PDA

View Full Version : So you say your car is stock????

331TwistedWedge
07-08-2007, 08:23 PM
my biggest gripe is when someone claims to have a stock car :confused: they claim their cars run 10's & 11's, yet they say (i) have a stock block or (my) car is stock ... so lets get this shit clear ...

- if you have added a supercharger, nitrous or turbo (you are NO longer stock)
- if you have changed heads, intake and cam (you are NO longer stock)
- if you have spent $5000.00 on suspension parts, gears, k&n filter and your car is gutted (guess what) ~ (you are NO longer stock)!!!

i just read sooo many times, people claiming (i) have a stock ass car, well no you dont ~ unless your car is running the same way as it rolled off the assembly line! ... buying gears, k&n filter, exhaust, headers, plug wires & etc. adds up after a while ... the next thing you know ~ you have thousands wrapped up in that "stock" car of yours ...

when you are ripping off times in the 10's trapping 120+ ~ im sorry you are no longer stock! ... what did the horsepower Gods, wave a magic wand and bless your car into the 10's (STOCK) ... i dont think so!

so if you've popped that valve cover, added that turbo or had that block bored ~ your ass is NOT stock! ...

87-93 fox bodies are rated at 225/300 (to the crank) about 184 to the wheels ... i guess you are running 10s? ... please ...

who else is stock?

Silver Bullet
07-08-2007, 09:28 PM
Sounds like a rant! LOL

I'm stock... wanna race!:D

331TwistedWedge
07-08-2007, 09:30 PM
Sounds like a rant! LOL

I'm stock... wanna race!:D

lol ... yes a rant ... its just funny hearing how people are so "Stock" flying around with 10/11 second time slips ... i dont know about you, but i spent a few bucks to nail down some mid 11's :bigthumb

Silver Bullet
07-08-2007, 09:41 PM
Yep, $$$$ spent. I never had the luck others did... of course I tried to keep everything on the car... ac, power this and power that....

Now I say if you remove some weight and some suspen. mods.... you could be considered stock.

I still have power windows/locks, and so far even power steering, but I'm trying to shed a few pounds by the time it comes back out... ;)

Silver Bullet
07-08-2007, 09:43 PM
:D I was looking at your avatar also... I still have the 5.0 on the side of my car, so I'm way closer to stock than you are!:lol:

5.0calypso93lx
07-08-2007, 09:45 PM
I know my car's not stock, but I consider my motor to be a stock rebuilt motor, which it is. It was bored .030 over though, but that was to get the cylinders round again, and the builder even used stock type hyperjunk pistons. I've still got stock cam, intake, and heads.

331TwistedWedge
07-08-2007, 09:46 PM
i few mods would be ok ... weight reduction i can see ... but spraying a car or throwing a turbo on a stock motor is a bit much ... i was on the corral and all i see is a bunch of stock cars :lol: ... 10.90's at 125 ... plz ...

so i brought my rant to the bangerz ... people are a trip ... lmao ...

i think the quickest i ever got a stock mustang (87 speed density) was 13.05 at 105 ... but i took out a seat ... full exhaust, gears, intake, suspension & etc. etc. ~ so was i really stock? ... not really ... that shit costs money $$$$$ ... i dont know, but its funny what some people consider stock ...

331TwistedWedge
07-08-2007, 09:47 PM
I know my car's not stock, but I consider my motor to be a stock rebuilt motor, which it is. It was bored .030 over though, but that was to get the cylinders round again, and the builder even used stock type hyperjunk pistons. I've still got stock cam, intake, and heads.

now thats stock ... thats what im talking about :bigthumb

5.0calypso93lx
07-08-2007, 09:48 PM
now thats stock ... thats what im talking about :bigthumb

I hate that too though, guys goin' around sayin' they got a "stock" car.

YouGotJunk
07-09-2007, 12:02 AM
my shit is stock...everything on my car is in "stock" somewhere!!!

Walter
07-09-2007, 12:04 AM
Stock here.

