PDA

View Full Version : Going to a carb

Nfamus
06-20-2007, 10:23 AM
Thinking about converting from EFI to a carb. Just wondering what all it would take, and the pros and cons of the carb.

91lxnos
06-20-2007, 03:28 PM
intake,carb dist, fuel pump and reg, carb ect....it is cheaper to go carbed and you do have proven power gains BUT It is alot harder to tune and is alot more trouble to maintain ie cold weather,jet changes ect.... EFI if you have it is the way to go it is much more efficiant and easier to tune also the car will have a broader audiance if you ever want to sell it if it is FI You can do some bolt ons and have it tuned at a reputable shop and have alot of reliable fun Can you say Blower/Turbo!!!! Just my .02 I have a carbed set up and by now with the money I have spent could have went FI and been running a F1 blower by now :bigthumb

CAPRISTANG
06-20-2007, 03:38 PM
Are you changing the 85-86 on youre avatar?? If you don't drive it in the winter there find. There is good and bad from both side's. Go with what you feel comfortible with, or the cash flow will allow..

85_SS_302_Coupe
06-21-2007, 10:44 AM
It's so funny how today people are talking about carbs being hard to tune, when EFI used to be the big mystery....lol

My advice, educate yourself and take tuning the carb seriously, and don't half ass your learning, and you'll reap the rewards. If you go into it expecting perfection without having to work on the carb, you won't be happy.

This will help:
http://www.holley.com/36-378.asp

Andy
06-21-2007, 10:48 AM
I recently converted mine over the winter, actually I just dropped a motor in that was already a carb setup and I like it alot. If its an everyday car I wouldn't do it because of gas. I like the old school look myself, plus its easier to work on and its cheaper for parts. Down side gas mileage is worse and tuning is a little tricky but its not to bad. One difference you'll notice is the carb pulls more on the top end and you'll lose a little on the bottom end.
You'll need a different timing chain cover for the mechanical fuel pump. You'll have to either remove the fuel pump or put an inline regulator so that you only have about 7 to 8lbs of fuel pressure. You'll also need a MSD box or a duraspark for the ignition setup. I personally went with a PROCOMP 6AL(MSD nock off) that has an adjustable rev limiter. Its much cheaper than the MSD is was $130.00 shipped to my door. If you want to stop by and check my setup out drop me line.

Good luck,

Andy

Nfamus
06-21-2007, 11:25 AM
I can tune a carb, I am just overwelmbed with the cost of all the FI stuff. I would like to run the EFI but it looks like it would take 2000 to 3000 dollars of FI stuff just to get the car to run in the 12.00s (na) and that doesnt include a new motor. With a carb setup I could focus my efforts more on the motor, heads, etc... Just thinkin out loud.