PDA

View Full Version : Nike Air Max 180s

Sharad
06-06-2007, 10:29 PM
Full text and detailed pictures at:

http://blog.myspace.com/sraldiris

I'm done with Nike.

31 years old, and this is the end... (sounds dramatic, doesn't it? )

For as long as I can remember, I've loved Nike shoes! I can remember school shopping when I was a little kid. I never really gave a crap about clothes. My favorite part about school shopping was buying new shoes. We didn't have a whole lot of money back then, so I really needed to make my shoes last for a year... Every year at the end of summer, we'd go out shopping. Buying a fresh pair of Nikes was always a big deal. I remember in junior high when my friend Yong Bakos got a pair of Andre Agassi inspired Nikes. I lusted after those shoes! (it was legal... I hadn't become a Christian yet ) When the price came down on them, I got a pair. Loved em.

When I got older and started paying for my own shoes, my taste became more expensive. Airs, Shox, etc... Before long I was paying over $100 a pair. No big deal... I work hard. I can afford it.

Then it happened.

In January of this year, I bought a pair of Nike Air Max 180s. They were pretty sweet. Half of the sole was a huge cushion of air, so they were pretty comfortable. Sure they are running shoes and I haven't done much running since high school. But I work on concrete floors so comfortable shoes are important. I plunked down $110 for them at The Finish Line in the Fayette Mall. Yeah, they were expensive, but I figured I'd make them last by taking GOOD care of them. I only wore them at work. In fact, I only wore them to work when I wore jeans. (when I wore khakis, I'd sport my Doc Martens which I absolutely love!)

Unbelievably, after only a month of part time use, the right shoe got a flat! Somehow the sole got punctured or something and lost all of its air. Now, like I said, half of the soles of these shoes is air, so the two shoes were massively uneven. I checked into the warranty. Two year warranty. I called The Finish Line and they told me Nike handles the warranty claims directly. It took me TWO WEEKS to get through the automated return process over the phone. (they really don't want you to return these shoes!) Finally, I got through to a real person and they processed the claim. I sent them to Nike (in Oregon, I believe) and waited for the response. A few weeks later, I received my same shoes back. There was a pretty stern note that said a puncture caused the loss of air so it was not Nike's responsibility. Furthermore, it made CLEAR that this would be the END of the claims process.

$110 for one month of use. I was FURIOUS. But you know I don't play games with my money. I popped the sole on the other shoe so they would be even, and continued to wear them. Daddy didn't raise no fool! I was DETERMINED to get my money's worth.

Lo and behold, the unthinkable happened. Two weeks after getting them back from Nike, the sole on the LEFT shoe started coming apart! You've got to be kidding me!?! We're talking about a total usage of six weeks. $110 SHOES!!! I mean, the soles are already coming apart! These are RUNNING shoes! Those of you that have known me for a long time know that there was a time when I used to run 5-6 miles a day! Nowadays, I stand at a counter and sell car audio. Hardly a strenuous activity for these shoes...

Like I said, I was furious. I talked to the guys at work about it and they asked me, "From a customer service standpoint, what would WE do for a customer that had a similar issue?" Well, I thought about it, "if the equipment was non repairable, I'd sell the customer a replacement for half price. Even if I didn't make a dime on the sale, I'd earn a customer for life!" Makes sense to me! They suggested that I call Nike back and tell them that.

I did, and here's what happened. The first person said no. The second person said no, but she'd talk to a supervisor. The supervisor was not available, but she took down my number and promised she'd call me back. She called me back that night! (pretty good customer service, I thought) After she talked to her supervisor, the best they would do is free shipping on a new pair of shoes (at full price) I told her I was thinking more like ten dollars off and free shipping. (even though I actually wanted 50% off) She said she'd run it by her supervisor. She did, and they stuck with free shipping. I told her I'd think about it and get back to her.

Well, I've thought about it.

I'll never buy another pair of Nikes. I won't let my wife buy a pair. I will not buy them for my kids. I am done with Nike. If I ever talk to anyone about shoes, I'll tell them this story. I'm gonna send my friend at Nike the url to this blog. I'm going to send a copy of it to Adidas, Reebok, New Balance, Vans, Puma... anyone who will listen! I'll send a copy to The Finish Line where I bought them. I'm going to call the Better Business Bureau to find out who to send this to. If any of the local TV channels have consumer reports listings, I'll send this to them too. All because Nike was too tight fisted to give me TEN DOLLARS OFF on a new pair of shoes when my $110 shoes failed after four weeks! Unbelievable!

Here's the funny part- I still need a pair of shoes.

I couldn't find any Vans I liked. I've never really been into Puma. (even though Napoleon Dynamite rocks em) I've never been a Reebok guy either, even though they seem really nice. I took a look at some Adidas. (All Day I Dream About Sharad) I've had some of their soccer shoes and liked em. I found a nice pair of Adidas tennis shoes that I really liked. (it's hard for me to pick athletic shoes anymore, because they all seem too flashy to me) These are FORTY dollars cheaper than my Nikes were and ironically, Addidas is offering free shipping for father's day! LOL! (According to Nike, free shipping is big time customer service!)

YouGotJunk
06-06-2007, 10:38 PM
New Balance....Greatest shoes EVER!!!!

SMOKE
06-06-2007, 10:46 PM
Dude, the time it took me to read all that jazz was worth more than the $110.00 you lost!!!! :lol: JFWY!

I am a supporter of Adidas and have been forever.

Paul408Notch
06-06-2007, 10:55 PM
I kind of agree with Nikes being kind of shoddy now. I think the last 5 pairs of shoes I've bought (that weren't for work) have been Adidas, and I love them. I keep seeing really good deals on them on Amazon and I'll pick up a pair of $100 shoes for $40 to my door. They're REALLY comfortable, last a really long time, and aren't very expensive. Good combination in my mind. :)

Mr.Moontang
06-06-2007, 11:05 PM

I agree 100%
I have had 3 pairs of full soled Nike Shox and they have all fallen apart in hardly anytime...granted I know that being heavy is not easy on gym shoes but the New Balance hold up!!!

Sharad
06-06-2007, 11:53 PM
I have heard many good things about New Balance! I think I'll buy this pair of adidas. If they don't work out, New Balance will be next!

wht_stang
06-07-2007, 12:54 AM
i loved my pair of dc's they held out through all kinds of shit i wore those things for about two years every day and to top it off i was walkin 1.5 miles to the bus stop and back 7 days a week. I got a pair of DVS now and absolutely love them

Maximus
06-07-2007, 01:04 AM
A pair of fuckin shoes? Shoe fucking warehouse has a milion pairs of indonesa made shoes for $29.99 Just think, Bungagelesh made a whole .78 an hour sewing those fucking shoes together. So next time, THANK Bungagelesh for allowing your pedicured lil paws their comfort.:chicken:

Ryan218
06-07-2007, 01:44 AM
i love my Adio shoes..very nice...the soles last forever...then i have my Nike's i work in mow yards ect..

paid like $80 for them a month or so after school started...still have em..leather has started to Peel in a small spot from where i sat a hot header on my foot..(smart move i know :rolleyes: )....

yeah but if you want comfortable shoes. skater shoes are the way to go...go under 100 bucks and they last forever...

Carl
06-07-2007, 01:45 AM
On the New Balance thing...over 8 years ago I saw my first of NB shoes...I was issued them at basic training. BEST SHOES EVER!!!! Made it through basic and quite a while after that.

I current;y have a pair of (egad!!) Nike's that have treated me right for the last 3 years but I will get another pair of New Balance shoes soon.

blk93notch
06-07-2007, 02:06 AM
which shoe has the best arch support. i need the support and so far nikes are the only ones taht wont make me walk on the sides od my feet. i bought a pair of nikes about 2 noths ago and the soles are comming apart already. i gree nike has gone to shit.

plated
06-07-2007, 07:27 AM
i just bought a pair of new shocks and i swear the lft shoe is made smaller than the right i'm taking mine back today.my 16yr old collects nike shoes,he has over 20 pairs no shit and he keeps them perfect i mean he walks like he's on ice when he wears them he gets sooo pissed when i scuff them on purpose:lol: i can't keep up with the shoe trends these days......

Sharad
06-07-2007, 07:52 AM
which shoe has the best arch support. i need the support and so far nikes are the only ones taht wont make me walk on the sides od my feet. i bought a pair of nikes about 2 noths ago and the soles are comming apart already. i gree nike has gone to shit.

Sounds like you have "pronated ankles". I do too. Go to a real shoe store. (not just any department store) Explain your situation. An experienced shoe salesman should be able to get you in the right shoe to accomodate your situation.

Hope that helps.

MrsAPE
06-07-2007, 08:07 AM
*looks back* yep, I have 3 pairs of Nike's here. But I have not been happy with the last purchase. That was my fault however. Hubby swears by New Balance. He tries others and almost always ends up going back to New Balance. I don't need to worry about new gym shoes just yet...its summer time!! Flip Flop season!! Speedo would be the brand. :big thumb:

RACEME
06-07-2007, 08:09 AM
I am sitting here in my Nike shox....Yep they suck. They are probably 4 months old and are wore out. The front of the sole is comming unglued where it wraps up the front of the shoe, and the sides have streached or something where they no longer have much support. I have been doing a little research on fitness websites and think either new balance or adidis for the next ones.

RACEME
06-07-2007, 08:18 AM
and just for my personal info...How do you pronounce it?

Nikeeeee
or the same as you say "bike"

mustangboy
06-07-2007, 08:42 AM
I used to only wear Nike's back in high school but that was because mom paid for them. When I started buying my own shoes I went to others becuase they were cheaper. I went to NB about 5 or six years ago and loved them, they were cheap and cofortable. My problem was if I wore them longer than six months they would become almost unbearable to wear. So I went back to Nike's and my problems have all gone away. I bought the cheaper $50-$60 ones and they held up well. I did just buy another pair of shoes made by ECCO which is a European company. They were around $80 and I bought them at Dillards. So far they are very very comfortable and I have a feeling they will wear really well. You may want to look into those just for future reference.