12seclx
07-09-2007, 12:21 AM
Sometimes I feel that I'm not stock but there's a lot more stock
on my car than what's not stock so sometimes I get carried away...
(as far as the engine goes....) everyone around here cries and
likes to think that my k-member and a-arms add a magical 20 hp. :nono:

I think I lost 43-48 lbs.... can't remember which... but the weight
difference helps and if the car pulls a better sixty foot time.. then I
can see the reasoning behind their thinking...

maybe additional weight with coil-overs... oh, I also have a 9 yr.
old technology speedbrain computer... :cool2:

I always try to get the locals to sell their milled and ported gt-40's, anderson cams, tfs/edelbrock intake, rocker arms, and put that money towards a
k-member and a-arms, computer/chip, and try going to the track, shiftin'
their cars at 5,300 rpm's... :D

I think they would be in for a rude awakening....
But, maybe they would surprise me... :)

Gene
07-09-2007, 01:46 AM
Mine's stock heads, cam, intake, k-member, etc, and it ran really low 12s...probably could have been in the 11s with a better driver. ;)

YouGotJunk
07-09-2007, 06:29 AM
Yeah...we all know about those Factory stock cars...and we all know that every single one of them have to have something of there sleeve...just noone wants to call them out on it. How many cars around here that fit in the factory stock guidelines and run what those cars do???? You guys might full the tech..and i'm sure there's going to be alot to disagree...but there's alotttttt of those guys that have little "secrets" I promise!!!

dedpedal
07-09-2007, 07:46 AM
Less secrets than you think Rob.

Gene
07-09-2007, 08:30 AM
Less secrets than you think Rob.

Exactly. FS is pretty well policed. You can't get away with much.

331TwistedWedge
07-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Exactly. FS is pretty well policed. You can't get away with much.

300 hp / 350 tq to the wheels is a far stretch from stock ... i know this car ;)

Brandon Alsept
07-09-2007, 01:26 PM
Yeah...we all know about those Factory stock cars...and we all know that every single one of them have to have something of there sleeve...just noone wants to call them out on it. How many cars around here that fit in the factory stock guidelines and run what those cars do???? You guys might full the tech..and i'm sure there's going to be alot to disagree...but there's alotttttt of those guys that have little "secrets" I promise!!!

LOL you know that is funny. I helped out with a F/S car last year and this year. We even went threw a complete engine teardown in tech @ Bowling Green last year. 100% legal, there are no secrets that you imply. The car has to weigh a certain amount, run a spec fuel and have engine rules. He has ran 11.40s this year with that car.

But, I would like you to point out the "little secrets" you speak of to us.

85_SS_302_Coupe
07-09-2007, 01:33 PM
300 hp / 350 tq to the wheels is a far stretch from stock ... i know this car ;)

That's high 11 second potential in a 2800lb car.

My car is *mostly* stock :D

85_SS_302_Coupe
07-09-2007, 01:36 PM
LOL you know that is funny. I helped out with a F/S car last year and this year. We even went threw a complete engine teardown in tech @ Bowling Green last year. 100% legal, there are no secrets that you imply. The car has to weigh a certain amount, run a spec fuel and have engine rules. He has ran 11.40s this year with that car.

I've heard of tricks like getting as many "stock" cams as you can get your hands on and degreeing them all to find the ones that have the better specs, since there was actually a good bit of difference from one cam to the next when they were made. :confused:

I'm sure that could potentially be done with any part on an engine and if you flowed enough heads and degreed enough cams, eventually you would come across a combo that makes significant power over other "stock" parts, no?

331TwistedWedge
07-09-2007, 01:37 PM
when i went on this rant, i was referring to (a select few) on another website ... i was cracking up at how stock they made their cars sound ... turbos, nitrous & superchargers is a far cry from stock ... yes your bottom end is stock, but the heads, cam & intake isn't ... people trapping 120+ don't have stock cars, they weren't blessed from the car gods ...

when i think of a stock car, its something fresh from the assembly line ... maybe a gear and some flo's :bigthumb

85_SS_302_Coupe
07-09-2007, 01:42 PM
I'm always specific when i describe how stock mine is. I mean let's face it my car runs 14.20s, there's not much to lie about...lol But i know where you're coming from. People say yeah i've got stock heads and blah blah, but they never mentioned the 1.90 valves and port work in their stock heads.

