PDA

View Full Version : POOP on Time Warner Cable &$%*@!

mach_u
07-07-2007, 08:55 AM
I've had TW for the last 3 or so years at home and my dad and I have used them for work about as long as they have been in Cincinnati (8+ yrs?) and I am about ready to drop them at home! My internet connection has had odd weird issues @ home ever since it went in. Every few months I will get a couple of weeks were it will go down for 50% of the time. I've had 6-10 techs come out, replaced 3 or 4 modems and even had a bucket truck come out and replaced the line from my house to the street because "that's definitely the issue."

Well it has been relatively trouble free for the last 6 months then 2 weeks ago it started going down 50% of the time again so I called another tech out and he informed me that the new line they ran a year ago is RG-6(??) and they should have used RG-11(?) and I am showing a week signal. Ok, cool so it's going to get fixed! Well... He scheduled the bucket truck for the 2nd of this month. So Tuesday rolls around and go to get online and no internet. I leave for work, come home it's still down so I call a tech - which mind you is a pain in the ass because since they "re-organized" their call center I call their Cincinnati office, only to get transfered to the national office, only to get transfered back to the Cincinnati office again! :rolleyes: I get ahold of the technician who informed me that the bucket truck dudes are on flex-time and the 2nd is a tentative date and he can't tell me when they will be there - "Could be Thursday, could be two weeks" but he is going to email dispatch (because that is the only way they can get ahold of them) to expedite the situation and will call me back that evening with more info(never recieved a call back...).

Thursday evening rolls around and Rachel informs me that now we have no internet OR TV (previously had always been Internet only) so I call in and lay into the poor soul that answered the phone and he swears that he is going to get it aranged to have a tech come out to check it out Friday and "will call me back" with more info. FRIDAY rolls around and I hadn't heard from anybody but didn't want to go anywhere incase the tech showed up. Finally by noon I call in and the dude I talk to informs me that the guy I talked to scheduled the tech for Monday and nobody would be out untill then. He then tells me it won't do any good because obviously I need a bucket truck - which he still can't give me a ball park as to when they will be out. He then informs me that he is going to email dispatch to "expedite" the situation :rolleyes: but then told me because each dispatcher deals with aprox. 20 techs each they usually are too busy to read their email!!!!!! I am giving them untill Monday to get this resolved or I am unplugging their equipment, marching up to their offices and shoving each piece right up somebody's ass! I really do not want to go with Zoomtown, because after working on both TW and ZT every single day, there is no question RR is faster but this is just re-damn-diculous! :AR15: I'm about ready to send an email out to our 200 companies they we provide IT services for and give my recommendation to switch. Customer service my mutha fuggin ass! :squirt: TWC!

KB1
07-07-2007, 09:14 AM
I'm going through the exact same thing, week signals, broken promises of "sending" somebody out, rate increases at will, second rate equiptment.
I'm 100% with you!!!!!!!!! & then some.
KB

stroked4eyes
07-07-2007, 09:20 AM
Maybe when and if we pass that law that give us a choice of what cable company we can use....all this shit will stop. It's currently call Senate Bill 117 and needs Stricklands signature to really stick it to TWC. Competition is a good thing...check out this:

http://www.freedomworks.org/informed/issues_template.php?issue_id=2857

Dirtyd0g
07-07-2007, 09:27 AM
I already said screw them, got dsl from cincinnati smell and I'm going to probably go to dish for tv service.
Alan

cstreu1026
07-07-2007, 10:00 AM
Thats why I got rid of TW a year ago. I went through 4 or 5 DVR's. They just died and I would loose everything I had recorded. Not to mention they were EXPENSIVE! I got rid of everything from after 3 tries to get them to lower the rate I was paying. All three times I got the same answer..."you are all ready get a great rate." They didn't care one bit that I was canceling service. Not I have everything through ATT, there customer service is way better, and I am saving about $30/month. It may not be as fast but I can deal with that for the money I am saving and the money I am not giving to time warner.

Holly
07-07-2007, 10:08 AM
Everybody bitches about Time Warner CABLE, there is no way in hell I'd ever switch to that.

