PDA

View Full Version : changing lower intake gaskets

mustangrfast88
07-12-2007, 06:23 PM
what all is involved with changing the lower intake gaskets and what all do i need

dedpedal
07-12-2007, 06:26 PM
are you speaking of the upper to lower or lower to heads?

mustangrfast88
07-12-2007, 08:25 PM
the lower to the heads

dedpedal
07-13-2007, 07:09 AM
Its pretyy straight forward. Just take pictures of where everything goes or grab a manual. The only trick I can think of is to use rtv on the valley gasket area instead of the cork things that come with the replacement gaskets. P is for plenty.
Im sure theres someone around you that would come over and help if you think you need it.

Jeff88coupe
07-13-2007, 08:02 AM
Yep...just use a nice thick bead of black rtv on the front and back of the intake valley. Also work threw the torque sequence on the lower a few times when you put it back on (~15ft/lb is all you need..work middle out in a X pattern).

mustangrfast88
07-13-2007, 11:15 AM
yeah i got a buddy that is going to help me tonight so it will be ready for powerfest then after i get it all done and put together i got to go detail it

95vertstang
07-13-2007, 08:30 PM
make sure not to move the gaskets while setting it in try to come straight down with it i slid it around while setting it in place and now i have a little bit of an oil leak so i get to do it again

mustangrfast88
07-18-2007, 11:24 AM
does the distributor have to come out to do the gaskets it dont look like that bad of job i just got to get around to doing it

mustangrfast88
07-18-2007, 11:26 AM
yeah i didnt get it done the night before powerfest we just cleaned the engine up and all to make sure it wasnt leaking and it didnt but it needs to be done but i am waiting for a ported and polished intake before i do the job

mustangrfast88
08-01-2007, 09:30 AM
not to bad of a job i mean it took 6 hours to do since the motor was so sludged up and took 3 hours to clean all the parts

5.0calypso93lx
08-01-2007, 12:15 PM
not to bad of a job i mean it took 6 hours to do since the motor was so sludged up and took 3 hours to clean all the parts

Yea, its not that bad. When I do it by myself, I have 4 long bolts that I cut the heads off of, and thread them into the block at the four corners, and that allows me to set the intake straight down, so I don't move the gaskets. I made sure they were long so I had something to grab onto when I pull them out, and replace them with the proper bolts. I always dab a little bit of RTV on the gaskets too, so they stay in place, and don't move and block a port. I've always used the orange hi-temp RTV.

plated
08-01-2007, 05:53 PM
Yea, its not that bad. When I do it by myself, I have 4 long bolts that I cut the heads off of, and thread them into the block at the four corners, and that allows me to set the intake straight down, so I don't move the gaskets. I made sure they were long so I had something to grab onto when I pull them out, and replace them with the proper bolts. I always dab a little bit of RTV on the gaskets too, so they stay in place, and don't move and block a port. I've always used the orange hi-temp RTV.

good idea young grasshopper:cool1: