PDA

View Full Version : Need stereo advice for my truck.

Paul408Notch
06-14-2007, 10:54 PM
ok, so I have a 2005 extended (access) cab Tacoma, and need an amp. I just got a great deal on a set of components for the front doors which will take about 100W RMS pretty easily, but I don't know what to do about subs or amps.

Right now I'm leaning toward taking out the rear 6.5" speakers and putting some Elememtal Design 7kv.2 subs in. I hear great things about them, and I won't lose any cab space. The only drawbacks would be that if somebody sat in the back, they wouldn't get anything but bass if I threw a DVD in, and I hear that the back doors rattle like crazy without an ass-load of dynamat.

I wouldn't mind putting a sub somewhere in the cab, but I have no idea where since there's extremely limited space, that's why I'm leaning towards the back doors.

So if I do the subs in the back doors, I have no idea what amp to run. I don't know if I'm better off with 2 2-channels, or a single 3 or 4 channel amp or what. I think the little subs will take 200W RMS each, so I was thinking some kind of funky 3 channel thing would work well.

So that's where I am, let's hear what you think.

5.0calypso93lx
06-15-2007, 08:45 AM
Which do you care more for, quantity or quality? How much power can those subs handle?

IMO, I prefer a good, quality sound over the boomy bass anyday. I think that if quality is your goal, I would go with two seperate amps, because you don't want your speaker and sub amp to be the same.

I've had awesome luck with Alpine amps, and currently run the alpine MRV-F345 in the mustang, powering all 6 speakers and it sounds very good.

So sounds like you are going to have two component speakers and two small subs. I would run two seperate amps, either 2 or 4 channel as you can bridge the 4 channel together if necessary.

I always like to get amps that are more powerful than what I need, so I don't have to run them at full capability 100% of the time, which usually makes them last longer.

Black Hole
06-15-2007, 09:27 AM
Which do you care more for, quantity or quality? How much power can those subs handle?

IMO, I prefer a good, quality sound over the boomy bass anyday. I think that if quality is your goal, I would go with two seperate amps, because you don't want your speaker and sub amp to be the same.

I've had awesome luck with Alpine amps, and currently run the alpine MRV-F345 in the mustang, powering all 6 speakers and it sounds very good.

So sounds like you are going to have two component speakers and two small subs. I would run two seperate amps, either 2 or 4 channel as you can bridge the 4 channel together if necessary.

I always like to get amps that are more powerful than what I need, so I don't have to run them at full capability 100% of the time, which usually makes them last longer.
Good advice all around.

I'll second the Alpine comment. In the Cobra along with the factory 6 disk 460 system, I'm running a 10 year old Alpine V-12 series amp (50x2, 125x1 bridged) with a 1 farad capacitor to a 10 year old Kicker 12" Solobaric sub (the old original round ones). Sub sounds great and I've never had a single problem with the amp or the sub.

bobtsgt
06-15-2007, 09:31 AM
you could do a 4 channel under the front seats. that way they don't get so hot. Then you can run your highs off the 2 front channels and bridge the rear channels for a nice single DVC 8" in a truck box. If you don't really care about the looks of things you can extend the box wires about 3ft or so that way you can move it around when you have more people in the car. In my Explorer I have a folding 3rd row seat so on my dual 10" box I left another foot of wire so I can leave the box down to fire forward then pick the box up and put the 3rd seat up and still keep the subs in place. Or you could wallow out the doors and turn them into speaker boxes themselves.

Sharad
06-15-2007, 09:55 AM
http://www.supercrewsound.com/shop/detail/11/244.htm

http://www.supercrewsound.com/shop/detail/11/443.htm

The problem with "subs" in the doors is that it's nearly impossible to put them in any kind of "enclosure" that would sound good. Lots of manufacturers (including Ford) will put them in plastic pods (ie "Shaker" system) but they don't sound like an actual subwoofer in a real enclosure.

As always, if I can help you out, let me know.

-rad

Paul408Notch
06-15-2007, 02:24 PM

Yeah, I'm not a fan of boomy bass. I just want something that sounds good, and doesn't look terrible. Sharad got me taken care of for the front speakers, I just need something pretty clean for the rears. I'm really debating THESE (http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g183/transdsm/XrunnerAudio004.jpg) but I don't want to cut up my doors, and they're $425 for a pair. Not sure if I want to drop that kind of coin.

I had a big long thing typed out for the other replies too, but I lost it. In summary, 4-channel under the front seat is probable, and I don't know if I want to use a box like the ones Sharad posted because I usually leave my back seats folded flat, and don't want to have to move the box around every time I change.

I think I may try the little subs in the door, and try to make an enclosure around them out of expanding foam and dynamat or something like that. I'm too much of a perfectionist to leave a speaker box just laying around in the back of my truck, so it'll have to be clean whatever it is.

Oh, and Sharad, the speakers got here Weds, and look killer. I have no clue where I'm going to put those monster crossovers, but I'll figure something out. Thanks again!

Sharad
06-15-2007, 08:14 PM
you're welcome! Was that JL stuff in the box too?

Paul408Notch
06-15-2007, 09:18 PM
you're welcome! Was that JL stuff in the box too?

Yeah, I ended up having to use USPS, but I think it should be to your shop tomorrow.