-06-2007, 11:28 PM
I went 12.oos with a stock 302 inch shortblock, unported TFS heads, track heat int and a custom grind PS cam. It made 313/321 on the dyno right after a full pass. It was plenty streetable with a 5 speed and even more so with an aod.

331TwistedWedge
06-06-2007, 11:44 PM
All I have is the trick flow package on a 331 ... custom cam (schneider) ... 350/356 dyno numbers ... very streetable! ... 11.55 @117 is my best ... i think it has 11.40's in it, if i can get it hooking this year (110 lbs lighter) ...

dedpedal
06-07-2007, 12:07 AM
Ricky, from the way things sound, the only way YOU and HOOKING will be mentioned is if you are in front of a judge, fighting a solicitation charge.

331TwistedWedge
06-07-2007, 12:18 AM
Ricky, from the way things sound, the only way YOU and HOOKING will be mentioned is if you are in front of a judge, fighting a solicitation charge.

lol ... i think you're right ... well i think im going to take a trip over jeffs house and have him measure up my pinion angle ~ this is the only thing it can be :confused: maybe its time for some adjustable uppers ... i did manage a few 1.68's & 1.69's on test n tune last friday, so im making progress towards the 1.5x's i was at last year ...

~ but i am proud to say and i mean this, i have never paid for sex :lol: :lol: :lol: ...

dedpedal
06-07-2007, 12:25 AM
lol ... i think you're right ... well i think im going to take a trip over jeffs house and have him measure up my pinion angle ~ this is the only thing it can be :confused: maybe its time for some adjustable uppers ... i did manage a few 1.68's & 1.69's on test n tune last friday, so im making progress towards the 1.5x's i was at last year ...

~ but i am proud to say and i mean this, i have never paid for sex :lol: :lol: :lol: ...

Pinion angle is the world with launching. If you need a set of adjustables, I have some. LMK.
If you never paid for sex, youre still a virgin.

331TwistedWedge
06-07-2007, 12:57 AM
Pinion angle is the world with launching. If you need a set of adjustables, I have some. LMK.
If you never paid for sex, youre still a virgin.

I may take you up on that ...

Im still a virgin then ... :D

dedpedal
06-07-2007, 01:01 AM
You paid, one way or another.

85_SS_302_Coupe
06-07-2007, 09:38 AM
You paid, one way or another.

There's no such thing as free sex :lol: