PDA

View Full Version : Ingersoll-Rand 2135QTi Impact wrench

Paul408Notch
07-13-2007, 12:03 AM
Well I've been keeping my eyes open for a good 1/2" impact wrench for a little while now, and ended up putting a bid in on one on ebay last week. The one I have is a gigantic POS and can't even break lug nuts loose, so there's really no point in having it.

I didn't expect to win since the normal price for this thing is near 300 bucks, but I put in the $175 opening bid. A couple of days later I get an email from ebay saying I won. To be honest, I was kind of expecting somebody would out-bid me, so I wasn't planning on dropping that kind of cash. Oh well, I didn't want to end up with any negative feedback, so I just paid the guy and waited.

Well it showed up last night, and let me say... this may be one of the most kick-ass impacts I've ever used. (Maybe even stronger than John Force if that's possible Craig.) The "Ti" in the name means that it's got a titanium housing, so the whole thing is less than 4lbs, and the "Q" means it's the quiet model. It's SUPER quiet. Usually when an impact is going, it makes that semi-high-pitched whirring noise that's pretty loud, but this thing is something like 20db quieter than a normal impact.

Being so light and quiet, I didn't think it would be as powerful as they said, but it's got some serious torque. I went out to my truck and started loosening and tightening any big bolts I could find. (I know, I'm a dork.) This thing didn't hesitate once. From the manual, it says it's got up to 750 ft/lbs of torque, and 1000 lbs of "nut-busting" torque whatever that is, and only uses 4scfm of air, so it doesn't drain your air tank instantly.

The torque dial is big and easy to use, as is the forward/reverse selector, and the air inlet swivels so your air hose doesn't get all tangled up.

So I'm very happy with it, and unlike my initial thoughts, I have zero buyer's remorse. Tons of power, very efficient, lightweight, and I got a really good price on it. I think I'll give it a 4.8 out of 5, just deducting .2 points because it wasn't free. :D For anybody looking for one, if you drop the Q from the part number and look for the 2135Ti, it's exactly the same, except it doesn't have the super-quiet thing. It's a few bucks cheaper that way too.

Mista Bone
07-13-2007, 12:11 AM
I used one tonight, set it down on "1" and was zipping off bolts left and right.

Who was the seller on ebay?

Paul408Notch
07-13-2007, 01:06 AM
I can't remember, but he had a zero feedback, so I kind of doubt he has anymore.

Mista Bone
07-13-2007, 05:02 AM
I'm used to my old CH impact, perfect for the lower torque setting on my Hondas. With a GOOD impact like the one you just bought I could really break some bolts.

Quiet and low air comsumption, I bet I could get the regulator down to 80-90 psi and STILL have plenty of muscle.

RACEME
07-13-2007, 05:50 AM
I have had the same model for 3 years. I got made fun of for getting the quiet model, but I have never had a bolt it would not break loose (or break the stud if you keep trying).

Nice toy Paul!

Gene
07-13-2007, 09:05 AM
I've got some sort of Ingersoll-Rand mega-torque model...the thing kicks ass.

Impacts are one of those things that are well worth spending the money on a high quality one. I think mine cost around $250, and it's worth every penny.

RACEME
07-13-2007, 10:28 AM
I paid $340 for mine. With the power/torque the 1/2" model has, I don't see ever needing a bigger one.

Paul408Notch
07-13-2007, 01:58 PM
I debated getting the 3/8" drive model since it still has tons of power and was smaller, but I don't have any 3/8 impact sockets. This thing is awesome though.

Timido
07-13-2007, 04:37 PM
I have a 3/8s and 2 1/2 inch ones The first 1/2 inch IR impact after 10 years of everyday abuse never oiling it throwing it on the ground all the time I had a problem with the trigger. They are light they take a ton of abuse and it is the only impact I would buy. Mine are the composite ones but they are not the quiet ones. I plan on taking the one apart and ordering some $3 part to fix it. Word of caution they will break lots of bolts.

mustangie
07-14-2007, 11:44 PM
they work well for breaking honda crank pulley bolt loose that bolt is alway's tough

Mista Bone
07-15-2007, 04:57 AM
The trick to Honda's is soaking in PB Blaster. I think the IR would break more Honda bolts than anything......like too much horsepower, easy on the trigger finger!

Timido
07-15-2007, 11:32 AM
Where I work now if the IR 1/2 doesnt get it I pick up a 1" impact. I now have wrenchs that go to 2" also. at home the 3/8 IR does just about everything

BigBadStang
07-17-2007, 09:25 PM
i have an IR 434A i bought new back when they first came out. at the time it was the strongest 1/2" on the market, and it still performs perfectly to this day! cant go wrong with an IR!

somedude56
07-18-2007, 01:45 PM
I wanted the IR titanium model but not having the greatest job and already dropping 500 the extra 150 I woulda spent wouldve just been to much for me :mad:. I got the craftsman 1/2 composite (similar in size/ pretty small,light) with 600 ft lbs and I really like it. Its not like im working on semis either but I was using the IR for quite a while and it really kinda spoiled me.

Foxxx5oh
07-18-2007, 02:02 PM
i love my ol IR 1/2" impact...the thing is amazing to say the least!