PDA

View Full Version : Got an early birthday present

Paul408Notch
06-19-2007, 02:01 PM
A friend of mine gave me this over the weekend for my birthday. It's a billet aluminum dash plate for the Mustang that's been anodized black. It holds two 3 3/8" gauges, and four 2 1/16" gauges. Florida 5.0 sells these in plastic, but they're more expensive, and not nearly as cool looking. The only downside to this, is there's not a lot of room behind the dash when you get the plate all lined up, so I'm told you have to run electric gauges. But I'm still super happy with this even though I have to drop like $700 on gauges now. :o :lol:

http://www.paultown.com/Cars/DashWeb01.jpg

http://www.paultown.com/Cars/DashWeb02.jpg

I'm pretty excited to get started, but I need to save a few bucks so I can afford the gauges. Then my favorite speed shop in the world will be sending me a package. Nothing like getting home from work and seeing the big box out front from UPS with 7306 Vine St. 45216 as the return address. :D

RACEME
06-19-2007, 02:45 PM
Nice Paul! Admitt it, you were going to get the high tech gauges anyway!

mustangboy
06-19-2007, 02:51 PM
So who makes that setup?

Paul408Notch
06-19-2007, 04:12 PM
Nice Paul! Admitt it, you were going to get the high tech gauges anyway!

True. I do have a tendency to buy the most high-tech things I can find. I'm such a technology dork. :lol:

So who makes that setup?

It's a guy out here near me that does them. He's got a couple of CNC machines in his garage, and makes all kinds of cool stuff. He and his wife are 4-eyed car freaks too. They have about 6 of them.

http://www.mc-machine.com/products.htm

And apparently I was wrong on the price. He has them listed for $150, not $100. Still the same price as the Florida 5.0 plates, but way nicer.

Mista Bone
06-19-2007, 04:54 PM
Dakota Digital gauges or something similar?

dedpedal
06-19-2007, 06:04 PM
Sounds like Skye and Mike. She goes WAYYYY back with the early DPR crew.

Looks awesome Paul.

Paul408Notch
06-19-2007, 06:11 PM
Sounds like Skye and Mike. She goes WAYYYY back with the early DPR crew.

Looks awesome Paul.

That's them. I don't think I've met nicer people out here. :)

PonymanfiveO
06-19-2007, 06:54 PM
really nice looking Paul. Id like to do the same thing eventually.

Any idea on what gauges you'll be using yet? Or is that classified info? :)

Paul408Notch
06-19-2007, 06:57 PM
really nice looking Paul. Id like to do the same thing eventually.

Any idea on what gauges you'll be using yet? Or is that classified info? :)

At this point I think I'll be putting Autometer Phantom IIs in there. I'd probably use something else if my AEM wideband gauge wasn't white with a black bezel, but I'm not dropping the cash for a new one of those.

PonymanfiveO
06-19-2007, 07:20 PM
I was reading about that AEM wideband in Race Pages last night.
You like it?

The Phantom II's are bad too. ;)

Paul408Notch
06-19-2007, 07:45 PM
Yeah, it works WAY better than the Innovate LM1 I used to have. I think there's only been 1 time it didn't work right, and that was one morning before I moved out here that it was really cold. It just took a couple of minutes to warm up, then it worked as usual.

I'm looking forward to throwing the gauges in. I'm just not looking forward to the holes that will be left in my dash from the dash pod I'll have to take out. I knew I should have just used tape instead of screws. :doh:

mustangboy
06-19-2007, 07:59 PM
At this point I think I'll be putting Autometer Phantom IIs in there. I'd probably use something else if my AEM wideband gauge wasn't white with a black bezel, but I'm not dropping the cash for a new one of those.

I'm just not looking forward to the holes that will be left in my dash from the dash pod I'll have to take out. I knew I should have just used tape instead of screws.

Damn Paul that sound absolutely identical to my situation on both counts.

Paul408Notch
06-19-2007, 08:38 PM
Damn Paul that sound absolutely identical to my situation on both counts.

I have you under surveillance. I liked your ideas, so I stole them and claimed them as my own. :sneaky:

Timido
06-19-2007, 10:59 PM
My dash has marks on it from the Tape. Tell Skye we all say Hi!

jeremy23
06-19-2007, 11:13 PM
I have the same gauge setup, if you want some pics or wiring info for the gauges let me know, I think I still have the files I used saved some where. They are really nice setups, I was very happy with mine. As far as the gauges being all electrical mine are except for the speedo gauge, I will be using a stock cable with the right end put on it by a local speed shop.

Paul408Notch
06-20-2007, 12:01 AM
I have the same gauge setup, if you want some pics or wiring info for the gauges let me know, I think I still have the files I used saved some where. They are really nice setups, I was very happy with mine. As far as the gauges being all electrical mine are except for the speedo gauge, I will be using a stock cable with the right end put on it by a local speed shop.

Yeah, I wanted to run mechanical for the oil and water to save a few bucks, but I'm told they won't fit. I'm going to run an electric speedo too. My cable is in bad shape, so I'm just going to pull it out of there.

mustangboy
06-20-2007, 12:25 AM
So what exactly does not fit. I'm pretty much going to have everything behind my dash gutted so I won't have all the factory wiring. Do you think the mechanical guages will that way?

jeremy23
06-20-2007, 12:39 AM
With mine I had to clearance the dash it self, I did this by using a dremel tool and trimming the plastic till it fit. For the wiring I had a diagram somewhere that I used to tap into the factory wiring to run the gauges and seperated the wiring under the hood that I wouldnt be using since I am changing over to a carbed blowthru setup. I'll keep looking for that diagram, I know I have it somewhere.

Paul408Notch
06-20-2007, 01:24 AM
I was told there's not enough clearance between the back of the gauges and the firewall. I don't have first hand experience of this, but I was told this by more than 1 person.

Evil_Capri
06-20-2007, 07:38 AM
That's a nice piece!

Jeff88coupe
06-20-2007, 09:12 AM
That's them. I don't think I've met nicer people out here. :)

Very cool Paul....Mike does some very nice work. Say hi to Skyee and Mike for us the next time you see them. I think Mike is still using my old stock speed density computer in his car if he hasen't switched to mass air yet.