PDA

View Full Version : Stock Brakes (Weight)Vs. Strange Brakes

Silver Bullet
06-06-2007, 07:58 PM
I know Strange says their front brakes weight is 33lbs and the backs like 23lbs.. Anyone know the weight of a stock foxbody brake system front and drums in the rear.... just wondering how much weight I will be saved.

Paul408Notch
06-06-2007, 08:28 PM
I don't know the actual weight, but if you saved more than 20 pounds in total I'd be surprised.

Sharad
06-06-2007, 08:41 PM
I never weighed them, but I've had both, and the strange brakes are LIGHT!!! Ten pounds less per side does not sound unreasonable.

Jeff88coupe
06-06-2007, 09:20 PM
I figure all together..front and rears you will loose ~40-45lb swapping to the strange brakes.

Silver Bullet
06-06-2007, 09:30 PM
I figure all together..front and rears you will loose ~40-45lb swapping to the strange brakes.

That is what I was est.. By the time I get skinnies and get rid of the big rims, maybe I can loose another 40lbs of rotational weight......

I would like to get the car down to 3,000 lbs..

It used to weigh 3375 with me in it, if I remember correctly.

quik lx
06-06-2007, 09:34 PM
you got a tranny yet?,,,I wanna see wheelies!:D

Silver Bullet
06-06-2007, 09:52 PM
you got a tranny yet?,,,I wanna see wheelies!:D

Nope... not yet. I know how I am.... I knew to get the brakes first, because If I got the tranny I would be at the track trying to stop on STOCK BRAKES..... EEEEEKKKKKKKK:eek:

It is the only thing I need now. I'm starting shopping for a tranny.... just got a price on a TCI Pro X Powerglide.

Paul408Notch
06-06-2007, 10:58 PM
I must not be thinking of the right ones if these things are that light. :eek:

Maximus
06-06-2007, 11:27 PM
It is the only thing I need now. I'm starting shopping for a tranny.... just got a price on a TCI Pro X Powerglide.

How much and from whom?

Sharad
06-07-2007, 12:31 AM
I must not be thinking of the right ones if these things are that light. :eek:

Well, the Strange brake rotors are not vented so the rotors themselves are much lighter than stock. The caliper is also pretty compact. In the back, it's probably not as big a difference from the strange brakes to factory disk brakes, but I'd say there's a sizable difference between the strange brakes and the factory drums.

Maximus
06-07-2007, 02:06 AM
Those Fuckers will stop your ass from 143 to 0 in less than the first turn off at Kil-Kare:HYF:

331TwistedWedge
06-07-2007, 02:07 AM
im following this party ... you're killing me tonight ... :wstupid:

Paul408Notch
06-07-2007, 02:26 AM
ohhhhhhh.... I forgot all about those things. Yeah, those are some light rotors.

5.0calypso93lx
06-07-2007, 08:39 AM
I don't know the actual weight, but if you saved more than 20 pounds in total I'd be surprised.

You save 9 pounds alone, per side, by just going with an aluminum PBR caliper.

Silver Bullet
06-07-2007, 11:29 AM
Well I picked up the kit from Craig today.... THANKS ONCE AGAIN. Good doing business with a friend. Looks like a nice quality kit, not to hard.

Then I got home to find one of those Brown trucks made a delivery!:D

All the brake lines, fittings, mastercylinder, linelok, and a bunch of misc. parts sitting on my door step.. it looks a little more complicated. LOL:rolleyes:

Looks like I will have to throw a BEER AND BRAKE PARTY! LOL (BTW, does those two really go together?):HYF:

P.S. someone bring a scale and we can get the right answer to the first question.lol

orangedemon331
06-07-2007, 11:34 AM
They are really easy to put on, the hardest thing is shiming the caliper to make sure it is centered!! I put them on mine ans Johnny K's car without any problems!!

Silver Bullet
06-07-2007, 11:46 AM
They are really easy to put on, the hardest thing is shiming the caliper to make sure it is centered!! I put them on mine ans Johnny K's car without any problems!!

Hey, did I tell you, your invited to the party!:D

Silver Bullet
06-11-2007, 11:10 AM

When you made sure they was centered, did you do it by eye or measure?

5.0calypso93lx
06-11-2007, 02:22 PM
When you made sure they was centered, did you do it by eye or measure?

Mount the caliper and rotor, and tighten the caliper bolts. Put all four lug nuts on, and tighten them to spec so the rotor is where it would be if the wheel was on. Then look on both sides of the rotor and square it up as best you can within the caliper. This will determine where you need shims and how thick of shims you need, if any at all. I would try to make it as centered as you can, just by looking at it. If you want to be really anal you can measure it.

Is this for the front or the rear? If its on the rear, I have heard of some guys with older differentials, that the axles actually move back and forth, and cause clearnace issues between the caliper bracket and rotor.

Silver Bullet
07-08-2007, 09:13 PM
Well I weighed everything tonight..... here is the savings:

Front breaks..... 33lbs lighter
Rear Drums....... 10lbs savings
Total savings.... 43lbs.

Additional:

Front sway bar.... 22lbs
Heater box under dash... 21lbs