PDA

View Full Version : New Boeing 787

BigBadStang
07-09-2007, 02:54 PM
i know there are a few of you in the aircraft industry.
i just seen this press on the new 787, and i would really like to hear what the people in the industry think of it.

CLICK HERE (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,288559,00.html)

it looks like the nose is more streamlined than the other models.

RACEME
07-10-2007, 06:12 AM
They just keeping getting bigger and bigger. They told us yesterday that the first build serial number to be shipped is #10. That means the first 9 were for R&D at about $150 million each. Ouch! I have done alot of fixtures for the genx-1b engine for those things, and they are LARGE! It is a big switch to work with those and then switch to the new engine for the Honda private jet. You can pretty much carry one of those in a wheel barrel.

DSSKing68
07-10-2007, 06:30 AM
Hey Tim, who do you work for? We (General Tool Company) in Reading are doing all of the pylons and test fixtures for testing the 787 GEnx's. Like you said, big honkin' Mofo's.

There are six being used for the flight test program, so I am not sure where the other 3 are disappearing to. Maybe they are being used for non-flight static and systems testing. I found it interesting that the engineers have discovered it is more economical to do away with pnuematics from the engines for anti-icing,starting and air conditioning. They are using electric for everything, better fuel economy than dumping bleed air from the engines. A total departure from what they have used for the last umpteen years on turbine engines.

What Boeing calls a “more electric architecture” for the 787 primarily involves the use of much larger starter generators than were possible in years past. Each engine on the 787 sports two 250 kVA variable frequency starter generators from Hamilton Sundstrand. As their name suggests, these generators not only start the engines but also provide power for other systems during flight. A 767, by contrast, sports a single 120 kVA generator.

Boeing’s ability to pack so much power on the plane, which also has two 125 kVA generators in its auxiliary power unit, comes down to the ongoing power density improvements taking place in general industry. Hinderberger says the two 250 kVA generators on the 787 take up just a little more space than the single 120 kVA generator used on the 767 15 years ago. “Fifteen years ago, if you said ‘let's do two 250's instead of one 120,’ it would have been impossible,” he says.

Pops Fun
07-10-2007, 06:44 AM
We just finished blowing up 001 at Peebles last week. Can't have anymore fun than that..:D.. My last one though. :confused:

Pops

RACEME
07-10-2007, 09:09 AM
Mark, I work for CDI Aerospace. We do mostly assemble/dissassemble and checking fixtures.

I wish I worked at peebles. That test facility is awesome.

DSSKing68
07-10-2007, 10:01 AM
Mark, I work for CDI Aerospace. We do mostly assemble/dissassemble and checking fixtures.

I wish I worked at peebles. That test facility is awesome.

A little birdie told me Peebles will be hiring soon!

RACEME
07-10-2007, 10:04 AM
A little birdie told me Peebles will be hiring soon!

Unfortunely I live too far away to look into it. It sure would be cool if your job was to find new ways to destroy millions and millions of dollars worth of engines.