Switch to Direct TV (my preference) or Dish.

My mom has Time Warner up at her house and pays $109 a month for it, that doesn't even include internet access. That is ridiculous!

My Direct TV runs me $44.99 a month, with Showtime and Starz included, plus DVR service ($4.99 a month). I have my internet through Zoomtown, NO complaints there, I rarely have trouble with Zoomtown.

04 Venom
07-07-2007, 10:15 AM
Direct TV and Cincinnati Bell for Internet. No complaints.

dedpedal
07-07-2007, 10:16 AM
Ive had zoomtown for a couple years now and havent had any issues at all. Maybe it was the installer doing things right that caused it.

cstreu1026
07-07-2007, 11:05 AM
The only thing I liked more about Time Warner was some of hte functions on their DVR....but considering they kept crashing and dying what good were they?

aangel
07-07-2007, 06:21 PM
I switched to Direct TV last Fall. TW was just way too expensive and their service sucked.

I use AOL dial up, $9.95 a month but I'm canceling it too. I have a laptop with remote and I can tap into connections around me and the remote connection is faster than dialing up. Just have to be be patient sometimes, eventually I'll go with ZT. I can still download and game and it's not that much slower than RR (yeah, it is slow but you learn how to deal with it since it's free!). :D

I don't have any complaints about Direct TV other than when the weather is bad, we do lose our signal but it comes right back. It does piss me off though that right after we got it, they ran the specials with the DVR and movie channels. Our year contract is about up and they better do me right or we'll go with Dish Network (or something)...

PaulFiveOh
07-07-2007, 06:41 PM
If its not resolved by monday AJ, I'll give you a contact to a high level services manager there.

bobtsgt
07-08-2007, 09:48 PM
well damn boy. just cancel them and go zoomtown. We have it and has been great

331TwistedWedge
07-08-2007, 09:52 PM
Time Warner can hug my root as well ... 130.00 a month for roadrunner & cable (hdtv & hbo) this is insane ...

im on one today ...

2-8-1
07-08-2007, 10:03 PM
RG-6 and RG-11 are two cable standards, IIRC RG-11 is technically just thicker cable.

Mista Bone
07-08-2007, 10:15 PM
RG-11 is more suited for "broadband" connections, thicker center core and better shielding.

2-8-1
07-08-2007, 10:27 PM
thats right, i forgot about shielding completely.

REDHOTGTGIRL
07-09-2007, 09:08 AM
Well, they need to do something because going all weekend without TV or internet sucked big donkey balls! I am so F'N pissed! We used to have Zoomtown and their connection was shit at our house, which is why we switched to Time Warner, but apparently that's a problem too. TW customer service is absolutely wretched! We haven't had TV or internet for almost a week now and that is entirely too long! I'm seriously considering finding something else regardless of if they fix it or not. And I am not paying my bill!

Anyone know anything about Embarq? Well, other than their cheesy commercials.

Holly
07-09-2007, 09:28 AM
We used to have Zoomtown and their connection was shit at our house, which is why we switched to Time Warner, but apparently that's a problem too.

We have had Zoomtown since 2001, NEVER a problem, never slow. Yeah, I pay dearly for it ($44 a month) but it's worth it to be able to get on the computers whenever I want, and they are FAST!'

REDHOTGTGIRL
07-09-2007, 09:48 AM
Well TimeWarner isn't any cheaper! I'm just fed up with the lack of customer service and I know AJ is because he's the one who has been on the phone dealing with the asshats. He's already been on the phone with them for an hour today and they still can't tell him when they'll be out, they'll call 30 minutes ahead of time. Hello, we both work full-time! Something is going to change here, I think TW will be out of our house.

mach_u
07-09-2007, 04:54 PM
If its not resolved by monday AJ, I'll give you a contact to a high level services manager there.
If the tech doesn't stop by today like promised I will let you know. I'm about fed up with this whole situation. Zoomtown is fine and all but as Rachel said we did have problems with them and as we don't have Cincy Bell for phone service(we use cell phones) we wouldn't be bundling either. Secondly regardless what anybody says, after working on Zoomtown & RR every week for work RR is WORLDS faster. Also our bill is pretty decent RR, HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, DVD/HDTV, etc. for about $100 a month... We'll just wait and see how the day pans out. It just sucks I have only been online once since Thursday night - and I had to drive to work to do so! :(
PS: :lol: At the subject change on my post.

