PDA

View Full Version : Any truck drivers on here?

PonymanfiveO
06-09-2007, 01:22 AM
Im fed up with my job at Coke and am starting to look for a new job.
I was trying to get into the fleet department there so I got my CDL's

I currently have my Kentucky CDL instructors permit and endorsements for tanker and double and triple trailers. I havent taken the road test yet because I dont have access to a truck. Ive had them for allmost 6 months and its time to renew them. I need to get some seat time. Anyone want to take me out for a drive?

Id like to find a trucking job. If you know of any hook a brotha up.:cool1:

thanks,
MJ

95redstang
06-09-2007, 01:45 AM
Im fed up with my job at Coke and am starting to look for a new job.
I was trying to get into the fleet department there so I got my CDL's

I currently have my Kentucky CDL instructors permit and endorsements for tanker and double and triple trailers. I havent taken the road test yet because I dont have access to a truck. Ive had them for allmost 6 months and its time to renew them. I need to get some seat time. Anyone want to take me out for a drive?

Id like to find a trucking job. If you know of any hook a brotha up.:cool1:

thanks,
MJ

Get the hell out of that shit hole!!

PonymanfiveO
06-09-2007, 01:50 AM
I got 9 points and Im suspended monday. free day off to job hunt.:bigthumb

95redstang
06-09-2007, 01:53 AM

Dude piss on that place..Is it getting worse? Yeah find another job even if you have to take a pay cut somewhere...

95redstang
06-09-2007, 01:54 AM

Hell I can't believe they gave you Monday off. It use to be a Wednsday..

mustang8998
06-09-2007, 10:59 AM
The company I drive for, just hired 2 drivers. One due to growth, one to replace a driver who quit. I beleive there is another driver on his way out.

Matt, you may have a hard time finding a job, without experience. Most companies want 2 years. You may have to take a second seat, over the road, to gain that. It's not as easy, as it used to be.

Good Luck!

331TwistedWedge
06-09-2007, 11:07 AM
I went to school (Napier) and got my CDL A's ... $4000.00 and never used them, lol ...

its true about the experience, they want you to be a road dog first ... but ~ a few students got jobs at Pepsi right out of school, i believe $17-$18 an hour ...

BigBadStang
06-09-2007, 11:52 AM
hey Matt, glad to see you're wanting to get out of coke. i ran sideload there for almost 7 years, and i left over a year ago, and haven't looked back! i pull doubles for UPS now, and i like it. no over the road (been there, wont do it again!) bullshit.
if you want to get into driving w/o going OTR, try to find a local company that does deliveries. it will suck making deliveries, but you can get seat time to help you get a good driving job. it sucks starting a new carreer, starting at the bottom and having to work your way back up, but there is way mor cash to be made driving, than slinging Coke!

Sparky
06-09-2007, 11:56 AM
Try Schneider. They're always hiring and they have comapny paid training, so they take beginners. As close as you are to cincy you might even get a dedicated route for P&G. I worked for them when I first turned 21. That's how I got my CDL....free and clear. They even paid me to take the classes.

Plus, how cool would it be to drive a truck that matches the color of your race car *derp*

Mista Bone
06-09-2007, 10:41 PM
gotta be desperate to go with Big Orange.

The problem is now all the new trainees get trucks with automatics, your not trained to shift a stick, which after your year is up, limits where you can get another jobs at.

higgy87
06-10-2007, 08:43 AM
Matt, you got that big rig...why dont you haul cars? I see guys everyday at my work with psd's picking up big fancy cars and driving them to other dealers. I would think it would pay somewhat decent, these guys have really nice setups.

Sparky
06-10-2007, 03:09 PM
gotta be desperate to go with Big Orange.

The problem is now all the new trainees get trucks with automatics, your not trained to shift a stick, which after your year is up, limits where you can get another jobs at.

That's gay. It was alot different when I worked for them, but that was 7 years ago. I was trained in a Navistar 9700 series cabover. Doesn't seem like them to train new people in newer trucks. Driving the truck was the least of my problems back then, it was all the rules of the road and PAPERWORK. You're under a tight leash with them, but I would imagine its like that working for any of them. That's why I quit. "it's like having a year round paid vacation" my ass! I don't expect to be on easy street, but that was the most boring, draining job I have ever had. That's where it would pay to be on a team deal, have some one to keep you company and share the burden of the B.S.

Alot of the bigger companies are going automatic, but alot of the bigger companies are modeled after Schneider. JB Hunt, Werner, P.A.M.,Swift. I don't see it being that hard to get another job, but you might have a harder time getting on with a smaller company or a local independant.

Higgy had a good idea, hauling cars pays pretty good. Those guys belong to brokering firms, who give them the jobs. I talked to a guy about it one day. Pretty much all the same rules apply as having a big rig. I think you have to have a class A too. If I ever went back into the driving business that what I would want to do. I always wanted to work for Reliable, they have tose huge ass orange rigs with the monster sleepers. When I worked at a Chrysler/Lamborghini dealer, they were the one who brought us our Vipers ,Prowlers, and Lambos, and the muscle cars they bought at Barret Jackson.
I think that would be tits:cool1:

BigBadStang
06-11-2007, 11:43 AM
i would tell you to try to get into "distribution" over there, they used to hire people off the street without much experience, but you have to merchandise alot at first, and NO ONE desrves that kind of abuse!
:lol: