PDA

View Full Version : First autox since tires, cc plates and rack

88ssp
06-24-2007, 09:10 PM
Well, today was the first event since I did some changes to the car. For reference, FTD on this course today was a 39.8xx. I had 6 runs and my quickest was a 45.8xx on the last run.

What I noticed was the stickiness of the tires (Kumho MX's). They allowed me to push the car a lot harder, especially in the corners and the long, fast sweeper we had. The steering was a lot more responsive with the new rack and the alignment settings.

Best news of all I reached my goal of beating one person in my class and I met my goal of a 45 second run today.

I'm happy seeing how this is my 2nd competiton event and 3rd if you count the local autox school.

I bet if I would actually run SM using race rubber, I would be even more competitive--I guess that is what next year is for.

Black Horse
06-24-2007, 10:03 PM
Step by step.... Great progress! Seat time will gain you more than all the add-ons ever will.

88ssp
06-25-2007, 06:17 AM
Yep, chipping away at it. I picked up 6 seconds from my first run to last and all but one I improved. One of the local hot shoes who runs a camaro in CP rode with me and gave me some pointers. Taking his advice netted me my quickest runs. I'm still not as aggressive as I can be, though. There are times when I'm coasting. I know it's only a fraction of a second when I coast, but it all adds up. Seat time, seat time, seat time.

Gene
06-25-2007, 09:24 AM
Seat time will gain you more than all the add-ons ever will.

Yep.

Best way to get faster is to tighten the loose nut behind the steering wheel.

Does your region have an Auto-X school at any point during the season? If they do, attend it.

88ssp
06-25-2007, 09:28 AM
Already had one with the locals. Learned a lot.