PDA

View Full Version : Spyderco Knives

85_SS_302_Coupe
07-02-2007, 09:40 AM
I'm a pocket knife guy....i carry some sort of small knife on me pretty much anywhere i go. I've carried a really nice Buck for about a year but recently lost it at work and i've been shopping around for something different. I came across a few Spyderco knives at a flea market this weekend and ended up finding one of the same models i wanted at (where else?) Walmart, and it was half the price that the guys at the flea market wanted and still half the price that Spyderco wants from their website so i picked one up.

They call it the Spyderco Native:
http://spyderco.com/pix/products/large/C41BK_L.jpg
http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=20

The Buck i carried was an assisted open knife which i really liked so i was skeptical about going back to one that wasn't, but this knife is so nice and ergonomically well made that i don't think i'm losing out on anything. I opted for the non serrated edge because i can't stand trying to keep them sharp (although from reading on their website, they swear by them). One of the cool aspects is how sturdy the knife is...at a glance you might think "plastic" but it's actually G-10, which is the same epoxy resin filled fiber glass type material used in hand guns like Glocks and H+Ks, so this thing is nearly indestructible and really light.

I had never heard of the company until i bought the Buck i was carrying and some other guys mentioned them, but apparently they've been around forever, as their site says they were the first company to put a pocket/belt clip on the handle of a knife. They also make knifes specifically for law enforcement and EMT/Firemen and such.

Overall i'd say if you're in need of a good pocket knife, head to Walmart and snatch one of these. They're $75 everywhere else i've seen them but only $39 at Walmart, which is $10 cheaper than the Buck i bought and i'm convinced that this is a far superior knife.

They also have a huge online catalog. http://spyderco.com/catalog/

Mr.Moontang
07-02-2007, 10:39 AM
I have 4 Spyderco knives and I love them!!!

one90gt
07-02-2007, 05:39 PM
Spyderco Knives are really nice. If im correct, they use some of the best steel available for their blades. Also the perfect circle hole in their blades is pretty cool for one handed operation. The only concern I'd have is if they are making a "walmart line" of knives similar to what levis jeans and dell did(crappier versions of the original)

poncho2001
07-02-2007, 09:02 PM
I've had mine for about 6yrs now and have had no complaints with it.

85_SS_302_Coupe
07-03-2007, 12:36 AM
Spyderco Knives are really nice. If im correct, they use some of the best steel available for their blades. Also the perfect circle hole in their blades is pretty cool for one handed operation. The only concern I'd have is if they are making a "walmart line" of knives similar to what levis jeans and dell did(crappier versions of the original)

Yeah i thought that too but this isn't really any spin off line of knives, it's the same thing they have online, right down to blade material. I think the price is just Walmart...they're usually dirt cheap on most everything. The Buck i mentioned earlier is also $80 from Buck's website but only $45 at Walmart.

MRGRIMM
07-03-2007, 01:02 AM
yea wal mart could sell 100,000 of them for a penny each and not even notice a drop in profit with all the damn jobs they are forcing out of this country by convincing companies to save money by manufacturing in 3rd world countries so in turn wal mart can buy from them cheaper, and both make more $$ out of the deal while prices the average man pays for small necessities continues to rise, but our pay doesn't because all the idiots in this country willing and happy to work for minimum wage or less, (I need training for a more demanding job!), but nice knives I'll probably stop by wally world and get one hahahaha

85_SS_302_Coupe
07-03-2007, 12:11 PM
Yeah man, if i boycotted Walmart, hell if all of Ohio boycotted Walmart they probably wouldn't notice, so screw it at least i have a nice knife now..lol