mach_u
07-09-2007, 06:26 PM
The tech just left my house. I'm back up and running again!!! Turns out some douchebag tech unplugged my line and didn't plug it back in again. 5 days without internet/tv and I could have climbed the damn pole myself to get it up and running!!! What's frustrating is they will advertise same day installation but when it comes to taking care of their existing customers this is the kind of support they offer. I am on the phone with customer service right now trying to get this month's bill written off. It may be too little too late but at least it's a start!

Dirtyd0g
07-09-2007, 07:20 PM
Reason #7008 why I went to zoomtown. FWIW I called them and told them to cancel the appointment because I was going to zoomtown and they offered to be out in 2 hours.....
Alan

nkystanger
07-10-2007, 09:55 AM
Fyi

Time Warner Digital Cable users.

You know that crap magazine you get every month, telling you what new movies are coming out that you can order, you are getting charged $2.99 a month charge for that, it is conviently hidden and not shown on your bill unless you ask.

I went through almost the same trouble last summer, went without internet and cable for 6 days. Called Tw multiple times and had two no show dates from them. Finally someone came out and "plugged" me back in. The idiot technician that came out the week prior unhooked my cable instead of the guy that lives below me(he was moving out). I hate time warner!

aangel
07-10-2007, 12:49 PM
... That's right! I remember reading that on my bill and called to cancel the "channel guide".... 3 bucks for a tv guide? WTH?!!!

... Anyone notice the outrageous charges for call 4-1-1 on Cincy Bell? Something like 4 bucks per call after taxes, surcharges, this that and the other BS charges! THAT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL!

If you really sit and look at your utility bills each month, it's getting more and more outrageous!

nkystanger
07-10-2007, 01:06 PM
... That's right! I remember reading that on my bill and called to cancel the "channel guide".... 3 bucks for a tv guide? WTH?!!!

... Anyone notice the outrageous charges for call 4-1-1 on Cincy Bell? Something like 4 bucks per call after taxes, surcharges, this that and the other BS charges! THAT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL!

If you really sit and look at your utility bills each month, it's getting more and more outrageous!

That's what makes me mad, Time Warner doesnt even show you all the charges. Mine just reads, digital cable package,dvr, internet and hbo with the price all lumped into one sum. No itemization at all.

ewalt
07-10-2007, 11:42 PM
I switched to Direct TV last Fall. TW was just way too expensive and their service sucked.

I use AOL dial up, $9.95 a month but I'm canceling it too. I have a laptop with remote and I can tap into connections around me and the remote connection is faster than dialing up. Just have to be be patient sometimes, eventually I'll go with ZT. I can still download and game and it's not that much slower than RR (yeah, it is slow but you learn how to deal with it since it's free!). :D

I don't have any complaints about Direct TV other than when the weather is bad, we do lose our signal but it comes right back. It does piss me off though that right after we got it, they ran the specials with the DVR and movie channels. Our year contract is about up and they better do me right or we'll go with Dish Network (or something)...

I personally don't care what you do, but I'd be careful about connecting up to someone else's wifi connection, even though they're idiots for leaving it wide open and insecure. I'd especially not talk about it on an online forum or to anyone for that matter really.... It's very illegal. Right up there along the lines of stealing someones cable or connecting up to their phone line to listen to their conversations lol.

http://www.computerworld.com/blogs/node/5563?from=10&comments_per_page=10

mach_u
07-11-2007, 08:09 AM
I personally don't care what you do, but I'd be careful about connecting up to someone else's wifi connection, even though they're idiots for leaving it wide open and insecure. I'd especially not talk about it on an online forum or to anyone for that matter really.... It's very illegal. Right up there along the lines of stealing someones cable or connecting up to their phone line to listen to their conversations lol.

