PDA

View Full Version : starting problem when hot

HRSEPWR
06-14-2007, 10:52 PM
hey guys, my pops has this problem with his stang that we can't seem to figure out. the problem is that everytime the car is hot, the starter drags like the battery is dead and sometimes the car won't start until it cools down. WTF?? We have replaced the starter 3 times now in the past year. What else could be causing this.... Although we did replace with autozone starters but I find it hard to believe that we got three bad starters, but you never know.

Paul408Notch
06-14-2007, 10:55 PM
I had this problem until I bought some DEI Starter wrap from Cincy Speed. That stuff works REALLY well.

ATimpe
06-14-2007, 11:13 PM
have you checked the main engine ground, the cable is only a few bucks and might be worth a try.

bobtsgt
06-15-2007, 08:23 AM
sounds like the solenoid is getting heat soaked. check all connections and wrap it like Paul said.

quik lx
06-15-2007, 08:32 AM
yeah, if you have a the later starter (92 and up) with the solenoid on it and one on the inner fender, the one on the starter can become heat soaked. you can either get a older starter or try and wrap it. Wrapping it sucks and most of the time you gotta remove it anyway. Changing the wiring is a snap between starters. Let me know if you go that route I have schematic for it.

HRSEPWR
06-15-2007, 11:24 AM
the car is an 88, I will have to check what kind of starter it is... I think he has replaced the solenoid on the fender wall as well, so I guess it makes sense about getting heat soaked. I will pass on the info and see what he wants to do.. Thanks guys!!! :bigthumb

mrstang-gt-46
06-15-2007, 09:06 PM
timing to advanced

FireStang02
06-18-2007, 05:43 PM
2 of the things mentioned are usually associated with having hot start issues. Heat sink usually kills starters, espcieally if you have long tube headers. Try the header wrap Paul mentioned. The other thing is usually a weak or insufficient ground. Make sure your battery is ground good and the chassis ground is good on the back of the engine. If you have moved the battery to the trunk, that usually causes an issue. A lot of the relocation kits sold have wires that aren't quite up to par. Beef it up with thicker cables. Good Luck.