PDA

View Full Version : ccw

carriep
07-09-2007, 11:53 PM
I took my concealed carry on Sat. It was very interesting. I will probably never carry but if I do ill be legal. The only thing that happened was I had a shell casing go down my shirt, needless to say the shirt almost came off. Thank god I got it out. Carrie

DeckerEnt
07-09-2007, 11:59 PM
Congrats!! It is not the fact that you carry, but that you could be. Crime drops in every state that offers permits. Got mine here in Ky.
Keith

Mista Bone
07-10-2007, 04:50 AM
I do suggest that if you plan to carry out of state, make sure what states and CITIES will honor your CCW.

i.e., Don't try to carry in Chicago, NO CCW allowed.

I plan on getting mine after I can find a school that fits my job schedule.

mach_u
07-10-2007, 07:55 AM
Now there's a scary thought! :jawdrop:

Walter
07-10-2007, 08:10 AM
I do suggest that if you plan to carry out of state, make sure what states and CITIES will honor your CCW.

You mean no CCW in Illinois.

Pops Fun
07-10-2007, 08:32 AM
Hi
Got mine and carry once in a while. Still trying to find a comfortable holster... :) My wife and daughter are talking about going, just to have the experience and feel more comfortable with weapons. My wife really surprised me on that one.

Steve

mustangrfast88
07-10-2007, 09:17 AM
i want to get mine where do you find out where you can take the class

85_SS_302_Coupe
07-10-2007, 10:03 AM
Congrats. It's like they say, it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

DeckerEnt
07-10-2007, 11:08 AM
As far as info, go to any gun store. They will usually have all the info for you.
Keith

Pops Fun
07-10-2007, 11:08 AM

I took mine at target world

http://www.targetworld.net/training.htm#CONCEALED

Mista Bone
07-10-2007, 02:56 PM
You mean no CCW in Illinois.

That I don't know, just remember the story last week where a TN woman with CCW got busted at a metal detector at Sears building. A felony if convicted, she'd lose the right to carry. But it was her responsibility to know the CCW laws of each state before traveling.

Myself, I wouldn't carry on person much if ever, but having one in the car is more likely. My nightly route I used to go up Glenway Ave. from the begining of it.

Let me tell you, it was a jungle! Current route I go up Queen City, it's not so bad once your above Fairmount.

Walter
07-10-2007, 03:15 PM
That I don't know, just remember the story last week where a TN woman with CCW got busted at a metal detector at Sears building. A felony if convicted, she'd lose the right to carry. But it was her responsibility to know the CCW laws of each state before traveling.

Myself, I wouldn't carry on person much if ever, but having one in the car is more likely. My nightly route I used to go up Glenway Ave. from the begining of it.

Let me tell you, it was a jungle! Current route I go up Queen City, it's not so bad once your above Fairmount.

CCW rights are denied in IL, WI, NE and KS.

Walter
07-10-2007, 03:17 PM
All you need to know!

http://www.packing.org/

carriep
07-10-2007, 03:18 PM

I did mine at the preble county fair grounds. It was $90 and took 12 hrs. If you want more info let me know. Carrie

ponymom05
07-10-2007, 04:19 PM
I'm going to do mine at Shooter's. It is an 8 hour day instead of 12, not sure of exact price. I just can't seem to get on their schedule. They do the 1st Sat. of the month, which is my visitation with my granddaughter. They have recently added a Sat. mid-month, but so far it seems to always be a race day. I'll probably wait until Fall.

Congrats Carrie!

Grimace5.0
07-10-2007, 06:07 PM
Something else to keep in mind, alot of stores/companies now have signs up stating "no firearms, knives or destructive devices". This overrules your CCW permit and you can not carry in those places. One place I know of for example in Ohio is the rest stops on I-90.

mustang8998
07-10-2007, 06:47 PM
...I The only thing that happened was I had a shell casing go down my shirt, needless to say the shirt almost came off... Carrie

Wanna go shooting sometime? :wave:

carriep
07-10-2007, 06:54 PM
Wanna go shooting sometime? :wave:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

mustang8998
07-10-2007, 07:21 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Couldn't resist! :bigthumb

DeckerEnt
07-10-2007, 10:58 PM
Something else to keep in mind, alot of stores/companies now have signs up stating "no firearms, knives or destructive devices". This overrules your CCW permit and you can not carry in those places. One place I know of for example in Ohio is the rest stops on I-90.

