PDA

View Full Version : Overheating?!

1_slo_92
07-10-2007, 08:03 AM
On my way to work last night I looked down and my car was at the 3/4 point on the temp gauge. I pulled over and in a matter of seconds it dropped drastically and went back down to 1/4 (where it always has sat)

I drove it into work with a close eye on the guage and never went up again.

This morning after I got off work I went out and started it and let it warm up to make sure it wouldn't do it again and if it did I could asses the situation. Well it did. but it never backed down.

The motor is warm/getting hot but the radiator is ice cold

Thermostat? thats what im thinking and im replacing but any other info would be great!!

Thank goodness I caught it before it overheated, it just got warmer than usual:chicken:

RACEME
07-10-2007, 09:16 AM
Yup, that is pretty much a thermostat. The cold radiator tells you that the thermostat is keeping the hot water in the motor.

1_slo_92
07-10-2007, 09:47 AM
ok I was thinking the same thing but heres my next ? How the heck do you keep the thermostat in place while attemting to put the housing back on?! it keeps falling down a little bit and letting the coolant come out the bottom of the housing. Tried to do this 3 times already with no success.

plated
07-10-2007, 09:55 AM
put the thermostat in the housing then use a light film of silicone on the gasket wich will hold the thermostat in the housing,but let the silocone dry good other wise it will just fall out again.but only a light film don't goop it on,let dry for 5-7 minutes,after it's running again let it run with the radiator cap off till it warms up it will push the air out(burp),then refill and top off your antifreeze

1_slo_92
07-10-2007, 10:05 AM
:HYF: for me! Should have thought about that. Seems like this would be my first car ever. Maybe it's because i've been awake for 37 hours LoL. Thanks plated:bigthumb

RACEME
07-10-2007, 10:11 AM
I have also used trim adhesive (gorilla snot) to hold the thermostat and gasket in place with good results.