PDA

View Full Version : SCT Chip

fst 5pto
07-04-2007, 06:29 PM
ok I had a tune done when I had nitrous. I had a switch installed to alt between two tunes. car seems like it doesn't have as much power so after doing a couple other things I figured I would check the timing. shoot the timing light and it looks like I'm only at 7-8. question: if I have a tune, will the timing read correctly with a light or is it all in the computer?

pegasus
07-05-2007, 10:50 AM
what othere things have you done you might need a reburn ,as far as i know a timing light should work

fst 5pto
07-05-2007, 11:38 AM
All I have done is drag springs, control arms, and 4 wheel disc. Nothing to the motor. I dunno if maybe the switch somehow came out? I remember Ken saying if it pulled out it would go back to the nitrous tune, which is obviously less timing.

mustang8998
07-06-2007, 07:04 PM
All I have done is drag springs, control arms, and 4 wheel disc. Nothing to the motor. I dunno if maybe the switch somehow came out? I remember Ken saying if it pulled out it would go back to the nitrous tune, which is obviously less timing.

That shouldn't change your base timing. The timing is taken out, in the computer.

Did you pull out, the spout connector, when you put the light on it?

fst 5pto
07-07-2007, 10:04 AM
That shouldn't change your base timing. The timing is taken out, in the computer.

Did you pull out, the spout connector, when you put the light on it?

Yes I pulled out the spout connector. And what shouldn't change the base timing? When they burned the chip, they put two tunes. One for spray one for NA. There was a switch to alternate between the tunes. Ken told me that if the switch came out, it would default to the nitrous tune, which is less timing. Not sure if thats what you meant by "that shouldn't change your base timing?" Let me know exactly what you mean.

I'm going to check the timing on both tunes today and see if the timing changes. That may clear up something?

95redstang
07-07-2007, 11:28 AM
Yes I pulled out the spout connector. And what shouldn't change the base timing? When they burned the chip, they put two tunes. One for spray one for NA. There was a switch to alternate between the tunes. Ken told me that if the switch came out, it would default to the nitrous tune, which is less timing. Not sure if thats what you meant by "that shouldn't change your base timing?" Let me know exactly what you mean.

I'm going to check the timing on both tunes today and see if the timing changes. That may clear up something?

a friend of mine is having the same issue. He has been trying to reach Ken for the past 2 weeks or more and no return calls.

fst 5pto
07-07-2007, 12:17 PM
a friend of mine is having the same issue. He has been trying to reach Ken for the past 2 weeks or more and no return calls.

But will the timing change with a light if I switch between tunes? Or just internally in the computer?

fst 5pto
07-07-2007, 01:18 PM
ok checked the timing and no difference between tunes. I put it on a number without a tune and it started idling rough. checked the timing there and it was the same. I guess the timing light doesn't work when you have a chip?

347sc
07-07-2007, 01:57 PM
With my old sct chip. My base timing was 10 degrees with spout out. The chips timing is based off the engines 10 degrees.

If you have to pull the chip,set timing to 10 degrees and reinstall the chip.

fst 5pto
07-07-2007, 02:37 PM
With my old sct chip. My base timing was 10 degrees with spout out. The chips timing is based off the engines 10 degrees.

If you have to pull the chip,set timing to 10 degrees and reinstall the chip.

I had it dyno tuned. does that make a difference? I thought they burn the chip with everything correct and it doesn't matter where the distributor is?

347sc
07-07-2007, 04:12 PM
I did too at MD. we set mine at 10

fst 5pto
07-07-2007, 05:30 PM
so pull the chip out and set the timing at ten? is it just a easy pull out?

347sc
07-07-2007, 06:06 PM
Try it with it in first and go from there. Once you pull the spout that take all ecm timing control out of the picture.

fst 5pto
07-08-2007, 10:05 AM
ok thanls for the info. ill let you know how it goes

mustang8998
07-08-2007, 10:56 AM

When you check the timing, with the spout connector unplugged, it removes the computers control. That is your base timing. I believe Ken uses 10* on all tunes. When you plug the connector in, THEN the computer takes control of timing. The default is set to the safest tune (retarded timing), to protect the motor.

Get the base timing set, get the switch fixed and you should be fine.

fst 5pto
07-08-2007, 11:45 AM
I dont think anything is wrong with the switch.... the reason I thought it was at first is because the timing wasnt changing with the timing light.

With the spout connector out, it reads about 7-8. Ill bump it to 10.

Thanks for all the info guys!

5.0calypso93lx
07-08-2007, 12:31 PM
Why don't you try contacting Ken?