Places that put up that sign un knowingly are guaranteeing your safety. If the place ever gets robbed, like a robber reads signs, and you get hurt, you can sue and it has already been done. You will win.
I had a switch blade knife once while I was bowling. It was covered by my shirt untill I threw the ball. Before I finished the game, an Erlanger cop walked up to me, ordered my hands up, took the knife. I showed him my permit and he handed the knife and my permit back to me and said, "Thewhole point of conceal and carry is conceal"
If noone can see it, they can't say anything.
When I delivered pizza, I carried everywhere. Even to the airport. I was kind of scared at first but I did it so many times, I never thinkabout it any more.
Keith

Black92LX
07-10-2007, 10:58 PM

Glad I don't have to worry about all that crap! No one should CCW should be legal pretty much everywhere for everyone that can own a firearm.

But ohh well. Come next month I will be packing in NYC for the first time:bigthumb

ewalt
07-10-2007, 11:16 PM

Can't carry in ANY government building in Ohio.... So a rest stop would certainly qualify as a state building..... I-90 or I-75, all are illegal by default even if they have no sign. Also as a note, you can very well carry in TN (with a valid ohio license), not sure why some lady is getting arrested for carrying in the sears....

A q. for black... In Ohio I (we) can't carry in a bar, drinking or not. We can't even carry in a place that serves alcohol. In fact it's sorta iffy reading the law if we can carry in a place that sells alcohol with a D permit regardless of if it's for on site consumption or not. Basically krogers has to have a D permit to sell on sunday here. Anyway, what's the law in KY? Can I carry in a bar if I'm not drinking at all? Or more importantly since it's unlikely I'll go to a straight bar and not drink, can I carry in a restaurant that has a bar or serves beer if, I'm not drinking? In Ohio I can't even walk into an applebees carrying if I'm NOT drinking..... :mad:

Black92LX
07-11-2007, 12:18 AM
Can't carry in ANY government building in Ohio.... So a rest stop would certainly qualify as a state building..... I-90 or I-75, all are illegal by default even if they have no sign. Also as a note, you can very well carry in TN (with a valid ohio license), not sure why some lady is getting arrested for carrying in the sears....

A q. for black... In Ohio I (we) can't carry in a bar, drinking or not. We can't even carry in a place that serves alcohol. In fact it's sorta iffy reading the law if we can carry in a place that sells alcohol with a D permit regardless of if it's for on site consumption or not. Basically krogers has to have a D permit to sell on sunday here. Anyway, what's the law in KY? Can I carry in a bar if I'm not drinking at all? Or more importantly since it's unlikely I'll go to a straight bar and not drink, can I carry in a restaurant that has a bar or serves beer if, I'm not drinking? In Ohio I can't even walk into an applebees carrying if I'm NOT drinking..... :mad:

No you can't carry in a bar. The rule here is if the establishment make 51% or more of their revenue from alcohol one can't carry in that establishment.

Stupid law in my opinon. Well pretty much all gun control is stupid in my opinion.

Though concealed means concealed, right?

Mista Bone
07-11-2007, 01:59 AM
The job I applied for tonight (resume via internet) is for a bank receipt courier. I know I wouldn't be allowed in most banks carrying, but some crackhead sees you come out with a bag, they gonna try to get it.....even if what is inside is useless.

Also, BEWARE that someone in the local area wasn't giving full classroom instruction, ended up everyone who took his school is gonna get their CCW permit revoked.

I don't like Target World since Hugh sold it, but reading the classroom criteria, I'll likely go there........I can even fit it into my work schedule.

Pops Fun
07-11-2007, 06:59 AM
Hi
I was carrying when I took my truck to Nolan ford for service last week. Saw a no gun sign on there door and left the truck sitting in there garage door way til someone came. Then explained the situation and the gentleman did not get excited but said he would bring the paper work to me. Got the truck put in the express lane and was done in a jiffy. Mean while the service manager wanted me to lock my gun in the glove box then give him the key. :lol: I declined and waited outside. All in all not to bad. Oh while waiting I was looking at a new mustang and a sales guy came out. He left rather quickly when I explained that I couldn't buy there because I was exercising my right to carry.

Steve

ewalt
07-11-2007, 12:21 PM
No you can't carry in a bar. The rule here is if the establishment make 51% or more of their revenue from alcohol one can't carry in that establishment.

Stupid law in my opinon. Well pretty much all gun control is stupid in my opinion.

Though concealed means concealed, right?

Yeah, concealed that's true, but here at least it also means a felony :mad:. Oh well. Our concealed law is so screwed up. I opened carried in a meijer and a walmart recently just to exercise my right, and then came to find out that it's very likely a court could rule I commited a felony by carrying in an establisment that had a D permit to sell alcohol on a sunday. I personally had no trouble, and only two guys that I noticed even noticed me. Prolly won't be doing that for a while.