You could really build a nasty high compression 302, maybe with a little stroke, port the hell out of the stock heads and even the intake, and just run a stock cam so it *sounds* stock, and from looking at the engine you'd never know the difference. I guess that's what the tear downs are for.

331TwistedWedge
07-09-2007, 01:46 PM
That's high 11 second potential in a 2800lb car.

My car is *mostly* stock :D

Stock Foxbody Cars (87-93):

- E7TE factory heads (no gt40p heads)
- factory intake (no explorer)
- factory cam (.444 lift)
- factory exhaust (no flo's)
- factory 2.73 or 3.08 gear
- factory stamped rockers
- 19lb injectors
- air silencer / motorcraft air filter
- timing set at 10 degrees
- fuel pressure untouched
- no electric fan
- converters (yes all 20 of them sob's that come from the factory) :D
- headers

i could go on and on ... if you touch all of these, yes you will gain @100+ horsepower ~ but then you're NOT stock!

stock is stock, we all know what that means!

factory stock is using the best parts that ford has put out and making the best combo available (gt 40 heads, p heads, cobra intake, explorer intake, etc. etc.)... you're taking a 302 engine and maxing it at 308 / 310 :confused: i believe now you can change the cam, correct me if im wrong ...

again, when im talking stock ~ its that cherry you just got back in the late 80's and early 90's (thinking you were cool:cool1: ) and trapping 90 mph :lol: now thats stock as a rock ...

331TwistedWedge
07-09-2007, 01:47 PM
I'm always specific when i describe how stock mine is. I mean let's face it my car runs 14.20s, there's not much to lie about...lol But i know where you're coming from. People say yeah i've got stock heads and blah blah, but they never mentioned the 1.90 valves and port work in their stock heads.

You could really build a nasty high compression 302, maybe with a little stroke, port the hell out of the stock heads and even the intake, and just run a stock cam so it *sounds* stock, and from looking at the engine you'd never know the difference. I guess that's what the tear downs are for.

exactly :bigthumb ... everyone wants to act like they have NO money in their cars, but run 9's ...

YouGotJunk
07-09-2007, 01:49 PM

Believe me...If I knew...you'd all be in trouble cause i'd take my STOCK car running 11.40's and spray that bitch and run some low 10's. All I'm saying...is there's something alot of people must not know...cause around here...it takes atleast heads/cam/intake..plus good suspension to do it. You guys just keep on doing what your doing...and we'll keep wondering what your hiding...I gaurantee i'm not the only one that thinks this way...i'm just the only one to bring it up, lol:bigthumb

331TwistedWedge
07-09-2007, 01:49 PM
again, when im talking stock ~ its that cherry you just got back in the late 80's and early 90's (thinking you were cool:cool1: ) and trapping 90 mph :lol: now thats stock as a rock ...

~ and yes i thought i was one of those cool guys back in the day with a fast car, until i went to E20 and busted out a 15.90 @90 mph :lol:

automatic / 2.73 gear, man it was ugly ...

85_SS_302_Coupe
07-09-2007, 01:51 PM
exactly :bigthumb ... everyone wants to act like they have NO money in their cars, but run 9's ...

Hell i've got over 4k in mine and only run 14s..lol But then, i haven't put much of that into the engine either and 2k of it was to put the Tremec in so...

331TwistedWedge
07-09-2007, 01:53 PM
at least this thread woke up ... about damn time! ... all i see is arguments about, "i have $25.00 in this engine and i run 10's" ... plz ... im sick of hearing it ... man up and say, "yes i spent 3000.00 on my shortblock" ~ i know i did! ... why lie?