85_SS_302_Coupe
06-07-2007, 09:09 AM

Dude you said it...i've had this pair of 574's for 3 years and they look almost new on the outside...the tread will wear off before they start falling apart...not so much as a broken stitch!

The last time i bought Nikes, they were actually made of real leather...how long ago has that been?

RIXXX93GT
06-07-2007, 09:14 AM
New Balance will last longer than most and are fairly comfortable but not the lightest shoe. Adidas are comfortable and light but dont last quite as long. I have had good luck with both of these shoes with a high arch. I have NB's that are two years old and look like new. Pumas, well there basically a casual shoe, nice but casual not performance. Nikes= overpriced junk.

85_SS_302_Coupe
06-07-2007, 09:27 AM
Man i think the NB 574s are one of the lightest shoes on the market! Plus they come in almost as many styles as Chucks.

It doesn't get much cooler than this....it even comes in REAL leather:
http://images.google.co.ug/imgres?imgurl=http://www.frontier-i.com/ishop/images/758/nb_M574LBC.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ishop.co.uk/product%3Fsearch_brand%3DNew%2BBalance%2BClassics&start=10&h=150&w=300&sz=10&tbnid=6vv-e7IVXAz5mM:&tbnh=58&tbnw=116&hl=en&prev=/images%3Fq%3DNew%2BBalance%2B574%2Bblack%26gbv%3D1 %26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

Gene
06-07-2007, 11:11 AM
I hate the style of most of the newer athletic shoes. They look like moonboots to me, and I think that Nikes are the worst (especially the "Shox"). I have a pair of New Balance shoes for when I'm actually participating in athletic endeavors, and Chuck Taylors or old school Pumas for just walking around.

qwk93ta
06-07-2007, 12:04 PM
I have used Asics GT 2100s for the last four years or so without a problem. I've never had a quality issue. I am a runner and go through 2-3 pair of shoes a year. Once I am done with the shoes for running I use them as day to day shoes. I even throw them in the washer to clean them, no problems. I have not owned a pair of NIKE running shoes in a long time, never liked the fit of them.

stroked4eyes
06-07-2007, 12:30 PM
Nike (quality) has sucked balls for a long time IMO!!! I used to rock them in high school (87-89) when I ran cross country and they were cool. I bought a pair after hs and they ripped out within a month. I chalked it up to a bad pair...you know even sweat shop workers have bad days but the next pair had the same problem. I usually sport vans everywhere I go but for running it is NB all the way.

PonymanfiveO
06-07-2007, 06:22 PM
I used to run in Nikes. They have some of the best looking shoes.

Now I run in Asics. its a little tricker to find a sweet looking pair, but damn they last like 5 times as long.

Screw Nike and their high priced low quality shoes.

Sharad
06-07-2007, 06:31 PM
Screw Nike and their high priced low quality shoes.

+1 !!!!!!!111!!11!1!11oneoneone!!!one!

Timido
06-07-2007, 08:21 PM
I picked up a set of ECCO shoes last year they are the most comfortable shoes ever. I bought casual ones and they are like gloves. I did just pick up a set of Nike Reax shoes that are very comfortable I hope they stay togther.

mach_u
06-07-2007, 08:29 PM
To think I just bought a new pair of Nikes two days ago... :(

'92Stang
06-07-2007, 09:47 PM
Dollar General $13.99, doesn't even have a brand name. I guess 6 years have kinda hardened my feet from running in boots (USMC). The darn things last like a year. They start stinkin' before they fall apart;)

Black Hole
06-12-2007, 09:32 AM
I went out to buy some SHOX, but ended up getting a pair of the Air Max 360's.

I must say that they are one of the most comfortable pairs of shoes that I own, but I've been concerned about puncturing the "air pocket" just like you did.

I use them mostly when I'm at the gym (for running) and sometimes when just going out. The thing that I hate the most is how dirty they get.....I need to throw mine into the washer or something.....the white mesh is turning gray pretty damn fast. :(

Sharad
06-12-2007, 05:35 PM
they are WAY comfortable!! But only last about a month...

Black Hole
06-12-2007, 10:37 PM
I've had mine for 4 or 5 months....but I don't wear them every day either. ;)

cstreu1026
06-19-2007, 12:13 PM
I use to return shoes to Nike all the time when I worked in a sporting goods store. I never once had an issue returning a pair, but that may have been because a retailer was returning them. I think I probably managed to turn 1 pair of shoes into at least 8-10 and probably didn't pay for a new pair for 3 years. However, I stopped working there in 2003 so their service could have gone way down hill since then. I stopped buying Nike's the last year or so I worked there though and started wearing Asics shoes. I thought they were way more comfortable and lasted way longer. I have also had good luck with Adidas and even a couple pairs of Reeboks. In the last year I bought I coulple pairs of Ecco shoes as well and have been pretty happy with them as well.