PDA

View Full Version : Difference between E5TE and E7TE heads

Steves LX
06-22-2007, 10:41 AM
I have a block here and when I pulled the heads off the block there are differen't casting #'s on each one of the heads.One says E5TE and the other says E7TE. What is the difference here?

dedpedal
06-22-2007, 01:15 PM
I remember reading somewhere that the heads were identical other than the casting number, but personaly never seen any real proof of it. The e5 was an 85 casting date code and e7 was the head used on 5.0 mustangs from 87 to 95(?). Im sure it appeared on other engines of that era as well.
Personaly, I would ditch them both and buy a better set.

Steves LX
06-22-2007, 01:22 PM
Well my other option right now due to budget is a set of GT40P but I have BBK long tube headers and I think there is going to be an issue with spark plugs. So well see I appreciate your input

dedpedal
06-22-2007, 01:34 PM
Check for sure, but I think the long tubes will work with P heads.

85_SS_302_Coupe
06-22-2007, 03:47 PM
I recently did a head gasket and while i was at it i put some freshened up E7s on my stock '85 block that still had the E5 castings....and i couldn't see any difference that was significant enough to see with the eye. There is however a difference in combustion chamber size, as the '85 has something like 8.5:1 compression or something and the '87+ came in at around 9:1. It's minimal but if that's all you've got at least it's something. I think the headers will work also, i know MAC long tubes work and i think the BBK are basically a better quality version of the MACs.