331TwistedWedge
07-09-2007, 01:58 PM
this is what happens when you're job hunting, you start rants ... :lol: ... im friggin' bored!

85_SS_302_Coupe
07-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Yeah it's pretty stupid really. If you know anything about cars in general...let alone knowing a LOT about Mustangs like most people on here do....then you know damn well what the car is going to run if it's bone stock. I've heard stock 5.0s can run 13.90s but i have yet to ever see it. I'm by no means the best driver out there so i'm sure my car is faster than *I* can get it, but even with all i've got on my car i'm still nowhere near that 13.90 i hear others running.

85_SS_302_Coupe
this is what happens when you're job hunting, you start rants ... :lol: ... im friggin' bored!

You too huh? :lol:

Brandon Alsept
Believe me...If I knew...you'd all be in trouble cause i'd take my STOCK car running 11.40's and spray that bitch and run some low 10's. All I'm saying...is there's something alot of people must not know...cause around here...it takes atleast heads/cam/intake..plus good suspension to do it. You guys just keep on doing what your doing...and we'll keep wondering what your hiding...I gaurantee i'm not the only one that thinks this way...i'm just the only one to bring it up, lol:bigthumb

OK so you are basically saying we are hiding stuff? I will arrange for the car to be at a certain place for you to look at and find all the stuff we are "hiding":lol:

331TwistedWedge
07-09-2007, 02:11 PM
back in 2003 i bought robbies (yougotjunk's) old 1987 mustang (speed density) i wanted to see how fast i could get the car to run without changing anything on that 187k mile engine ... i managed to get it down to a 13.05 @105 ... i probably could have lightened the car more & a bit more suspension work ~ but im guessing i would have hit 12.80's @ 107 or so MAX! ... now with gt40p heads, cam swap, a better flowing cobra intake, rockers, pushrods etc. etc. - i could see hitting a low 12 ... shaving another 1/2 second or more to be competitive in factory stock ~ i dont think i could do it ... well maybe with help from the dedpedal crew :bigthumb

somewhere along the line, i still think you need your compression bumped or something ported? ... but what do i know?????

85_SS_302_Coupe
07-09-2007, 02:14 PM
When they do a tear down on these engines, do they check for things like milling the heads down to bump compression? Also are you allowed to run ligher valves and stuff like that? ALSO i thought they were allowed to have an aftermarket cam as long as it was made to stock specs? That may not make a difference, i'm just curious.

Brandon Alsept
07-09-2007, 02:43 PM
When they do a tear down on these engines, do they check for things like milling the heads down to bump compression? Also are you allowed to run ligher valves and stuff like that? ALSO i thought they were allowed to have an aftermarket cam as long as it was made to stock specs? That may not make a difference, i'm just curious.

They check to see if everything is within there rules. There are a MIN CC for teh chamber they CC it there. There is a max valve size and material rule, they have to be flat top pistons. The cams are now open to your choice except with a 4V, you have to run stock lift but duration is wide open.

85_SS_302_Coupe
07-09-2007, 02:52 PM
So that definitely opens the door to the person/team who knows how to squeeze power out of a combo by tweaking the little things. I don't think i'd say you guys cheat or anything but there's definitely a lot to be said about engine building experience and probably more so about tuning experience, so "tricks up your sleeve" i'd say hell yeah but that's racing right? As long as you're within the rules, that's just called winning.

Ryan218
07-09-2007, 03:09 PM
my car was stock...till i got it :d

YouGotJunk
07-09-2007, 03:41 PM
OK so you are basically saying we are hiding stuff? I will arrange for the car to be at a certain place for you to look at and find all the stuff we are "hiding":lol:

nah I'll pass...it dont mean that much to me to even worry about it. Im' just simply stating my opinion and that is that I think there are some things the tech guys overlook on all the cars and Im with Rick...with enough port work and so on...yeah it can probably be done...but who knows...who cares...Carry on!!