The law says something to the effect that you can't carry in any place that dispenses alcohol under a D permit. D permits are for bars (or other establishments that serve alchohol for onsite consumption) but also any place that just wants to sell alcohol on a sunday must have a subclass of the D permit to do so. It literally uses the word "dispenses" and some take that to mean if the place dispenses for on site consumption. However, it doesn't say that at all in the law. It just says dispense, and if you look up the definition of dispense it doesn't say anything about serve for on site consumption........ obviously. So basically who knows, and unless you're willing to become the test case, might not be bright to carry in kroger, meijer or any place like that. I for one will still conceal in those places and take my chances, logically no one will know I even have the damn thing unless I have to use it. And if something happens where I'm forced to protect myself it's better to risk getting convicted of carrying in a D establishment than being dead.

At least with KY's 51% rule I can carry in a normal restaraunt that serves. And certainly I can't carry if I am drinking anything correct? Moot point anyway really since I would have to come back to ohio regardless, again, pretty sure that's a felony LOL. One other quick question... Do we have to notify in KY when aproached by an LEO? I prolly would just out of respect anyway.....

cstreu1026
07-11-2007, 12:34 PM
I took my class at Target World as well, and while I don't think its best place to go shoot or the best place to buy a gun I think the training I received was pretty decent.

And yes the Ohio CCW law sucks! Its hard to understand and is open to many different interpetations. I haven't carried in Ohio at all and only a couple of times in Kentucky. I would have a hard time now since its tough to conceal a full size 1911 or a .22 with a red dot mounted on top. I guess I just need to go buy a new gun. :D

Black92LX
07-11-2007, 12:41 PM
At least with KY's 51% rule I can carry in a normal restaraunt that serves. And certainly I can't carry if I am drinking anything correct? Moot point anyway really since I would have to come back to ohio regardless, again, pretty sure that's a felony LOL. One other quick question... Do we have to notify in KY when aproached by an LEO? I prolly would just out of respect anyway.....

You can carry and drink there is no law against it. I don't advise it because if you were to be in a shooting you know the attorney's would be hounding on that point.

Mista Bone
07-11-2007, 03:59 PM
Before CCW came into effect, I ALWAYS informed the LEO when pulled over. I got pulled over by state patrol for speeding coming back from Xenia/Spring Valley shooting range. The guns were stored in the back, but I had loaded clips in the same carry bag. When I was pulled over, both hands on the steering wheel after turning the car off and placing the keys on the dash. Before the cop could say anything, I stated that I have guns in the car and was going home from the shooting range, none of the guns are loaded.

"We'll lets see what you got......"

He did explain to me that while the loaded mags in the same range bag as the gun is a techincal "no-no" most cops would overlook it unless I was doing something stupid and they wanted to tack on another charge.

I've only openly carried ONCE. Back during the riots I had to pick up a friend of the exwifes. She has CP (cerabal palsy) and is confined to a wheel chair. While it was calm at 4am, they had destroyed two cars....this was Norwood! I picked her up and took her to back to the ex's trailer in Madeira until things calmed down.

BigBadStang
07-11-2007, 11:44 PM
Carrie...welcome to the CCW club!
if anyone wants to get their CCW, and are in the butler co. area...
try the hamilton PD.
i took my class there, and it was a VERY good class, and the cost was only 65 bucks. they use the proceeds to fund their honor guard, and you qualify at the HPD shooting range. they will provide the firearm(s) if you dont have one, and they provide the ammunition.
they dont advertise this class, they rely on "word of mouth".
if interested contact Sgt. Ed Buns at the Hamilton Police Department.

as far as places that post "no guns", i will NOT patronize these businesses!
if you were a crook, would you rather knock off a store with a "no guns" sign, where you pretty much know everyone in there is a sitting duck, or would you take a try at a store where someone, if not everyone, could be packing?
bottom line is "no gun" signs encourage crime in those areas... we all know crooks abide by signs and laws :rolleyes:.

Mista Bone
07-12-2007, 01:38 AM
There is an Ohio CCW board, they list places that don't allow firearms, along with other good reading.

if I could only remember the URL :(

ewalt
07-12-2007, 09:50 AM
http://www.ohioccwforums.org

http://www.ocohio.org

Are just two. OCOhio.org is very new btw.

MrsAPE
07-12-2007, 09:23 PM
Hi
I was carrying when I took my truck to Nolan ford for service last week. Saw a no gun sign on there door and left the truck sitting in there garage door way til someone came. Then explained the situation and the gentleman did not get excited but said he would bring the paper work to me. Got the truck put in the express lane and was done in a jiffy. Mean while the service manager wanted me to lock my gun in the glove box then give him the key. :lol: I declined and waited outside. All in all not to bad. Oh while waiting I was looking at a new mustang and a sales guy came out. He left rather quickly when I explained that I couldn't buy there because I was exercising my right to carry.

Steve

:rofl: that's one way to get fast service and deal with the salesmen!!