PDA

View Full Version : 1978 Fairmont V8 project and Parts - $1200

Eastmont
07-13-2007, 02:12 PM
Call it a vandalism sale. My 78 Fairmont that I have been working on off and on for two years now got most of its windows busted out last night (along with a few out of my wife's daily driver Saturn). Apperently, there were a lot of break-ins in the area, and somewhere, some golf clubs were stolen, so they busted out my windows with a couple of them. :mad:
But enough backstory, here's the deal, I want to have garage space soon for the daily driver, which means ditch the car, and parts, So if someone wants this, they'll need a trailer and decent sized pickup. A few buddies to help move stuff would help, too, as I'm not overly motivated to lift heavy stuff myself right now. Also, it may take a while to get to everything, but I want out, and I want the parts out before I had over the car, just to insure they go. Here's what I've got:

78 Fairmont Futura (less than 90K miles)
89 5.0HO long block (was told it had about 80K miles on it)
Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
Holley Street Avenger Carb
Stock mustang headers
Summit 2.5" H-pipe
C4 Transmission with what I've been told is a 2800 Stall converter (i've only driven it up and down my driveway, and it seems to work, but no guarantees)
B&M Starshifter
Bucket seats from a 1st-gen DSM
Flaming River Manual Steering conversion
New 96-up Ford Lower control arms
Mustang front springs (1 coil cut out)
New struts
New Radiator

The car has some surface rust, and the paint isn't the best. As far as I can tell, it only has two small rust holes, one in the trunk, and one where the pivot for the ebrake is. I was planning on just switching it over to a mustang handbrake. I have't wired up a neutral safety switch for the shifter, so to start it, you need to jump it at the solenoid right now. The H-Pipe is being held up by bungie cords, since I didn't want to permanently mount it until I was ready to do the rest of the exhaust. The rear brakes don't work, and I didn't try to fix them, since I have an 8.8" rear I was planning on installing. All the glass except the drivers side has been broken.

Here's the parts (they have to go, too)
1978 302 block - needs rebuilt
two C4 transmissions, one is probably toast, the other is unknown.
The bench seat from the fairmont.
8.8 rear end from a mustang, gears unknown, I assume they are 3.08 or 2.73
Stock mustang rear control arms
rear shocks
rear springs from a mustang
A set of stock mustang lower control arms with a sway bar
87-93 spindles, and most of the brake hardware
5 ten hole wheels with crappy tires.
and other minor stuff

I'm already taking a massive loss, and if I have to hold onto this stuff, I'll just part it out, but I'd rather not. Whoever can come up with the money and ability to haul it all away first gets it. I have a clear title on the Fairmont, and everything is as-is. The $1200 price is good pretty much this weekend only. The side view pic is from a couple of weeks ago, the others were taken this morning after I discovered the damage.

Email me at ohiotim at hotmail dot com or call 753-6624 and ask for Tim if you're seriously interested, and have the means to get this. I'll also check PMs, but not as often as I check email.

xgtracex
07-13-2007, 07:59 PM
PM sent

Eastmont
07-13-2007, 08:36 PM
PM sent

Replied to your PM, and also relized some of it could be useful for others to know ahead of time, so here it is:

Right now, its driveable enough to pull it onto a trailer, without swapping out the rear end. To make it roadworthy, it would probably be best to swap the rear, which may or may not require shortening the driveshaft. I think it'll be okay, as there's at least 1.5" of slip left in the yoke. Otherwise, to make it roadworthy, you probably want to install a mustang ebrake and cables, finish the exhaust, trace a leak in the transmission (it may just be a loose fitting on one of the cooler lines, I haven't gotten under the car to check). While the rear is off, it'd be a good time to swap out the springs, shocks, and control arms for the parts I have already, it'd be a good idea to install a neutral safety switch on the shifter, or bypass the circuit, so the key will start the car, and more permanently wire the fuel pump.

There are a few other smaller things it could use, but those are the most critical

Eastmont
07-14-2007, 08:15 AM
Rearranged my garage a bit, so it'll be a lot easier to get to parts. Looks like I also have a few alternators, a spare starter, a cut-up H-Pipe with cats ($ at the recycler), some pulleys, spare valve covers, a 2 barrel carb from the old V8, Fox mustang oil pan, spare timing cover, and other assorted stuff. Could also throw in a set of old Maverick taillights if you really want them.

Oh yeah, the Holley is a 570 cfm. I was building the car primarily for the street, so I wanted good throttle response. Price is negotiable if I can keep the carb, if you don't want it.

Eastmont
07-15-2007, 08:35 AM
Today only (Sunday, July 15), price is dropped to $1000. I really want this out of here. Can stand looking at it right now. If not sold today, price goes back to $1200 until I start parting it out.

Eastmont
07-18-2007, 04:22 PM
Still for sale, probably won't get around to trying to sell pices of it for a few weeks at the earliest. Please don't be fooled by the negativity in my first post. This is a solid car with a great running engine.

rally
07-18-2007, 04:31 PM
sent pm

Eastmont
07-25-2007, 10:03 PM
Sold the 8.8 and the uninstalled rear suspension parts. Car is price dropped to $900.

mr_malina
07-25-2007, 10:06 PM
So it has no rear axle now?

Eastmont
07-25-2007, 10:20 PM
So it has no rear axle now?

It still has the original axle and suspension installed. I think its a 7.5, but am not entirely sure.

Eastmont
08-05-2007, 09:32 PM
$800 This will be my final price drop until I start parting it out sometime in September.

Eastmont
08-29-2007, 09:52 PM
Sold off the steering rack before I planned to part the car. The original trashed rack is rigged back in so the car can still be moved around.

Price dropped to $650

I'll drop the price to $550 if I keep the carb
I'll drop it to $500 if I keep the carb and intake manifold.

rally
08-30-2007, 06:29 PM
let me know if you part it out i could use the front brakes and suspension

atbracn
09-17-2007, 11:08 PM
do you stil have the car for sale call me and let me know 256-0215 ask for brad thanks

Eastmont
10-07-2007, 09:43 PM
I've pulled the engine/trans, and am going to get the shifter and fuel pump tomorrow. At this point, I'm selling it as a roller for $250. If its not gone in a week I'll pull any easy to sell parts and have it junked.

Since so much has been removed, here's a quick summary of whats with it:
-1978 Fairmont Futura w/ busted windows (roller)
-Ford Motorsport Lower control arms
-newer brake calipers/lines/master cylinder
-poly sway bar end links
-your choice of turbine wheels with worn tires, ten holes with really worn tires or both
-Mitsubishi eclipse seats (installed)
-Original bench seat (out of car)
-original rear end with non-working brakes.
-fron mustang springs with one coil cut
-newer front struts

I'll be home pretty much all day Monday, and available on evenings the rest of the week.

IWRBB
10-08-2007, 03:46 PM
I am interested in that bench seat. My 78 Fairmont's bench seat track is screwed up on the drivers side. Is that one still intact?

Eastmont
10-08-2007, 05:02 PM
I am interested in that bench seat. My 78 Fairmont's bench seat track is screwed up on the drivers side. Is that one still intact?

PM'd you

wildstang89
10-08-2007, 06:06 PM
interested in the eclipse seats. Price?

Eastmont
10-13-2007, 04:40 PM
Okay, hasn't been sold, and now both sets of front seats are spoken for. At this point, make me an offer on whats left of the car, or if you want any particular parts, ask, and I'll name a price. I don't want to sell off anything that'll keep me from rolling it onto a trailer, though.

Eastmont
10-19-2007, 06:07 PM
Sold, please delete or lock this thread.