Good article. I need to pass that around to some of our clients. We have several that are utilizing their neighbors wifi. I've been trying to tell them! :rolleyes:

ewalt
07-11-2007, 12:28 PM
Yeah, I personally don't care what people do, no sweat off my back. But everyone should watch out, cause if you do get caught, that's a mess... lol.

It's interesting to see the guy was using free wifi from a place that allows you to knowingly, but as he was doing so from a parking lot that's considered illegal. So image how much trouble you could get in by using someones wifi and them not specifically allowing it......

Of course this is not the first or only time someone has been arrested for using someone else's wifi connection...

aangel
07-11-2007, 12:57 PM

I'm not stealing shit, dude. Get a grip. I turn my computer on and it connects to the Internet... Is that my fault that it's not secured. I don't know where it's coming from or what's up with it...

Are you going to turn me in?

Bite my ass.

Jeezal!!!! :rolleyes:

aangel
07-11-2007, 01:00 PM
Yeah, I personally don't care what people do, no sweat off my back. But everyone should watch out, cause if you do get caught, that's a mess... lol.

It's interesting to see the guy was using free wifi from a place that allows you to knowingly, but as he was doing so from a parking lot that's considered illegal. So image how much trouble you could get in by using someones wifi and them not specifically allowing it......

Of course this is not the first or only time someone has been arrested for using someone else's wifi connection...

How can you be prosecuted for something that I turn my computer on and it's there? I'm not even looking for it? Not my fault people don't know how to work their shit. OH... And good luck proving someone is doing it or catching them doing it????

OH, BTW.... I was just locked out of all WIFI connections...they're all secured now. I'm now on my trusty $9.95 a month DIAL UP.

how's them apples? There I talked about it in an open forum.

I can't believe you said that dude... That amuses me.

aangel
07-11-2007, 01:04 PM
OH GREAT!

I got Union Townshp PD knocking on my door.

Holy Shit....

aangel
07-12-2007, 01:04 AM
Hey, MachU... I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

I also wanted to apologize to all (ewalt) for going off half cocked and being a smart azz about the free WiFi connection issue. It just rubbed me the wrong way, obviously, to be told pretty much that I'm a thief and a crook... Go figure.

After reading the link ewalt posted and the BLOGS, it basically says the same thing I stated (if you read the actual blog rather than the 'article')... For example:

"Pererson...if you did not complete a prior on-line form and was not warned. Appeal the case and ask WHAT FRAUDULENT ACT was commited under the law of Fraudulent access to computers, computer systems, and computer networks" law. Cases can be propaganda meaning it was interpreted wrong as this ocase other cases are based on this oneā€¦ meaning wrong interpretation making it propaganda."

or

"If they can't figure out a way to distribute the WEP key to customers - it is their loss. Maybe they should be sued for broadcasting beyond their property!"

I just think ewalt should have done his homework more thoroughly before replying/posting such a strong accusation. I'll have to poke around the federal and state statutes to see how this "really" applies (I love studying the law and this has my attention).

BUT HEY! Now I know and thanks for the general heads-up. Now I'm dialing in :( I'm going to go to my neighbors on Thursday, find out who has the remote access around me, and get their permission in writing... ;)

331TwistedWedge
07-12-2007, 01:09 AM
hey if you can get your lap top or system working "wireless" go for it ... especially in apt buildings, you'd be car-azy to pay for that shit ...

aangel
07-12-2007, 01:19 AM
Well according to some, it's a criminal act. Go to that link ewalt posted and read through the blogs that were posted. What a joke!

But twisted, you shouldn't have talked about that in a public forum. Big brother is watching, just pay attention who chimes in quoting the "law" and pointing fingers about criminal acts... :rolleyes:

Thursday morning headlines "Clermont County mother of 3 arrested in her home for STEALING WiFi". :lol:

:HYF:

331TwistedWedge
07-12-2007, 01:24 AM
Well according to some, it's a criminal act. Go to that link ewalt posted and read through the blogs that were posted. What a joke!

