PDA

View Full Version : Rail Buggy

'92Stang
06-12-2007, 09:48 PM
Seems I'm posting more under the toy/off road section than for my 92. Maybe thats a good thing:) . ....Anyway, a few months ago I realized the dirt bike thing was wearing me out, and besides it's hard to go for a good ride with a 3 y.o. riding shotgun on the YZ450. So a buddy of mine was letting a damn nice rail rot outside the barn, so we traded along with some cash. He'd just had the motor rebuilt somewhere in Indiana, it's a 1600cc VW motor with twin carbs, cam,etc..He parked it when it started making a ticking sound. The deal went down like this. He was supposed to help tear down the motor, along with me ( since i don't know crap when it comes to a vw motor), and help me put it back together, after I bought whatever parts were needed. While waiting on him to show up after several weeks. I sanded down the frame, had it repainted, removed the engine. Upon inspecting the rods, valves, lifters, everything looked good. It was missing two bolts holding the tranny to the block, and the starter gear was missing quite a few teeth. I suspect this was the ticking noise??...My buddy shows up to crack the block, and check the bearings, and suddenly has to leave. Next thing I know he wants to back out of the deal, after he's had the bike for over a month. I think he thought more was wrong with it??? Here's my dilemma. I don't want to crack the block myself (never claimed to be a mechanic). Is there anyone with VW motor experience?? I'll buy the beer, supply the tools, and can pay. Just need this done by 6/30. Any help appreciated, Mike

plated
06-12-2007, 10:08 PM
scotty's vw on beechmont ave are all about vw stuff or drews there high rent though.i met a guy that has 3 storage buildings full of vw stuff if u need motor parts lmk.i also know a guy wanting to buy a rail if it has a title he will buy right now pm me if u wanna sell it.

'92Stang
06-13-2007, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the info plated. Not looking to sell, just a mechanic to help me get it reassembled.