PDA

View Full Version : Wow that hurt

Paul408Notch
07-02-2007, 10:44 PM
So I'm at work tonight testing a unit and it's giving me some problems. I shut everything down, open it up, and check things out. Nothing looks like it should be bad, but something's messing up. Odd.

I power it back up, and it's still messing up. Well most problems like this are due to test stand issues, so wiggling the cables obviously makes sense. Grab on, start moving them, arm shoots off of the cable in excruciating pain.

Apparently somebody at one time saw some wires that cracked, and instead of having the wires replaced, just wrapped them in electrical tape. Well the spot I was holding on to must have been pretty worn out, and I caught 270V DC through my hand and out my wrist which was resting on the grounding cart. That may have been one o fthe most painful things I've ever experienced. I'm lucky that didn't kill me. That supply will pump out 20A of current at 270V without breaking a sweat, so it probably could have done a lot more damage than it did.

mustang8998
07-02-2007, 10:48 PM
Damn Paul, you're very lucky. :eek:

Mista Bone
07-03-2007, 02:45 AM
DC across the arms and chest = VERY lucky!!!!!!

I caught two legs of 440v/3 phase in high school across my arms/chest, lucky I was on a ladder and fell away to break the circuit. The flash blinded me and gave a nice "sunburn".......

DC? Screw That!

Pops Fun
07-03-2007, 04:04 AM
Take care... Don't do that again:lol:

Mista Bone
07-03-2007, 05:47 AM
Paul, WTF kind of circuit were you dealing with that had 270 VDC?

Black Horse
07-03-2007, 06:00 AM
Damn Paul, consider yourself lucky. I think I would go stick a roll or three of electrical tape up someone's ass for that.

PonymanfiveO
07-03-2007, 07:26 AM
Vibrator testing is a dangerous job.

lol...glad your ok guy. ;)

dedpedal
07-03-2007, 07:39 AM
Vibrator testing is a dangerous job.

lol...glad your ok guy. ;)

Matt would know all about that.

Im happy that it wasnt worse for you Paul.

bestracing
07-03-2007, 08:32 AM
Ouch, glad your still around to post it up. That could have been much worse.

BigBadStang
07-03-2007, 02:38 PM
damn! DC is some bad shit!
you should go purchase a lottery ticket since your luck is so good right now!
glad to hear you ok though!

Paul408Notch
07-03-2007, 03:05 PM
I'm not looking forward to going into work tonight. It was an equipment malfunction that was the problem, but I know I'm going to have to deal with all kinds of Safety people hovering over me.

DeckerEnt
07-09-2007, 11:37 PM
Better safety people at work than doctors at some hospital. Glad you are OK.
Keith

dedpedal
07-09-2007, 11:44 PM
So what was the final outcome Paul?
I guy I worked with got knocked from a high powered wire when his ladder got too close. He was never quite right after that. i think thats why we got along so well.

Paul408Notch
07-10-2007, 12:13 AM
So what was the final outcome Paul?
I guy I worked with got knocked from a high powered wire when his ladder got too close. He was never quite right after that. i think thats why we got along so well.

It's still being resolved actually. So far they've found that the wiring used in the harness wasn't designed for the extreme temps of our Environmental chambers (-40C to +55C) and it was definitely cracked with exposed conductors.

I feel fine, my right forearm was just really sore for about 3 days. I'm lucky though for sure. I could easily have kicked the bucket if things were even the slightest bit different. They've been really nice to me over the last several days too. It would be nice if I could weasel a raise out of it.

cstreu1026
07-10-2007, 07:13 AM
Sounds to me like they are trying to cover thei asses so they don't get sued.