PDA

View Full Version : Noisy brake calipers

ulooze
06-14-2007, 06:26 PM
My front brake calipes chatter when I go over even the smallest bump. I made sure everything was tight. Does anyone have any ideas how to fix it.

5.0calypso93lx
06-14-2007, 06:38 PM
My front brake calipes chatter when I go over even the smallest bump. I made sure everything was tight. Does anyone have any ideas how to fix it.

What year car? Stock or aftermarket brakes?

8NO4CYL
06-14-2007, 06:42 PM
If it's a fox I would say it is the pads rattling in the caliper. Try using some new caliper bolts and spray the back of the pads with some of that disc brake pad "quiet".

ulooze
06-14-2007, 07:08 PM
It is a Fox body. The caliper bolts did look and little rough. You can move the brake calipers back and forth, just enough the hear the noise. I try the new bolts.

Thanks

5.0calypso93lx
06-14-2007, 07:13 PM
It is a Fox body. The caliper bolts did look and little rough. You can move the brake calipers back and forth, just enough the hear the noise. I try the new bolts.

Thanks

I'll bet that its the pads squeaking. Go buy some kendals blue grease, or some kind of brake grease, and apply it anywhere the pads are making contact with anything.

ulooze
06-14-2007, 09:17 PM
The pads arent sqeaking and you dont hear it on a smooth road but mostly in town with little bumps. Just a chatter noise. Thought at first it was the srtuts and replaces those last sunday but just my luck it wasnt it.

Timido
06-20-2007, 10:25 PM
My dads car did that I replaced the Pads and Pins/bolts I think that took care of it the pin/bolts were loose in the pads and they rattled

Katmandu
07-06-2007, 08:18 PM
My front brake calipes chatter when I go over even the smallest bump. Man, I though my car was the only one doing that. :lol:

Mine got ALOT louder whenever I installed a set of Cobra-Rs. Probably cause they are more open design...exposing the brakes more.

I'm upgrading my calipers/pads real soon. I'm going with 91 Crownvic Police Interceptor calipers and Perfomance Friction pads. Only about a $80 upgrade that is WELL WORTH IT! :bigthumb

BTW, the CV PI calipers have a much larger piston giving a much larger contact area with the pads. This will increase the total pressure area giving much better braking.