But twisted, you shouldn't have talked about that in a public forum. Big brother is watching, just pay attention who chimes in quoting the "law" and pointing fingers about criminal acts... :rolleyes:

Thursday morning headlines "Clermont County mother of 3 arrested in her home for STEALING WiFi". :lol:

lol ... well im stuck paying $137+ a month for this bs HDTV / RR / HBO / Skinnemax :lol: ... BUT ~ if i could get it "FREE" im there! ...

if you turn your laptop on & the internet is working ~ it shouldn't be you're fault :bigthumb surf away!

aangel
07-12-2007, 01:58 AM
Right on brother! :bigthumb

Can I get a hell ya? !!!

excuse me, but.....

:flipoff:

02mingryGT
07-12-2007, 07:49 AM

I believe the law was written for "fraudently" getting service ie; illegal hookup to a pay for service. In other words cable or phone line service. Seems to me that if the individual is smart enough this will be thrown out or beaten. If they offer service for free and it goes out over the airways then it is "free". You guys remember I think it was "ON TV"? They went out of business because they were disseminating their service over the airways which was deemed by the courts to be "free". What kills me is the provider, the coffee shop, doesn't want to press charges but the city/county went ahead any way.

mach_u
07-12-2007, 08:52 AM
lol ... well im stuck paying $137+ a month for this bs HDTV / RR / HBO / Skinnemax :lol: ... BUT ~ if i could get it "FREE" im there! ...

if you turn your laptop on & the internet is working ~ it shouldn't be you're fault :bigthumb surf away!
Hate to break it to you but your pc doesn't just "automatically" connect to unsecured wireless lans - you have to hit connect first... If you pay too much for your service, call in and bitch. I do that every 6-12 months and they always drop my bill. If they don't, threaten to cancel and the retension department will. It has worked every time with me. That's the beauty of not being in a contract (i.e. Dish, Directv, etc.) - you do have some power. I pay roughly $100 a month for HBO/Showtime/Cinemax/DVR/HD/Road Runner/etc. There's no way in hell I would catch myself on somebody elses unsecured network - it would be a hackers dream. I know if I ever found somebody stealing my internet(not likely - very secure) I would hack the ever loving crap out of their PC. Do what you want but that's just two cents from a guy that works on computers for a living...

ewalt
07-12-2007, 09:46 AM
I was certainly not trying to call you a theif. I don't care, and I don't have some BS holier-than-thou attitude. The fact is, it is illegal, and mach is right, your computer just doesn't connect without any user intervention. At least the very first time you have to grant it permission.

IANAL, but I doubt any defense of "I didn't know" or "I didn't deliberately connect" will not work. Either way, it's extremely unlikely you'd get caught but they way the world is paranoid about people attacking computer systems (and "hackers") these days, I don't know that I'd be doing it. I have however done it in the past, so I'm not trying to say I'm somehow better than you. But the fact is, people are getting arrested, and they're getting arrested for using a free access point that is open for the general public, but as they were not a customer of that establishment it becomes illegal.

It was just a general heads up anyway. You're welcome to do what you want, just figured you may not know people are getting carted off to jail over it.

EDIT: And for what it's worth, it wouldn't be so much that you're accessing the the signal that is being broadcast over the air... But once you've gone past that you are illegally accessing a computer network or computer "system". Sure you can pick up the signal and since it's open and being broadcast in your vicinity, you could argue that you did nothing illegal. But once you send data over that "private" network you are illegally access a computer network. The private network would likely be considered anything past the wifi and between the customers house and the public network (internet). So that would include the providers network as well, since you were not specifically granted access to that network, that is private as well.

RIXXX93GT
07-12-2007, 03:07 PM
Guys guys, you say hell yea if you can connect on someone elses internet go for it.....come on man. What if everyone decided they wanted to "pirate" some internet access...guess you would have a hard time connecting then huh. Someone is paying for that internet connection Im sure they didnt do it so free loaders could latch onto their signal. Find out whos connection it is and offer to pay for what your using, bet they give you a funny look when you tell them youve been using it for some time now, or maybe you could alternate paying for the monthly bill. I bet you dont like either of those....responsible options huh?

Mista Bone
07-12-2007, 03:58 PM
Get Zoomtown and have access to 350+ "hot spots" or so they advertise, Supposed to be 5 mbps, with is about 600 kbps, plenty fast, I wonder what the upload rate is??

ewalt
07-12-2007, 04:07 PM
Road runner "turbo" is only 10 bucks a month extra and I get 15mbps or about 1800kbps with a download manager. Of course I do a lot of downloading.