IWRBB
07-09-2007, 04:36 PM
I've heard of tricks like getting as many "stock" cams as you can get your hands on and degreeing them all to find the ones that have the better specs, since there was actually a good bit of difference from one cam to the next when they were made. :confused:

I'm sure that could potentially be done with any part on an engine and if you flowed enough heads and degreed enough cams, eventually you would come across a combo that makes significant power over other "stock" parts, no?

Hell, I just read some stuff about guys doing pretty much just that with 4V mod motor castings. They went through a bunch of stock castings to find the ones that flowed best.

Gene
07-09-2007, 04:47 PM

How is that a "trick"? That's pretty much standard operating procedure for blueprinting an engine. It's still using off the shelf OEM Ford components.

85_SS_302_Coupe
07-09-2007, 05:01 PM
How is that a "trick"? That's pretty much standard operating procedure for blueprinting an engine. It's still using off the shelf OEM Ford components.

Well not a trick in the sense that it's cheating or anything dirty, just more like playing the cards you're dealt i guess. Still, lets say you have 2 guys with two '90 Mustangs that are otherwise exactly the same and totally bone stock, except for guy A has done the above routine and sorted through gobs of parts to find the optimum parts....he's obviously going to run significantly better than guy B even though they're both "stock". Now is that cheating? No not at all, because however unlikely it might be, those parts could have all fallen together on the assembly line which would give car A a tad more power than car B, but it is still tweaking things while staying within the technical aspects of the rules.

Call it doing your homework, smart engine building, whatever...i think it's still 'stock' but there's definitely more to it than 'stock' if that makes any sense. It's almost like breeding for hp or something...lol The end result is obviously better than 'stock' or people wouldn't go through all the hassle of doing it right?

Gene
07-09-2007, 05:10 PM
And that's why my (ex-)FS car has an engine that cost quite a bit of money at BES despite it being "stock".

YouGotJunk
07-09-2007, 06:03 PM
Bingo!

331TwistedWedge
07-09-2007, 06:05 PM
Bingo!

you are killing me on the other board ... you have those dayton guys mad as hell :mad: :lol:

just tell them: One Thousand Three Hundred & Twenty Feet! :lol:

bcoh5gt
07-09-2007, 06:22 PM
"Quote" when i think of a stock car, its something fresh from the assembly line ... maybe a gear and some flo's

Hey Rick, that is my car. Well gears and Mac's & it goes 7's ha. So mine is stock

bcoh5gt
07-09-2007, 06:23 PM
LMAO!!!! in the 1/8th JFWY

331TwistedWedge
07-09-2007, 06:25 PM
true ... hey what about a 03/04 cobra ~ all i have is a pulley and a tune = high 11's ... lol ... these cars are getting faster by the day ... i had to earn my first 13, it took some $$$$$

bcoh5gt
07-09-2007, 07:34 PM
true ... hey what about a 03/04 cobra ~ all i have is a pulley and a tune = high 11's ... lol ... these cars are getting faster by the day ... i had to earn my first 13, it took some $$$$$

No shit, I've been tryin to get out of the 13's my whole life. I'll never have a fast car. Oh but wait what is a fast car?? If you cant run high 9's or low 10's you might as well stay off the street. But I'm with you on that whole " my car is stock B/S"

85_SS_302_Coupe
07-09-2007, 09:50 PM
No shit, I've been tryin to get out of the 13's my whole life. I'll never have a fast car. Oh but wait what is a fast car?? If you cant run high 9's or low 10's you might as well stay off the street. But I'm with you on that whole " my car is stock B/S"

Yeah i once asked Travis back when Speedfreaks was open why he didn't have a badass Mustang for a daily driver...he said it's a waste of time for him to drive anything slower than a 10 second daily driver because everybody wanted to race him so he just drove a slow truck..lol.

bcoh5gt
07-09-2007, 10:05 PM
Yeah i once asked Travis back when Speedfreaks was open why he didn't have a badass Mustang for a daily driver...he said it's a waste of time for him to drive anything slower than a 10 second daily driver because everybody wanted to race him so he just drove a slow truck..lol.

