PDA

View Full Version : '93 EEC harness in an '86?

Sharad
06-15-2007, 08:23 PM
Anyone have any good links to info on swapping a '93 EEC IV harness into my '86 GT? I started on it tonight. The body harness (coming through the firewall from under the steering column) has TWO 8 pin barrel connectors. The '93 ENGINE harness has only ONE 8 pin connector where it connects to the body harness. (this is behind the driver's side strut tower, against the firewall) Also, the connectors on both harnesses are FEMALE! LOL! I guess the factory engine harness in '86 had TWO male 8 pin connectors but the '93 harness has ONE FEMALE 8 pin?

I can get the other side of the connector so I can splice it in. Alternately, I can just solder the proper wires together...

Anyone know where to find the wiring info?

Sparky
06-16-2007, 02:30 PM
What you need are the Ford EVTM (electrical,vacuum,and troubleshooting manual)manuals for an 86 and a 93 . Since your changing a speed density, non airbag car to a mass air car with airbag crap in the wiring its gonna be completely different. The two cars will have alot of similar functions, but you will have to re-pin some connectors as well as splice some other things in. It will just take some time and thorough research in your manuals to decipher it all. I can give you one good heads up....automatics and 5 speeds have differently wired O2 harnesses. An A9P harness will Fry an A9l. The neutral safety switches ared wired through the O2 harness. I don't know what you have, but I thought I would warn, because I was "burnt" by this. The best internet tech sites I have found for EEC-IV are fordfuelinjection.com and My5oh.com . fordfuelinjection has custom wiring harnesses and you can also buy replacement connectors. You can buy the EVTM books from the publisher online, based uopn availability, or you may be able to get one from your local ford dealer. Hope this helps.

Sharad
06-16-2007, 04:19 PM
thanks. I've got the computer, harness, and sensors from a '93. Summit Racing has the FORD book on this specific harness available online. I think I can work with this.

These are the ones I need to connect:

Brown
RED/LBLU to 12V crank only
WHT/PPL to 12V crank only
RED/LGRN to 12V crank and run
WHT/RED to oil press dash gauge
RED/WHT to water temp dash gauge
TAN/YEL tach 'trigger' wire
GRY/RED and PPL/YEL to manual trans neutral gear sw (NGS)

Green
WHT/PNK to low oil sender
GRY/YEL to 12V run only
DGRN/YEL to inertial sw then to fuel pump pos+
PNK/ORG to VSS neg and GND
GRY/BLK to VSS pos
PNK/LGRN to CEL. Other side of CEL to 12V crank and run

I'll hook it up this week and see what happens.

Sparky
06-16-2007, 11:21 PM
Yeah, the harness Ford offers is supposed to be their leftover 93 harnesses, so hopefully the wire colors match. The way you descibe is exactly how I did mine. The grey/red and the purple/yellow wires are the ones to watch out for. They trace back to pin 30 on the ECM and can backfeed through to the signal return wires for all the sensors. They are meant to have NO VOLTAGE running through them. If voltage is applied through the wires, it will cook all 3 case grounds in the ECM and put it in failure mode. What Ford failed to mention in the book you get with their motorsport harness is when you use another computer/harness besides what they offer with the kit, you will fry it. And the same goes with the extra harnesses needed. They assume you are using everything they sell for said swap. Those two wires tell the computer when the car is out of gear or the clutch is disengaged. As long as you have a standard transmission ECM ,and have the proper O2 harness, you will be fine. I know you haven't said what you have exactly, I'm just giving a heads up, because those two wires are the only ones that can f*ck you.

Having the actual Ford service manual was the only way I figured this out. Each year has a few changes here and there, especially with wire colors, even though they do the same thing. They also have all the connector pinout diagrams for the vehicle. Using these will help you find out where everything is on your 86 so you can use the existing wires , instead of creating new ones. It might be as simple as plugging your 93 harness into your 86, I would want to be sure instead of finding out the hard way. I've never swapped a speed density car to a mass air so I don't know. I put a mass air setup in an 87 carbed ranger. I started out with a complete harness out of an 88 car that was switched to mass air, so I don't know what exact year the harness was. All I know is the wire colors didn't match the books I had so I bought the new motorsport harness.

Long story short, I think you'll do fine.... just do your research and heed my warnings. Good luck dude!

Sharad
06-16-2007, 11:28 PM
thanks for the help and for the heads up on those two wires! I have been stressing over those! Good news is, I DO have a manual tranny computer, harness, and o2 harness, so I'm good there.

I'm also excited to find out that the t-5 has a neutral switch. I've replaced a gazillion of these transmissions and never knew that's what that connector was for. I'm excited because I can use the remote start feature on a viper alarm if I tie it into that switch. The remote start can be used as a turbo timer! :)

Paul408Notch
06-17-2007, 03:52 AM
I'm also excited to find out that the t-5 has a neutral switch. I've replaced a gazillion of these transmissions and never knew that's what that connector was for. I'm excited because I can use the remote start feature on a viper alarm if I tie it into that switch. The remote start can be used as a turbo timer! :)

I have my remote start hooked up through that switch on my Tremec. I was far too scared to install it without it.

Sharad
06-17-2007, 11:02 AM
sweeeeeeet!