But, I have to agree. I have a love-hate relationship with time warner. Usually, if internet service gets dodgy for me, I just run down to the time warner cable office and tell them tech support told me to swap my modem out. But I also have a DVR that is JUNK, and needs swapped out. Recently we had to have a new cable run from the poll to our house cause it was junk. When they scheduled the service guy to come out, he just climbed a ladder and ran new wire himself. Was pretty good since our pole is about 200 feet from our house, and up a hill that when you're on top of it, is actually higher than our house.

But still, they are a pain. When I got the turbo RR, I had a very old modem. I wasn't getting the advertised speeds at all. So I called tech support, talked to both their national guys (some of who are in canada eh) and local guys several times. No one could figure out why it wasn't giving the advertised speed. I suggested to several people that maybe my modem was too old. Nope they claimed, there's no way. So I hauled my butt down to the TWC office anyway, and guess what... When I got their down the freaking service counter LADY knew that my modem was too old for the speed. I couldn't believe she knew that and tech didn't... LAME!!!!

My mom owns a florist and at her store we have ZT. It's fine and hardly gives us any problems, but their tech support/customer service is absolutely no better. The phone bill for the store is over 600 dollars a month with ZT included. We pay about 45 just for that. We went with ZT cause TWC tries to rape business' with the same speeds they give home users they wanted 80 a month with a contract of all things. We just need basic internet access so no reason to pay that much money for more speed. But back to Cincinnati Bell's customer service. We had a phone outage for over 24 hours once. We lost business over it, as 90+% of our business is over the phone. They basically couldn't care less when we called them several times over the issue. At first they said they couldn't get someone out for over 24 hours to our location to troubleshoot. Then they figured out it was a few city blocks that was out. So I'd say overall customer service sucks regardless of what you do. We pay over 600 a month to Cincy Bell and they could care less about us.

aangel
07-12-2007, 04:49 PM
... I bet you dont like either of those....responsible options huh?

How about looking at it a different way, other than being irresponsible? Such strong accusations? I'm not a criminal or a thief or irresponsible, if you read anything...

1) the person having an unsecured connection is being irresponsible for not doing what they supposed to do to protect their connection

2) How about me filing charges against the provider and the person that it's provided to for, say for example, providing an unsecured connection where my child was able to connect to the internet without my knowledge...b/c low and behold there is an unsecured wireless connection?

Just something to think about...

I'm just saying that I didn't know it was a federal crime. AND YES, I turn on my computer and I don't have to search for a connection or anything... It's there. I did nothing to put it there?

Again, now I know and I have asked my neighbors and I have permission to use in writing from them... They don't care, not a big deal to them.

Gene
07-12-2007, 05:13 PM
How about looking at it a different way, other than being irresponsible? Such strong accusations? I'm not a criminal or a thief or irresponsible, if you read anything...

Uh, yeah...actually you are. You're using an internet connection that someone else is paying for without their permission and violating the law. You can sugar coat it all you want, but facts are facts.

1) the person having an unsecured connection is being irresponsible for not doing what they supposed to do to protect their connection

So by that logic, if I leave my car door unlocked it's okay for you to borrow my car without permission? If my front door is unlocked, can you just walk in and sit in my den and watch TV? It doesn't work that way.

2) How about me filing charges against the provider and the person that it's provided to for, say for example, providing an unsecured connection where my child was able to connect to the internet without my knowledge...b/c low and behold there is an unsecured wireless connection?

There is no legal requirement to secure an internet connection. So no, it doesn't work that way.

Just something to think about...

I'm just saying that I didn't know it was a federal crime. AND YES, I turn on my computer and I don't have to search for a connection or anything... It's there. I did nothing to put it there?

Then your computer is configured to automatically detect and connect to a WiFi location. You can turn that function off.

Again, now I know and I have asked my neighbors and I have permission to use in writing from them... They don't care, not a big deal to them.

