PDA

View Full Version : I'm confused

Chunk94GT
06-26-2007, 10:26 AM
i put a new clutch cable on my car the other day and now for some reason with the new cable on the car i can barely push the clutch to the floor. It take everything i have to push it down. everything engages correct but it just takes everything i have to push it down. Anyone know why i would be having this problem. the cable moves freely unconnected so its not kinked up. Thanks in advance for the help.

Josh

transman
06-26-2007, 10:37 AM
CHECK THE QUADRANT MAY BE BOUND

5.0calypso93lx
06-26-2007, 10:43 AM
What kind of cable did you buy? Adjustable? Do you have an adjustable quadrant and firewall adjuster?

Chunk94GT
06-26-2007, 12:35 PM
I have a steeda firewall adjuster and a stock replacement cable. the clutch engages and works fine the old cable was a fox body cable and was about a inch to short and i didn't have any play in the pedel. now everything works the trans goes into gear and driveable but its just a PITA to push in. I think tonight im gonna take it all apart and put it all back on again and see what happens.

Josh

Oh yeah i have a stock quadrant i lost the pieces to my steeda quick release quad so i have to buy another one.

5.0calypso93lx
06-26-2007, 12:39 PM
I have a steeda firewall adjuster and a stock replacement cable. the clutch engages and works fine the old cable was a fox body cable and was about a inch to short and i didn't have any play in the pedel. now everything works the trans goes into gear and driveable but its just a PITA to push in. I think tonight im gonna take it all apart and put it all back on again and see what happens.

Josh

Oh yeah i have a stock quadrant i lost the pieces to my steeda quick release quad so i have to buy another one.

I would definately get another quadrant those stockers are junk. If it still doesn't work right after you re-install everything, I would look into getting an adjustable cable so you can fine tune everything.

Rustanggt98
06-26-2007, 01:27 PM
if you still have a stock quadrant they are self adjusting, stick your foot or hand down there and pull back/up towards the driver seat and see if it doesn't click back into adjustment.

347sc
06-26-2007, 01:29 PM
if you still have a stock quadrant they are self adjusting, stick your foot or hand down there and pull back/up towards the driver seat and see if it doesn't click back into adjustment.

:wstupid:

Timido
06-26-2007, 08:44 PM
And if that doesnt work make sure the cable is not hung up on the corner of the K member!

Chunk94GT
06-26-2007, 09:53 PM
thanks guys for all the advice. I tried pulling the pedel up and it didn't do anything. I got my ass kick today at work so i was to tired to mess with it but i wil keep you guys updated on what comes out of it. Thanks again for the help.

Josh

Silver Bullet
06-26-2007, 10:15 PM
Make sure a header hasn't melted any of it also...

5.0calypso93lx
06-27-2007, 12:13 PM
Pull the cable off of the clutch fork, and try pushing the pedal down again.

Chunk94GT
06-27-2007, 12:39 PM
Pull the cable off of the clutch fork, and try pushing the pedal down again.

the pedel moved freely that way, i must have it ran the wrong way threw the engine compartment and when i'm hooking it up its causing it to kink somewhere so this afternoon im gonna try and find another way to route it without putting up against the exhuast or to far out of the way.

Josh

Chunk94GT
06-27-2007, 10:08 PM
well i spent all afternoon sweating my ass off redoing everything. Now its a little easier but not easy like it should be so it has to be a bad cable. I don't know of any other way possible that it could go. I have it route correct this time, everything is hooked up correct, so im gonna go find another cable somewhere i really don't want to use a adjustable cable seems like more of a pain then i want to deal with. Thanks guys for all the advice and help and i will let you guys know what the outcome is if i ever get it fixed.

Thanks again
Josh

2-8-1
06-28-2007, 03:20 PM
i put a new clutch cable on my car the other day and now for some reason with the new cable on the car i can barely push the clutch to the floor. It take everything i have to push it down. everything engages correct but it just takes everything i have to push it down. Anyone know why i would be having this problem. the cable moves freely unconnected so its not kinked up. Thanks in advance for the help.

I know that some aftermarket cables are harder to push in than stock ones. Get the Maximum Motorsports Quadrant and cable, Its a 110% improvement over stock.

chad393na
06-30-2007, 02:30 AM
Don't buy an autozone cable, we've gotten bad ones right out of the box. The advance ones are the best local one i've used. Much better quality.

IWRBB
06-30-2007, 08:17 AM
You say you have a firewall adjuster. What about the quad? I've never heard of anyone using a stock quad with an aftermarket adjuster.

Chunk94GT
07-01-2007, 04:10 PM
Don't buy an autozone cable, we've gotten bad ones right out of the box. The advance ones are the best local one i've used. Much better quality.

Well i went to advance and picked up a Mightymite stock replacement. I got home and installed everything went really smooth until i when to hook it up to the clutch fork. The cable is about a Inch to short. So number two failed, so now im gonna take it back and got to KOI and pick up another one. I think i might win a setup on ebay UPR Adj Cable Firewall adj and Triple hook Quad. If anyone is interested in the quad i will sell it cheap to replace it with a Steeda quick release and the maybe the cable if the one from koi works. Thanks again for the help but im still on the chase to get my car back on the road with a clutch cable.

Josh

Chunk94GT
07-04-2007, 03:25 PM
well im a dumbass, the cars fixed i'm just stupid and needed to pay more attention to what i was doing. Thanks for all the help again and i got it fixed and good to go.

Josh

cstreu1026
07-04-2007, 03:49 PM
so what were you over looking?

Chunk94GT
07-04-2007, 10:43 PM
so what were you over looking?

well i kept reading my chiltons manual and it said not to push the clutch pedel in when cable removed. Well i couldn't figure out why until today when i put the next cable on the car and it was to short. It took everything i had to get the cable back on the fork and you could tell once you push the clutch pedel in it was really wrong. Come to find out if you move the clutch pedel with no cable it places the stock quad in a bad position. So once i noticed that is what problem was i poped the pedel up from the engaged postion the quad made weird gear grinding sound and set itself in the correct position. Then i pulled up on the pedel and it clicked again and worked better than ever. So i felt really stupid for not being able to figure that out but we learn from our mistakes, and damn i can put a clutch cable on a mustang in less than 10 mins. So i got i figured out and it works fine, the quad feels like it is worn out so im gonna pick up a steeda quick release and new firewall adjuster and it should be good to go. Thanks again for the help everyone and maybe by experience will help another person along the way.

Josh