That sounds like something Travis would say.:lol:

92coupe
07-09-2007, 10:23 PM
You know Rick i'm not gonna argue with you i can tell you know when a car has been modified., But as far as i can tell my car is all Stock.

85_SS_302_Coupe
07-09-2007, 10:30 PM
That sounds like something Travis would say.:lol:

Yeah i was bustin his balls one day because he drove that big white Dodge....he said too many people around here know me so unless i drive something super fast i'll never hear the end of it if someone beats me.

But then he got an SRT4? :confused: :lol:

Greg Seibert
07-09-2007, 11:56 PM
You're right, I've heard of those tricks. Other ones was guys would weigh a whole bunch of connecting rods, and pick out the best set of eight, recurve the advance, rejett the carbs, multi-angle the valves, trickout the pushrod lengths and rockers for more lift, use steel shim head gaskets for a tad more compression etc... You could shave off two and a half seconds on a stock appearing setup with those undetectable mods.
I always liked the guys who couldn't idle under 2500 RPM and claim they had a stock cam.:lol:

Rustanggt98
07-10-2007, 12:16 AM
All I'm saying...is there's something alot of people must not know...cause around here...it takes atleast heads/cam/intake..plus good suspension to do it.

hmmmm... or maybe a quote from you "BINGO"

:cool1:

And pretty soon we'll see just what a set of unported 2V heads can do......

Drivermod
07-10-2007, 03:10 PM
Factory Stock is just a name guys. There isn't mush that isn't touched on a good running car in that class.

My 97 had a $800 PI 2V engine in it internally stock that ran high 11's naturally aspirated. The rest of the car was highly modified but the engine itself was untouched from intake to oilpan. I know that car just pissed you off Ricky:tongue2:

331TwistedWedge
07-10-2007, 03:19 PM
Factory Stock is just a name guys. There isn't mush that isn't touched on a good running car in that class.

My 97 had a $800 PI 2V engine in it internally stock that ran high 11's naturally aspirated. The rest of the car was highly modified but the engine itself was untouched from intake to oilpan. I know that car just pissed you off Ricky:tongue2:

lmao, that car was insane ... i've never seen anything like it ... just goes to show you, weight kills & a great suspension can take you a long way :bigthumb

did you sell that car?

Da Natti
07-10-2007, 04:20 PM
i think if you never cracked open oil pan or valve covers your stock engine! even with a turbo or nitrous or a blower to run 10 your on borrowed time! my turbo v6 mustang i have never done anything except go 2 degree colder on the plugs and gapped them smaller and bigger injectors! like i tell my friend i slapped a bunch of junk had lying around building a turbo kit! what hold s it together is your tune! so am i wrong for when people ask, it is stock with a turbo kit i built!!!

Drivermod
07-11-2007, 06:28 AM
lmao, that car was insane ... i've never seen anything like it ... just goes to show you, weight kills & a great suspension can take you a long way :bigthumb

did you sell that car?

Yep, it's gone

pegasus
07-11-2007, 12:08 PM
im running 17s (bad tranny) with a mooded car may be i should go back to stock

93cobra
07-31-2007, 11:36 AM
I don't care how "stock" the motors are in the F/S cars "with in the rule books" thats all fine & dandy ..the class is what it is...cool "But"....the cars as a whole are still far from stock (a set of bogart wheels alone are not stock) which is what this whole conversation is about.

I used to race stock & modified classes growing up over the years down at the Loretta Lynn Motocross Nationals in TN once a year and if you entered the "stock 85cc, 125 A, B, or C cc, 250 A, B, or C cc etc..class" & you were literally "stock" down to the grips on the handlebars. The only thing you could change is the tires on your rims between practice / motos etc & you were free to run whatever engine, suspension, cooling fluids you wanted etc..

That was "stock" racing....if you were 20 lbs heavier than the rider next to you...but were in the same age class...tuff...go on a diet or you better hold the gas on longer into the turn....

331TwistedWedge
07-31-2007, 12:06 PM
LMAO, i remember this post ... i was on a good rant that day ...