Then it's all good. But to think that just because someone left it out means it's okay for you to play with it is using a five year old's logic. You can't take what's not yours, regardless of whether it's money, a car, office supplies, or bandwidth.

aangel
07-12-2007, 05:40 PM
Uh, yeah...actually you are. You're using an internet connection that someone else is paying for without their permission and violating the law. You can sugar coat it all you want, but facts are facts.

So by that logic, if I leave my car door unlocked it's okay for you to borrow my car without permission? If my front door is unlocked, can you just walk in and sit in my den and watch TV? It doesn't work that way.

There is no legal requirement to secure an internet connection. So no, it doesn't work that way.

Then your computer is configured to automatically detect and connect to a WiFi location. You can turn that function off.

Then it's all good. But to think that just because someone left it out means it's okay for you to play with it is using a five year old's logic. You can't take what's not yours, regardless of whether it's money, a car, office supplies, or bandwidth.

How about comparing apples to apples, buddy. Or not... To tell someone they're an irresponsible thief criminal is over the top. You're right, I bought the laptop, it's configured I assume, I turn it on and I have a connection. It would never fly in a court of law, it's not a criminal or fraudulent act?

The keys of your car, go into your home, get real...

Well, if you want to be technical if you leave the keys in your car and it gets stolen, you're at fault and your insurance company won't pay you jack or cover your loss... WHY? B/c you left the keys in the car dumbass.

Sugar coated, I don't think so. If you found a $10 bill on the ground and no one was around, would you take it to the police station and report it stolen?

It amazes me how a few of your defend your cause and try to sound almighty and make false accusations about someone's character--that's just not right.

dedpedal
07-12-2007, 06:01 PM
Its starting to smell like the whipping room in here.

aangel
07-12-2007, 06:40 PM
Whip me.

;)

:lol:

Gene
07-12-2007, 07:40 PM
How about comparing apples to apples, buddy. Or not... To tell someone they're an irresponsible thief criminal is over the top. You're right, I bought the laptop, it's configured I assume, I turn it on and I have a connection. It would never fly in a court of law, it's not a criminal or fraudulent act?

Fine. How about it's just the same as if you went over to your neighbor's house, plugged in an extension cord, and used his electricity. Is that apples enough?

The keys of your car, go into your home, get real...

Well, if you want to be technical if you leave the keys in your car and it gets stolen, you're at fault and your insurance company won't pay you jack or cover your loss... WHY? B/c you left the keys in the car dumbass.

Sugar coated, I don't think so. If you found a $10 bill on the ground and no one was around, would you take it to the police station and report it stolen?

It amazes me how a few of your defend your cause and try to sound almighty and make false accusations about someone's character--that's just not right.

You really don't get it, do you? First of all, I didn't say anything about your character. I've used someone else's WiFi before too...BUT, I knew it was wrong and didn't try to pretend that it was somehow morally acceptable because they failed to secure their connection.

The issue isn't the using of the WiFi...in the grand scheme of things it's a pretty small deal. But, the failure to admit that it's wrong or trying to rationalize it is pretty amazing.

aangel
07-13-2007, 07:15 AM
AND YOUR POINT IS WHAT?

Just kidding.

Happy Friday the 13th... Be careful out there.

RIXXX93GT
07-13-2007, 12:23 PM
Couldnt have said it better.

Fine. How about it's just the same as if you went over to your neighbor's house, plugged in an extension cord, and used his electricity. Is that apples enough?

You really don't get it, do you? First of all, I didn't say anything about your character. I've used someone else's WiFi before too...BUT, I knew it was wrong and didn't try to pretend that it was somehow morally acceptable because they failed to secure their connection.

The issue isn't the using of the WiFi...in the grand scheme of things it's a pretty small deal. But, the failure to admit that it's wrong or trying to rationalize it is pretty amazing.

RIXXX93GT
07-13-2007, 12:28 PM
"Well, if you want to be technical if you leave the keys in your car and it gets stolen, you're at fault and your insurance company won't pay you jack or cover your loss... WHY? B/c you left the keys in the car dumbass."

I think the point is that it is "his" keys, "his" car and "his" insurance. "HIS" internet connection is just that...his...not yours.